at what age you are planning to retire from your IT jobs?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Anvitha, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Anvitha

Anvitha Moderator Staff Member Gold IL'ite

Hi,

For the jobs having a preset retirement age doesn't have to face this at all , but for women in IT field like me for more than 15 years will surely get this question in mind I believe. Till when?

so till when we plan to work or till when these jobs will need us?
    as ours is the first generation to work in IT field we rarely get the example of a women working in this field till her 58's.

so please pour in your thoughts on retirement age . Even if it is not nearing that many years and still you have some idea on this topic please share yur thoughts here.

my idea is to work till my 50's if the job and my health permits.

thanks

3 people like this.

2. Deepu04

Deepu04 IL Hall of Fame

Hi anvitha.. Initially i planned to retire by 3 years..but 2 days back i completed my 6th year in IT field.. am planning to retire by next 4 years max... don know wat has been planned for me.. :)

2 people like this.
  3. ohara

ohara Gold IL'ite

I have been working in IT for almost 7 years but I am not really thinking of retiring in this field. Another 3-4 years to get some things in order and then I would like to pursue some thing else.

4. KavithaUS

KavithaUS Silver IL'ite

I think I will die prematurely if I stay in IT field for long. I want to retire as a school teacher, my childhood dream.

12 people like this.
  5. Anvitha

yep even i have plans to shift into a cool field like teaching in a near by school after some years or. I have already completed 15 years in this field.

its getting tough to update me continuously on the latest technologies and manage kids, home , office all effectively.

8 people like this.
  6. adinil

adinil Silver IL'ite

anvitha mam

i have completed 6 yrs in IT :)
    i have some priorities right now
    house
    savings
    education

once these are filled will try for my retirement but i knoe human needs are never satisfied

1 person likes this.
  7. NaveenaSasi

NaveenaSasi Gold IL'ite

Hi Anvitha.. I am really surprised to know that u have completed 15 yrs in IT.. I wonder how u managed everything at home & office.. As u get more experience, ur responsibilities would definitely grow too.. I have just completed 3 and half yrs in IT.. And I wish I manage to survive in this field for 7 or 8 more yrs.. But I cannot visualize myself working here more than 3 yrs nw.. Becoz now itself I am feeling difficult to update myself with emerging new tchnologies and manage house as well.. Please gimme some tips.. or some protocols that u had set up for urself to achieve this..

1 person likes this.
  8. pranatim

pranatim Platinum IL'ite

Given a chance I will retire now today. But I have a huge loan so cannot think of it. But max I can work is 5 more years. And then I will shift to teaching job and will start my own business.

2 people like this.
  9. Anvitha

Yep , i really finished 15 yrs in IT and when i really count on my years i get to know that i finished these many years.

out of these many years , my exp in my current company is 9yrs . so that's one tip I followed is less number of workplaces. Then you don't need to face the stress of moving and settling into the new job.

As I was in the same job while having my second son and the tough phases of his childhood needs I manged it by working in the same company with less stress and concentrate 10% more on family.

now he is also going to school and iam back to my pace. Elder one is almost settled like he is into IITs now. I can relax on finance front once he is into his earnings.

My husband is not into IT and he doesn't have much time even on weekends. I feel the couple in the same IT fields can better manage house as they get weekly 2 days off for both of them.
    By Gods grace some how i managed till now.

I keep my hobbies active to get the mental strength needed and try to plan work life balance by adjusting time in between.

12 people like this.
  10. vidyarp

vidyarp Bronze IL'ite

I have just completed 14 years in IT and (touch wood) going strong. I keep dreaming of switching to a cool career like teaching or doing something from home but in reality i know that this may not happen anytime soon. The grass always looks greener on the other side. Teaching is no cake walk. Each profession has its upside and downside. So never make the mistake of assuming that moving to teaching or home based business will get rid of all your current problems. If at all, they will bring in a new set of challenges.
    But yes we all yearn to be free - financially and work wise. We want to do what we like and make money at the same time. Its hard work. Even cricketers who love the game and have made it a profession, need to go through the grind. There are no free lunches in the world.
    So when does one retire? There is no one size fit all solution. Go on till you can, till you enjoy what you do, till you have fullfilled your obligations (financial or whatever), till you find an alternate source of funds, till you think its worth.....at the end of the day its a matter of choice and you choose what you think is right for you.
    For me - i take it 1 year at a time. I spent the years by staying in one company. And now as i progress in experience, i have switched 3 jobs. And i like the change ...no regrets. So long as i have something to keep me interested, i am fine.

Good luck and be strong

5 people like this.