How to project my work

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by amnilakshmi, Feb 8, 2013.

1. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi

I have been noticing for quiet some time that whatever work i do , i am not getting recognition in both office and at home. Today i noticed that people (colleague) are taking info from me and projecting those details and get recognised. Though i know everything i am unable to project. If i try to it gets messed up.

Even at home, whatever i do, i get a bad name and people do not recognize me.. Please let me know what could be the issue and how to handle this

2. TPandita

TPandita New IL'ite

I would say everyone is different with different areas expertise... u could be one of those with good ideas and lacking at execution of those ideas... I know some more people with same problem...

But you know what "one of them has worked on it really hard" and has recently got a promotion with hand written appraisal from his company's MD.

So I would say that "all the words you have written in this post prove that u know yourself very well now all you have to do is work on yourself to get better"...

3. maliniglow

maliniglow Gold IL'ite

It reminds me that we r saling in same boat. whatever I do I don't get recognized....Even the complicated tasks I do it, but the credit goes to another person. Though I do all the tasks and resolve others projects, I don't get a name and I m the unnoticed fella..

4. lalithabrahma

lalithabrahma Bronze IL'ite

It depends upon your Core Value. It appears to me that for you, it is important and meaningful if you put 100 percent attention to your work and accomplish the task. You are not interested in pleasing the person at work or home, but being responsible for the work is more important than pleasing/impressing others.

So learn about yourself/self-awareness is the key.

Just be yourself and be proud to be yourself.

Recognition will come by itself.

Be bold and ask your colleague...Would you allow me to put forth my ideas to my boss? I don't mind you joining me, but not take exclusive credit to yourself.

At home...Why do you get bad name? Most often, family members who are very concerned and take action, do get blamed, as compared to those that are non-committal..thats OK. If you are doing for every ones highest good, just ignore their reaction, but be bold to ask them why they consider you to be bad?

5. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

Do you get or make any opportunities to share your work yourself with your colleagues? I'm not sure what your line of work is or what your office set up is but make an effort to make yourself be visible. Officially or unofficially. Nothing, not even due credit, will come on a silver platter no matter how hard you work unless you make yourself visible :p

6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I have same personality issues. My former manager used to shout in every meeting - be visible. No matter how hard you work,and how good you are at it, if you are not visible, no value.

I work in cut throat competition. People speak even when there is nothing to speak. People do one line or coding or merely check emails, they speak 20 lines .
    wish i had that skill of projecting myself 10x more.
    I realized my problem in confidence. I speak better in smaller groups. In big meeting rooms with many people I feel lost. In smaller rooms, and less people i am confident.

Also If i know people personally with no barriers, i work better. With strangers, distributed teams, I am no good. Somehow I start with assumption, other person is expert and i at loss of words. Later iwll realize i am far better..
    so we know our problems,all we need to do is work on those.

7. beanstalk

beanstalk Gold IL'ite

Communication is the key. I have personally found it is not the smartest people that succeed, it is the people who know their value and can sell themselves that make the highest money.

Their is an important balance here. Somebody who talks very well and sells himself very well will fail in longer period of time. I had experience with somebody like this. He dishes out a lot of bull**** and is very good at convincing all the upper management., The problem then is eventually may be in 6 months- 1 yr or sometimes 2 yrs, they will notice that for all the high words he has been throwing around, he has had nothing to show for it, and not a lot of developers have faith in his work/ideas and he scores out.

But if you are somebody who can throw words around and back it up with solid work, you are golden.

You need to learn how to market yourself. Communicate with people with ease, be it manager or your junior. Don't be scared of bull**** guys. Asking questions, showing interests put you in their field of view.

And about home, don't worry for now. For a working woman, things get tangled at home and work. How you are feeling in one place affects how you feel at other place too. Being confident in one place , makes you confident in the other one. I would suggest figuring out primary thing that disturbs you and resolve that and then move to the next one, otherwise you would keep feeling all jumbled up.