working mom-time saving tips

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by yams, Nov 10, 2011.

1. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

Hi to all working mothers here!

we know that being one you efficiently manage your time to both work and also to take of your DS and DD.

as a one among them share how do you effectively manage time in spending time with your children and also be good at your work.

i am sure your time saving experiences and tips would be much useful to others who struggle to.:bonk

1 person likes this.

2. kiranavvari

kiranavvari Gold IL'ite

This is what I do

1. I list down all the items that I need to buy, and visit market only once per week to get all things. Like I buy vegetables, fruits, snacks, any stationery items that my DD requires, any laundry, other small works I plan and do on the same day. So even it takes 3-4 hrs to finish all, but saves me a lot of time for frequent visits to market.

2. Prioritize all the activities. For example, if I need to do the things, like cooking, cleaning, and DD studies, I give top priority to DD studies, then cook light meals, and least priority is for cleaning.

3. I plan my menu for the next day and include DD and DH in that if they are OK, like this, I dont need to plan alternates in the morning if DD or DH doesn't like something, and I also need not waste my time to think/search for something to prepare their food. As they agree to it, they are also happy. Ofcourse, there are always exceptions :)

4. I talk over phone to my close friends or parents when I am doing all my household chores. So, I never missed any friends. It gives me great pleasure. Sense of having some "ME" time. They dont' mind of all sounds of my household chores, as they too are in the same boat :)

5. Evenings when I am back from home, I let my DD sometime for play with her friends at home or watch TV, like this, I get sometime to finish cooking. I plan dinner such that it takes short time for preparing. Like this, DD gets uninterrupted attention from me later on. She is happy with that undisturbed attention.

6. Try not to miss out the little extra time to lay down on bed along with her, before her sleep to read her some stories. This way, she is full happy that I am reading to her.

7. Weekends, I let my DD to let watch TV for some extra time, or play for extra time, this way she is also happy, and I can finish off my cleaning, and washing. Once I finish my cleaning, I join with her to play, so she is extremely happy. While going market, I take her along with me, so that she too knows what is required at home, she is exposed to money matters, and buys what she wants, or I take her consent to buy few things etc, so she feels privileged.

8. I involve my DD in organizing stuff at home, so she too gets to know where and all things are kept, so that she would understand where to keep the item after use, and she know where any item is present, if it required.

9 Last but very important for me, I try to cut short my meetings with people who feels pity on me / my DD. This make me feel guilty that I am not able organize enough, and, the guilt feeling drains my energy, not able to do actively anything. Result is I get frustrated, and shout at DD/ DH.

If I avoid those kind of people, I feel good about myself. If I am happy, my family is happy.

- Kiran.

3. anjananathan

anjananathan Platinum IL'ite

4. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

Those where really great tips kiran..especially as a wonderful mother you take of your DD at the same time make her happy by letting her to play and you complete the works side by side..wow great!!!

keep sharing such useful tips like this

5. Mrudhani

Mrudhani Silver IL'ite

:thumbsupYou are a professional home maker. Keep it up. Well planned!!!
    By the way how old are ur kids?

6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

I have been working over the past decade and except when my kids were really tiny, I didnt have an issue with time. I also find time to do the shopping,paying off bills, cards since my DH has a hectic job which keeps him out of stations from time to time:The time he is in town we rather have fun than pay off bills :)
    Our week is from Sunday to Thursday (Friday, Saturday off)
    Saturday I get the menu for the week ready for the following 5 working days, it is usually a lot of mix and match. I post this menu on the fridge for the maid to follow! I ask the maid to wash, pat dry and store the following veggies in containers for use in most of the dishes I make;Peppers (green, red, yellow), carrots, Marrow,greenchilly, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, lettuce, mint, cilantro and cabbage leaves. Also peel garlic, shallots, ginger and big onions. I do germinate peas/moong/chick peas for used in all the weekly dishes and also consumed raw.
    Cooking over the weeK is fun with the above veggies in meats/chicken, baked casserols, fried rice, noodles, mixed sabji. I reach home by 3.30 pm, shower, have an elaborate lunch, sleep for 10 mins and the kids are home. They too shower, quick lunch and drive (the drive takes 30 mins) out for outdoor sports. I dirve them for their football/basket ball sessions twice a week or piano lessons once a week. Daily 6.30 to 7.30 is for studies. 7.30 to 8.00 pack your bags. 8 to 8.30 do small nothings with the kids. Dinner is served at 8.30, followed by brushing, prayers and sharp 9 pm in bed. No TV on week days, only on weekends /holidays.:clap
    Fish is bought every Friday (50% is curried and the rest of which is marrinated and frozen for use over the week), buttermilk is made on Tuesdays which lasts for 2 -3 days. I have kept 3 sets of uniform for each (besides their sports uniform). This ensures that the uniforms are ready in advance. I organise my work clothes for the week on Friday, depending on the indoor/outdoor meetings. I always have a spare swimming/sports kit for the children in the car incase I forget to put it in the morning, I will have them at hand if needed when i drop them at school. I do keep a few scarves, a pair of formal shoes and a jacket in the car for sudden meetings.:goodidea:
    Wednesdays a big bowl of pasta is cooked, which again gives my cooking a variety, they go into casserols,salads besides eating them as the pure Italian pasta. Elaborate cookings like Avial, Sambar, Birayani are reserved for special occasions. After 9 pm is for us as couples, we either skype friends /family or watch a movie or just :cheerschill! Sometimes, just to spice things up we order a late delivery and have a cozy dinner together. Kidz r compensated for this by either having their friends over/a mall/movie trip with friends etc on week ends.We use this time for long drives, visit to the church, friends etc. so that we are in time to pick them up.Thus goes my rock n roll life....:cool2:

18 people like this.
  7. ArunaRSanthosh

ArunaRSanthosh Platinum IL'ite

kiran

very nice plan, kudos.

megalife
    good plan and its very organised too.

1 person likes this.
  8. yams

yams Platinum IL'ite

Hi megalife!

A well scheduled and organised plan Thanks for sharing dear

1 person likes this.
  9. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Megalife,

very nice plan which is very well organised...
    Wish you all the best..

1 person likes this.
  10. uraparna

uraparna New IL'ite

One more tip: I pay bills online. This saves time in paying bills, visiting ATMs for cash withdrawal and moreover helps me with my accouting.