Software Testing Career

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by manjumnair, Oct 3, 2007.

1. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I read about the Software testing in the other thread what are the software skills in demand now.

Because I got married immediately after marriage and there was shifting and travel and then pregnancy and my child to take care of, I couldn't go for work. Now I am working at home, that too, not much involved in the software development... have some knowledge in the SEO field, but wants to have a change now.

I really wanted to work from the beginning. No one was there for taking care of my baby and I didn't want to drop her in a day care at a small age. Now that she started going to school, I think I have much time to spare. So would like to start working now. But don't know how to start.

Does a course in Software testing help me in starting a career? Also, I am 27 now... Is it very late for a start? Please advice...

1 person likes this.

2. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Manju,

It is never too late to start a job or to start a career. I changed my career from sales and marketing to IT when I was 28...so go figure...:)

Find out a good training institute that has courses on testing software..check out the jobs online on what skills and software are in demand. Go and study those. Then you will be all set to join the work force..:)

All the best!!

3. MythiliMurali

MythiliMurali Bronze IL'ite

4. ktpadma

ktpadma New IL'ite

hi Manju,
    Its never too late to start a career.However it is essential to know about the basics of testing and atleast few automated tools.Automation has good market in testing as of now.QTP,winrunner,silktest are some of the testing tools to name a few.
    Testing is a excellent choice for ladies especially in india.
    I think there is a centre in chennai named STC or STG not sure of the name where they give the good training on testing and testing tools.You could take up the course.
    you could also google in the internet to find lot of materials for testing.
    Loadrunner is a performance testing tool where you go to the mercury website and download the 10-day trial version of loadrunner.you could read the contents from the help menu.But remember download loadrunner only if you plan to get into performance testing.
    There are several other kinds of testing.Choose the one you are comfortable with.

---Padma

5. VasumathyBalaji

VasumathyBalaji Senior IL'ite

Hi manju,

As i am being a senior test engineer, i can suggest you to prepare well for manual testing first. Then as the next stage u start learning some performance tools like load runner. As the current trend, QTP plays the major role in all the software companies. But even in the organistion, only few people are expertised in that.

After your completion of all these courses start writing some interantional testing certifications like ISTQB( International software testing quality board) and CSTE (Certified software testing Engineer).Because when u go for interviews, all these certification will give u added weightage to your resume.

All the best for ur carrer!!!!

Happy Testing!!!!!!!

Keep mailing for more information.

:cheers
    Vasu

6. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

That was a nice info vasumathi...
    What is your suggestion for a beginner with no IT background?

7. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Dear Vasumathy,
    Thank You for the informative post regarding the software testing career. I would like to know if age will become a criteria when I apply for jobs after completing these courses ?

8. VasumathyBalaji

VasumathyBalaji Senior IL'ite

Hi manju and shravanthika

Age is not the bar for software testing professional and this is the only IT field in which u no need to have any experience or the profesional degree.

The basic two common things :

* Should have good communcation
    * Sound skills in Testing
    * Should basic work around for the problem while u face it during software testing

Happy Testing!!!!!!!!!

cheers
    Vasu

9. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

thanx once again vasu...

would you mind me asking more abt the courses one should take in detail....

also any particular institutes in chennai ....how long does it take for one to complete...

10. ManuuRaghuu

ManuuRaghuu Senior IL'ite

Hi Vasumathy,

When i went through the sites ASQTB & CSTE to find more information, it seemed to me that candidates who are already working in the field of Software Testing are only eligible for taking the exam, as there are asking for the employer details in the registration forms.

I dont have any working experience in software testing.Can i take the tests?Kindly help me.