How much can you earn from Content Writing?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by vandanarajesh, Jan 12, 2010.

1. vandanarajesh

vandanarajesh Bronze IL'ite

This post is in response to the ILite “Natpudan’s” query on how much can one earn for 5-6 hours of work per day? Remuneration is definitely the key motivator to working. However, in the initial stages work to create a clientele that you can trust to give you regular work. Post a few articles under your name on ezinearticles.com (after going through their submission guidelines), associatedcontent.com or start a blog/hub page so that it adds to your credentials.

The remuneration would however, vary depending on the experience, the hours you are ready to work each day and also the clients. Freelancing has its own advantages however, the problem with it is to find regular work, thus, it becomes important that you do find more than one client to work with and balance the work. If there is one single client promising you regular work and good pay then this would be an ideal situation, otherwise you surely must have your backup plan in place so that you are assured of work each day.

When it comes to remuneration the rates may be on per assignment basis or per word. Some of the clients these days prefer to have a fixed salary basis for a given amount of work each month. A search online would get you articles of people talking of rates like $10-$15 per hour, however, it is best to be more realistic in expectations going by the existing trends. For those of you living in the US, finding better rates may be easier as the rates there are higher, however, in India, people still expect writers to be available at a very low rate.

You would be able to find a good amount of work for the rate of $2.5-3 for a 500 word article. This would be a good way to start and slowly build up on work and experience. There are clients who would promise you regular work for INR50 or even a ridiculous amount of INR 20, it is really not worth it as you would be slogging the whole day and not make anything worthwhile at the end of the week/month.

To put it realistically earning 10-15k (INR) per month will not be difficult for a beginner. As you add to your experience the rates would increase and you would be able to quote anywhere from 50paise to a rupee per word. For a writer who is ready to work full time from home (say 7-8 hrs) and has 2-3 years of experience in writing/blogging and good knowledge of SEO earning about 40k -50k for work from home will not be difficult.

The area of writing that you decide to enter will also make a difference to your remuneration. The rates are higher for technical and academic writing (but then the research and time involved for creating a piece of work is also much more) as against ghost writing articles for directory submissions. Work your way up by slowly making additions. Keep aside atleast half an hour each day to read up on SEO techniques and the trends and offers in the field. Adding to your knowledge and skills would help better prospects over time. Patience is the key.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2010
    sindmani, tcbhuvana, Sai21 and 8 others like this.

2. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Vandana,

Hats off to you for sharing your success story, not many reveal their success.:thumbsup

You have also been instrumental in mentoring people who would like to consider taking up your successful profession, sitting at home at leisure.:thumbsup

I do understand there is no easy way to make money, which ever profession you are in, it needs, dedication, sincerity, hard work and more of smart work like you mentioned.

It's a great motivational series thread, thanks to you Vandana.

The reason I asked you for more details is am a male on full time job and i need to bring in a consistent & sizeable income for a living to my family.

And it's heartening to know that if this profession is taken up seriously, then it can support a middle class family comfortably.

I shall give a serious thought.

Best wishes to you.

3. vandanarajesh

All the best to you Natpudan, really glad that I could be of help. Suggest you start with part time writing along with your existing job and as work gets good you could shift to working from home full time.

4. shanthalain

shanthalain New IL'ite

Dear Vandana

Your story is indeed an inspiration to those who want to get started.

Am taking on the same route pretty much n starting with some projects next week. However the pay seems to be very meager. Could you tell me what can one hope to earn by working at home as a beginenr n how much does it increase with experience ?

5. shanthalain

shanthalain New IL'ite

Hi Vandana

Please ignore my mail.......i see that you have already clarified my doubts.

6. shanthalain

shanthalain New IL'ite

Dear Vandana

Your write up has been verry useful and thank you so much for posting such detailed note and guiding us. Last ten days i have been doing content writing for a local company in Bangalore. Ofcourse i have been working from home. Most of the work has been travel content writing or product writing. All of my work has been accepted n uploaded without any editing n understand has been acceptable to the end client in US. Next week they plan to give me more quality work. I have been clocking 8-10 articles of 400 words per day. My issue is that they are offering Rs.50-60/article. Going by your mail there isn't any point in saying yes to this offer isn't it. I would like to hear your advise on how i should proceed further please.

Tks.Rgds.Shanthal

7. vandanarajesh

Hi Shanthalain...am glad that you have been able to make a start with your work from home job and are doing well. It does give you a lot of confidence (definitely feels gr8 when your article is accepted by the client and you earn due to your writing skills)...congrats. As regards the rates 50-60 Rs is definitely on the lower side however, suggest that since you have made a beginning and seem to be happy with it keep it going and side by side you could look for better offers. At this point since you are just getting started feel that a bird in hand is better than two in the bush.
    With some writing experience you would definitely be able to command better rates in the coming days. All the best:)

8. shanthalain

shanthalain New IL'ite

Hi Vandana

Thanks for your reply. :)Your mails have been a great help and moral booster for me specially when i was looking at the option of getting into writing. I am sure many others would benefit too.

Vandana, i have over 20+years of experience with varied industries like automotive, manufacturing etc and general management experience too. Therefore i want to be able to try and attempt to move up the value chain very fast. My further questions : Should i look for options other than web content writing also ? would it be useful to do a course in instructional design ?
    Taking your advise, i will stick on with the current project for now. Do they pay less because the kind of work of writing for travel and products is lowvalue work ? if so what is the higher value work in the same area ?

Regards
    Shanthala

9. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Dear Vandana,
    All your posts have been enlighting and you have shared your success tory with all of us, and it will be proved to be an example to look at. Thank you for the time you have taken up to help all of us here.

Though I am completely new with this, content writing has caught my eyes, thanks to you.

10. Krishna8

Krishna8 New IL'ite

Vow, really very helpful post. Thanks for sharing your work with us. I am very much eager to do content writing.