Work from home – my journey in the writing world

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by vandanarajesh, Jan 5, 2010.

1. vandanarajesh

vandanarajesh Bronze IL'ite

Taking a step further from my earlier post, Work from home – is it possible, I would like to take you along with me on how I began and my experiences in the writing world. What I have realized is when you have someone to let you know the do’s and don’t’s it sort of makes things easier. I hope at least some of you would benefit from my experiences and be able to start successfully from home.

The desire to be the perfect wife to my charming and loving husband and mom to my beautiful daughter were probably the bonds that made it difficult for me to leave home. I couldn’t imagine leaving my little one in the hands of a maid and sit in a posh office all day long attending meetings, deadlines and work on a job where I had no control over the course of events. I needed something that would let me be at home, work and also run my own show.

Having finished my M.Com from the prestigious Sydenham College of Commerce & Economics, writing was a completely new field. However, the opportunity to create beautiful works and express myself was really attractive. I started with writing for the “letters to the editor column” in the Deccan Chronicle which won me prizes and also recognition from the people at the newspaper. To test my writing skills further, I sent in a few articles to magazines like “Woman’s Era” and “New Woman” and they got published. This was the beginning and I hoped to find writing work in the online world that allowed me to work and be at home too.

Search for a work from home position went on with days turning into months. I didn’t know about Google adsense then, but now looking back probably I am responsible for creating several millionaires in the course of my search. When I had almost lost hope of finding work, I thought of giving the job site naukri.com a try. It was a regular job that I applied for but Lo and Behold!! I got a reply and the prospective employer was ready to give work from home a try. This was my beginning online. A big boost to my self-confidence I got started. From here I must admit there was really no looking back.

I slowly understood how the content writing system worked. Went on and applied to many other advertisements (will list some good sites to check out for work in the next few articles) and the response was good. You may have to make a compromise on the rates initially. This was however, a small price to pay for the experience you gain. With writing experience I soon realized that I needed to add more to my knowledge bank to make my resume more attractive. I was doing only ghost writing till then. I had to now start building an empire where people recognized my work with my name.

This is when I decided to start my own blogs. Blogs got my works online with my name and soon brought job opportunities my way. Reaching a stage from ghost writing to having works published under my name did take time and a lot of effort. The money here is good and will get better with experience. What started as a hobby is now a full time job that I restrict to 5-6 hours so that it doesn’t eat into my family time.

2. mohantina

mohantina Senior IL'ite

really u r gr8

but as i am already working lady..it is very difficult for me to leave my job and then give a try to work from home.. even i want to spend time wth my daughter... can u suggest some good data entry jobs online without investment

3. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

vandanarajeshr
    congratulations first for your success
    i guess most of them want to do work from homes but really dont go ahead and explore oppurtunities ..even if they do will not have patience to wait for success
    you proved it again then success will definitely come your way if you belive in yourself and do the smart+hard work
    way to goComputer Typing

4. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

vandana,

that's an inspiring success story. give as much details as possible so that it would help many more to go your way, if they take it seriously.

very few people share their success story and it's nice of you to do so.

to develop the interest do mention how much can be earned for the 5 - 6 hours of work a day.

i understand whatever you have now achieved did not come that easily.

like mohantina many will not be in a position to quit the job & try this out because of current commitments.

but if this income can be replaced in few years, probably they can attempt.

best wishes to you.

5. vandanarajesh

6. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Thanks Vandana. I read the other post & it's excellent.

7. vimala1957

vimala1957 Bronze IL'ite

splendid. It is nice you are making good use of your time and also able to take care of your daughter yourself, a very important duty.

8. vandanarajesh

Thks Vimala. Ya that's the reason why I got looking for a work from home opportunity. Your home and children need you, especially kids they grow up so fast that you will miss it all if you are not part of their growing up years. I like the idea of finishing with my work assignments and being there to listen to my daughter's stories when she is back from school. This job also affords me the luxury of having a cup of tea with my husband and going for a long walk in the morning/evening.

9. saishrudhi

saishrudhi New IL'ite

Hi mam,

This is the real fact which is faced by all of the working womens, because we do not find enough time to spend with our family........ And the most important one to take care of our precious ones.... It's because of their future and the present commitments we do find jobs outside but to be honest i am the one ready to leave my job for my family but at the same time need to balance the income. Pls tell me how to speak with u in person for having an clear idea......

Regards,

with Love,

R. Vidhya

10. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Congrats Vandana.

Can you give me the name of your blogs?

I would like to read them.:)