Gujarati Weddings

Discussion in 'Western India' started by Rupsats, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Rupsats

Rupsats New IL'ite

hi to all my gujarati friends out here!

I need help to find a way out of this...

This is regarding my brother in law's marriage..My brother in law(tamilian) is engaged to a gujarati girl... Now a big question has arised as to which style of wedding (tamilian or gujarati style) should we go ahead with !!! My mother in law not ready for a full gujarati wedding.. and the girl's parents insisting on a gujarati wedding..

I am trying to find the best solution for this.. Can both styles of wedding be performed on the same day?? If the mahurat is between 9 to 10 in the morning.. can both sides of wedding rituals be performed before the mahurat timings??

Also i want my gujarti friends to throw some light on the rituals peformed during the wedding.. and how much time does it take??

Awaiting your replies and :idea!!

2. jasikajohnson

jasikajohnson New IL'ite

Gujarati weddings are really a very nice and so many of ceremony in wedding like a garba,Mehndi,Haldi,Wedding,reception this and the wedding dress of bridal,groom was a fantastic and other family member's also and food are really nice and all enjoy this all ceremony and you see it's very interesting and very emotional all touch together,world best wedding in Gujarat.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  3. jasikajohnson

jasikajohnson New IL'ite

Gujarati weddings are really a very nice and so many of ceremony in wedding like a garba,Mehndi,Haldi,Wedding,reception this and the wedding dress of bridal,groom was a fantastic and other family member's also and food are really nice and all enjoy this all ceremony and you see it's very interesting and very emotional all touch together,world best wedding in Gujarat.

4. nicolajoseph1

nicolajoseph1 New IL'ite

Gujarati marriage is characterized by a series of pre-wedding, wedding and post wedding ceremonies. The wedding dresses for a wedding is the Gujarati Saree. The sari is used but in a different style to what is used by the rest of the Indian women. The bride is usually dressed in a red sari. These days lehenga cholis are becoming more famous among young girls. The groom wearing the traditional dhoti kurta.
    There are many rituals that take place before the wedding day. Ghari puja is held on the eve of wedding day at the home of the bride and groom.

5. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

One of husband's cousin got married to a Gujarati girl.So they had wedding at a temple and one reception in Baroda and other one in Chennai.Shortly my Niece is getting married into a different community.So we are having the wedding in a temple with only close relatives and a reception in Chennai as well as Coimbatore.

6. princepratt

princepratt New IL'ite

Chaniya cholis are very much in fashion and look good too. Infact, most of the people these days are wearing lehengas for their wedding. You can definitely go for it. However, you should definitely try it once before the wedding, to see how good it looks on you.

7. sejalmodi

sejalmodi New IL'ite

Gujarati Wedding Ceremonies are known for the colorful clothing, beautiful dance, umpteen scrumptious cuisines and grand ambience. The Gujarati Wedding like any other Indian wedding is also a ritualistic concept full of various poojas and interesting traditional customs.

A typical Gujarati Wedding begins with Sagaii or engagement. It is actually the first formal approval of marriage in the Gujarati community. It is a traditional ceremony when would be bride arrives at would be groom’s place for solemnizing the ceremony.

Then comes the pre-wedding ceremonies like Pithi, Mehndi and Mandap Muharat. A Grihshanti Pooja for the peace and prosperity of home is also performed prior to wedding.

Jaimala, Varmala, Kanya Daan and Mangal Phera are the rituals that are solemnized in the wedding apart from exclusive Gujarati rituals like Madhuparka, Hastamilaap, Saubhagyavati Bhava and Chero Pakaryo.

The post wedding ceremonies are equally interesting. An emotional ‘Vidai’ (biding good bye to bride), ‘Ghar Nu Laxmi’ i.e. welcome ceremony of the bride at groom’s home and ‘Aeki Beki’, an interesting game to find out who will rule the household are some interesting ceremonies of a Gujarati Ceremony.

@princepratt - Chaniya cholis are not worn on weddings; infact, lehengas are the most preferred these days.

Hope this helps.

Sejal

8. flowerbaby1234

flowerbaby1234 New IL'ite

go for Gujarati Wedding style. Its good n fun too.
    I like Tamil style too as I saw my sister;s wedding

9. andywily889

andywily889 New IL'ite

Last year I attended one gujarati weddings. There are three to four days function before gujarati weddings. It was awesome. During this time you can see only colorful clothing, beautiful dance. I really enjoyed it.

10. vidyaubba

vidyaubba Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Very happy to know about the marriage. 2yrs back my son married with a bengali girl we are telugu brahmin we performed marriage in our custom and then after a week all of us went to calcutta and their also again they perfomed in their style. Both times it was very grand and all were very happy esp. my mother-in-law who was 76 was extremely happy and enjoyed:). So u can do like that also.

Vidya:)