Nagaur Fort

Discussion in 'Western India' started by sushmasrivastav, Nov 26, 2009.

1. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,
    I have just returned from a tour of the Nagaur Fort. Nagaur is 293 kms from Jaipur and 162 km from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ajmer</st1:place></st1:City>. In fact it is midway between <st1:City w:st="on">Jodhpur</st1:City> and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bikaner</st1:place></st1:City>.
    The Nagaur Fort dates back to the 4th century. Even though time has taken its toll on the magnificent structure of the fort, I was very impressed with what I saw. The fort is considered the best-flat-land fort in the whole of Rajasthan.
    The <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Handi Rani</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Palace</st1:placeType></st1:place> is a must see. There are intricate carved designs all over its ceilings and walls. Then there are mural paintings depicting Maharani Handi Rani and her retinue.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009

2. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

I would love to read more about this fort!!!

3. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Thank you for the comment. Besides the Hadi Rani Mahal, other places worth seeing in the Nagaur Fort are the Deepak Mahal which has some lovely floral patterns and the Rani Mahal and Akbar Mahal. Both the Rani Mahal and Akbar Mahal were built during the Mughal era and show clear influences of classic Rajputana and Mughal architecture. We also visited the Krishna Mandir which has beautiful murals of Lord Krishna and his gopis. The nearby Ganesh Mandir has an idol of Lord Ganesha. Other places worth seeing are the cenotaph of Amar Singh, the glass <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Jain</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Temple</st1:placeType></st1:place> and the Tarkeen Dargah.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  4. HarleenSethi

HarleenSethi New IL'ite

Nagaur is also famous all over <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place> for its Cattle Fair. The eight day cattle fair is generally held in January–February. The fair attracts buyers from all over North India especially Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan, UP, Bihar and even <st1:place w:st="on">Maharashtra</st1:place>. In fact old timers say that the fair has been a regular feature since the 15<SUP>th</SUP> century.

A visit to the Nagaur Cattle fair will give the visitor a peek into a different aspect of Rajasthan – a world quite different from the usual Jaipur- Udaipur tourist circuit. Apart from cattle trading, the visitor will get to see camel races, camp fires, folk dances, puppet shows and even cock fights.

5. NitiSaini

NitiSaini Senior IL'ite

I too have visited the Cattle Fair at Nagaur. In addition to the Cattle Fair, visitors also flock to the Mirichi Mela ( Red Chilly) which is held around the same time.It is considered to be the biggest Mirchi Mela in India.

6. parihar

parihar New IL'ite

I live in Ajmer but never had been there.. i think i must plan a trip ASAP.

7. rohitash2

rohitash2 New IL'ite

Its such a amazing place to visit. I am from Rajasthan and i know this is very well. It is the symbol of great Rajput Kings.