Cord Blood Bank in Ahmedabad

Discussion in 'Western India' started by Ashapatel, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Ashapatel

Ashapatel Junior IL'ite

Dear friends
    I am based in Ahmedabad. My baby is due mid November. My class mate who stays in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">USA</st1:place></st1:country-region> has signed up for cord blood banking for her to-be-born baby. I would like to know whether cord blood banking is possible in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> particularly in Ahmedabad city.
    Any idea how much will it cost? If I go in for cord cell banking, is it going to prove to be worth the expense and bother? I need to convince my dear husband too!
    -Asha

2. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Hi Asha!
    One of my nieces recently delivered a baby girl in Ahmedabad. They had already signed up with Life Cell for cord blood banking. I think you have to inform them of the expected delivery date and ring them up when you head to the Hospital/ Labour room. The executive was there in the Delivery room itself donning a surgeon’s gown and all that. As soon as the delivery was over, they collected the cord blood and rushed off.
    I think it will cost about Rs 60,000 to 70,000 for cord blood banking. Some organizations also have an annual fee. Today, Stem Cells are being used to treat everything from Diabetes to Ovarian Cancer. With the steady advances in Stem Cell Research, I think it is a good idea to invest money in Cord Cell Banking for the benefit of the entire family.
    :coffee

3. SejalParikh

SejalParikh New IL'ite

This is interesting. My brother is a diabetic and his wife is expecting a baby. How will the stem cell help him?

4. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    Well, Stem cells are actually the building block for every type of cell in the body. A stem cell has the potential to develop into different cell types for example the heart or liver. Suppose you go in for Cord Cell Banking. Doctors will be able to isolate stem cells from the umbilical cord after child birth. A lot of research is presently going on in the area of stem cells all over the world. Many institutes have started offering stem cell cures to patients. In the near future, scientists will be able to actually use the stem cells to replace diseased or damaged cells and thereby cure your brother of diabetes.

5. movin497

movin497 New IL'ite

6. aditibose78

aditibose78 Silver IL'ite