Rajasthani Mojadi (Jutti)

Discussion in 'Western India' started by meerapodwal, Mar 31, 2009.

1. meerapodwal

meerapodwal New IL'ite

Mojari/Juti is handcrafted ethnic Indian footwear mainly produced in Rajasthan/Punjab. These eco-friendly footwear are made by artisans mostly using vegetable tanned leather. Made of fine leather and delicately embroidered with threads or beads, Jutties are slip-on in style.

These ethnic shoes were worn by Maharajas and Maharanis of Ancient India. The ornamentation is with silk or metal embroidery or beads and the designs are done in appliqué with thin leather pieces of different colors. This work is called as kashidakari.

Jootis are also dyed in various colors and have brass eyelets adorning them. The soles have designs or patterns stitched with thread. Jootis are uncomfortable for the first few days, they fit like a glove after they are worn for some time.

Do not forget to get yourself a pair of jootis the next time you visit Rajasthan.

[​IMG]

2. GayatriRathod

GayatriRathod New IL'ite

Interestingly leather art is one of the predominant industries of Rajasthan. Since the time of the Maharajas and Maharanis, leather has been used in different forms such as saddle for horses, shoes for warriors, etc. Have you heard of Kuppies?

Kuppies, a decorative art form of Rajasthan refers to water bottles of softened camel hide. They are the specialty of <st1:city><st1:place>Bikaner</st1:place></st1:city>, which is famously known for its painted perfume bottles, water jugs, vases and lampshades made from camel hide.

By the way, the leather work of Rajasthan is interestingly a joint effort of the local men and women. While the men do the tanning, cutting and stitching, the women do the embroidery and ornamentation.

3. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Wow...those are wonderful pairs of juttis. I'm a great-great fan of Rajasthani juttis and have got quite a few in my collection. The best part about this is that they are very comfortable and goes well with any ethnic Indian wear.

What I want to know is that, does this juttis have export value. I have seen foreign nationals wearing them in India. Do they have a viable market in the West?

Happy posting!
    Sonia

4. uttarkideepika

uttarkideepika New IL'ite

Meeraji, the jootis in the pics look beautiful. Rajasthani Mojadi really look royal with ethnic wear. However, its difficult to get the 'real' ones. Where can we get the authentic ones in Delhi. Can anyone suggest.

5. meerapodwal

meerapodwal New IL'ite

Thank you ladies. I'm glad that you liked the juttis. These mojadis are designed in Rajasthan and they are mainly decorated with silk, beads and metal embroidery. Jaipur is famous for its fancy and sophisticated footwear and are exported throughout the world mainly in European countries, where it has a dedicated clientele who visit Jaipur & Rajasthan frequently.

I'm not too sure where you can find Rajasthani juttis in Delhi, you may try the Rajasthan emporium or any handicraft fair.