Do you allow your kids to have their food in front of the Television?

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by Laxmi, Jul 19, 2009.

Do you allow your kids to have their food in front of the Television?

1. Yes

177 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. No

131 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Sometimes Yes

270 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Poll for the week - July 19th 2009 to July 26th 2009

This week's poll topic is about having your food - lunch, dinner - in front of the Idiot box - the television.
    These days the flats are designed such that the living area and the dining area is combined into a L -shaped hall. So kids tend to be glued to the Television when having their snacks/ food.
    So do you think the kids are no longer relishing the food because all their attention is on what is happening in the Television programme. Hence do you not allow them to have their food when the TV is switched ON. Or do you loosen the rope and allow the kids to chill out after their hectic school routines.
    Share your views here and vote in the poll.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009

2. viveka

viveka Senior IL'ite

our stats are 50-50. we converted a bedroom into a cool dining space to avoid eating all meals in front of the tv and to keep the formal space looking neat at all times...
    as long as they eat quickly and well, i dont care where. on an amusing note, i think it is easy to pass off an unpopular menu when they are diverted ;-). though, in our home, good food and good taste is appreciated at any location!!!!
    and hey, dont you think you are saving time letting them relax, eat and watch tv all at the same time? cut them some slack! relax...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  3. Raji01

Raji01 Bronze IL'ite

hai
    i know it is a bad habit to eat while watching TV. but sometimes i do allow them ,when the menu is boring :rotfl that way they won't complain!!!

4. swathi20

swathi20 New IL'ite

What i feel is, children should have some healthy food whether its with tv near u or not. I switch on the tv when my child has to eat his food. He enjoys his food while watching cartoons on tv. So in that time whatever i give him he just enjoys it.

Swathi.

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    Even I have the habit of watching TV when having my food, btu am trying to get rid of this habit and I will try them not to get into habit..though I cant say now bacause still a long way to be a mom:)

6. Ssm

Ssm New IL'ite

no.will not allow my kid to have their food in front of the television

7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Occasionally, yes. DH and I both sometimes eat in front of the TV, catching up on news or our fav program, so it would be hypocritical not to let the kids do that. As long as its not teh case that children eat only in front of TV, it is fine by me. Sometimes we both watch my DS' favorite shows and enjoy and eat.

8. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

No, I never let my kid watch TV while eating. Never did even when he was a toddler. Meal time is at the dining table and TV is switched off. In fact, TV at my home is ON for only an hour only. So my son is not glued to the TV but does other activities after meals.

Thanks
    Shyl

9. sreenanda

sreenanda New IL'ite

Hi,
    actually it's a bad habit eat food in front of TV. But sometimes i will allow my daughter, because some dishes she doesn't , so there is no other way i will ON the TV, then she has no problem to eat, I know its not a good thing.

10. RachBaj

RachBaj Bronze IL'ite

My daughter is 5yrs old. Sometimes I do allow even though I am not in favor of this.
    Since I am working mom and staying with my in-laws, sometimes it is very difficult for me restrict her from watching TV.
    I usually don’t miss the chance of reminding to switch off the TV during meal times. I think meal time should be family time. Allowing kids to watch TV during their meal may help you to feed them at ease but they may not learn to enjoy the test of food and importance of sharing their day with other family members.
    May be you can talk and convenience that they can watch TV for/on specific time but not during meal time. To avoid this you can to be around when they are having meal and talk about their school, friends, favorite activity, sports or things that keeps them engross and they will not remember about TV. I try my best to not to allow her watching TV during meal times. But sometimes it may not work and you can’t force them always. So it’s ok! But save your ideas and energy for the next time you need to convenience them…