Which of the following do you associate with in the month of December?

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by Laxmi, Dec 3, 2007.

Which of the following do you associate with in the month of December?.

1. Chill climate

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Carnatic Cutchery / Bajan season

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Shopping for Christmas / New Year

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. Others

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Poll for Dec.2nd 2007 to 8th Dec. 2007

Month of December, brings me some fond childhood memories. The early morning bajans and songs from the nearby Perumal temple. I would not want to get out of my bed because of the chill weather but the divine music just pours into my ears when I am half awake.
    For some of you the month might remind you of the festive discounts and shopping for the Christmas and New year. Must be looking out to grab the best deal.
    Whatever be it, take this week's poll topic and share your memories here in this thread.

2. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

One of the loveliest months of the year.I love the chill nip in the year.I am reminded of the Perumal koil bhajan.I love to draw different kolams early in the morning and light lamps.It gives out a lovely shimmering glow against the back drop of early dawn.Ilove walking down the road and enjoy people drawing an array of rangolis.I love the festivity in the air all the sabhas buzzing with so many events .Smells of hot kesaris and bondas coming thru the air.I love little theatres ' phantomine shows.Lest not least I enjoy visiting temples on Vaikunda Ekadasi day.Coming out and feeding those cows with agathi keerai is another enjoyable thing.I never miss the christmas cd and dvd sales.Wearing our silk saris is really soothing at this time of the year.One more event which I try not miss is xmas cake sale in Nilgris.One more thing which I have failed not to do is reading Thrippavai from the book which my father gave when I was 13 years old.Even though I know it well ,I love to look thru those lovely colourful pages.So many things remind of December ...........I really enjoy December...............

3. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

I too love the month of December very much. Very pleasing climate the chillness is so nice. Back in India we will be woken up by the Tiruppavai and Tiruvembavai songs from the temples. But here in Kuwait we r always woken up by the chanting of Allah-o-Akbar early morning at 4.30 am in different mosques around the place where we stay. I feel that these sounds remind us to think of God early in the morning. It is enchanting. Regarding cutchery season, i am very much unfamiliar abt it as i have never resided in Chennai. I have a habit of reading all the music season reviews in The Hindu and Ananda Vikatan from my school days. It continues still. Christmas and new year sales are really exciting. But here in gulf the sale is on throughout the year and it interests us very little nowadays. We ofcourse do enjoy the christmas parties in our friends house. It is great to see the fully decorated christmas trees and the special eatables made by christians like plum cakes, murukkus, sweet samosas, maida biscuits etc. Then comes the new year parties with great fun and frolic. Last but not the least i am a december born and that is also one reason that i like this month very much.

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

I love December. While I was in Trivandrum, I used to draw large kolams, with dots and with double lines (I am good at this) on Fridays.I was a sort of gang leader for all of the girls and so I would be busy allocating kolam spaces to them.No bhajans in the mornings, but Vishnu Sahasranama Parayanam in the evenings in the temple followed by chundal was the norm. Each family will sponser the chundal for a day and if close friends' family is sponsoring, I would be busy packing and distributing the chundal at the temple.earlier it would be singing Thiruppavai etc. too, I have won prizes then.
    After coming to Chennai, Dec. is different- much cooler and with the Music season reviews and now with tv kutcheries, it is enjoyable. I have not been to any concert during the season so far.
    But the main thing which comes to mind when we say December is Christmas only.