1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breast Augmentation, Rhinoplasty, Lipos and Botox Injections!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, May 28, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

An Accountant is Fascinated By Plastic Surgery

Breast Augmentation, Rhinoplasty, Lipos and Botox Injections

I am sure when our moderators see this title, they will reach their mouse straightaway to issue infractions to Varalotti. For how can beauty techniques can come even a mile near Wednesdays With Varalotti?

But this thread is to review a fascinating book which I finished reading a few days back – Confessions Of A Park Avenue Plastic Surgeon by Dr. Cap Lesesne (pronounced le-SAYn).

Every chapter in the book, every page in a chapter, every paragraph in a page, every line in a paragraph and every word in a line is interesting. Your heart becomes so full after reading the book that it is quite some time before you are ready to pick your next book.

Now again I am raising the beautiful eyebrows of our ever-beautiful moderators, also causing a mild frown in their face. After donkey’s years in IL, Varalotti does not know to which forum does a book-review belong? I can hear their sweet but angry voices. But ladies, this is not just a review. This is sharing a wonderful experience of reading a wonderful book.

Once you read the 273 pages of the book, not only you will show more respect to plastic surgeons, but also you will understand better the needs of those who approach them.

The author of this book a flourishing plastic surgeon in the prestigious <st1:place>Park Avenue</st1:place> has more women clients than men. (It was surprise for me to know that even men in their 60s approach plastic surgeons to redo their face, to work on their eye-lids so that they appear younger to their new-found girlfriends).

Women come to him for various reasons – either to cut down their abdominal fat by a Lipo, have some breast-implants, lift up their faces, correct their noses or even breast reduction.

Before I read the book I used to philosophise : What’s the use of bodily beauty? What’s more important is the inner beauty. The Doctor says with fullest conviction that once you change something external about you (could be sagging breasts or expanding waistline) then there is a profound change in the internal dimension as well.

Once the surgery is over and the wound is healed the patients go out into the world, though not as better women, but surely with more confidence and greater convinction in their own strengths.

The Doctor says that some women are naïve enough to believe that their men would not find about their “implants” . He says that almost all men find that out within nanoseconds.

For models, actresses and public figures, plastic surgery is kind of inevitable, an unavoidable occupational hazard. Life at the top is usually highly insecure and those frail women welcome any kind of security-aid, most of all the scalpel of a skilful surgeon.

The book is written in almost conversational form and you can never put it down till you finish it. Some tidbits thrown in border on gossip but makes the book all the more interesting. Be it waists or breasts, the kind of attention the Doctor gives, the details that are necessary before a procedure is decided upon is simply amazing.

Some anecdotes are very moving like the woman who was snubbed by her husband for the size of her breasts. She lets the remarks go. But after a while the husband realises his mistake and as a gift to her, gives money to her for a breast augmentation surgery. The surgery is so successful that the woman begins to exude confidence.

A few months later she leaves her husband for another man. Bard’s famous lines came to my memory: “Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.”

There is also the interesting story of a marketing executive who wanted to look like the King, Elvis Presley. Post surgery, he kicks off his job and goes to the theatre to repeat what the King had done a few decades earlier.

And there is the humorous incident of a woman who insisted on an implant, two sizes too big. The Doctor strongly advised against that. But the patient persisted and had her way. Subsequently she was involved in a rollerblade accident and came to the Doctor for consultation. The Doctor thought she would blame the implants and then he could have the satisfaction of saying, “I told you so.” Instead the patient says “I would have broken my ribs if not for those big, wonderful….”

To be a good plastic surgeon medical knowledge and deft hands are not just enough, one has to have the eye and mind of Michael Angelo. And this Doctor has them all.

There are some tragedies as well. A paraplegic who had many cosmetic surgeries dying due to some other complications, a man who had come for cosmetic surgery but had cancer inside him and died a few weeks later – these are sure to rend our hearts.

The Doctor’s personal life itself is a soft tragedy. Having given beauty and a meaning in life to many women, he could not find a woman for himself. A former wife almost wrecks his career though he comes out of that all, unscathed.

And finally you should know about his patient Alma. While operating on her for something else the Doctor decides independently and removes the breast implants placed in her in an earlier surgery. The patient, surprisingly ratifies the doctor’s action and even praises his aesthetic sense. She thinks that she had been made more beautiful.

But the punchline of this story belongs to her loving husband who told the Doctor after the surgery:

“Thank you so much. It is not that she is more beautiful to me, because that is not possible. But now my wife knows just how beautiful is the woman I have been looking at for fourteen years.”

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2007

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear sridhar,
    a wonderful subject and many need it the most in india too, only thing is the cost, and a good surgeon who could do wonders for the ladies here, whether young or old not all are endowed with the right and appropriate beauty needed for a lady to live, there is always something missing somewhere, like the hip is too much or the shoulder too big, or thighs could had been a little slimmer or breast could had been a little smaller or nose could had been straight, if all these were available for a jiffy i think a lot more common people will think abt themselves rather than looking at it like a movie, or rich people's paradise with facilities....regards sunkan

3. Nischel

Nischel Senior IL'ite

Dear sri..ji,
    I have gone through ur New post Titled above .It is understood that U are
    notonly a writer but also a good Reader of books on different subjects . What
    ever U feel good U will present it in Ur posts. Good because every one cannot
    read every book for want of time as well as availability. so it is enough if we go
    through your posts we can learn more. Keep it up. Thank Q very much
    With best wishes Sd/sastry

1 person likes this.
  4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

The beautiful Moderators have decided to let you go scott free this time:mrgreen: !!. We cannot decide whether you should have posted this under book reviews or Beauty Forum:bangcomp: .

Anyways, i love reading books like these talking about real life incidents of various professionals. I will definitely get this one and read it. Yes , going through plastic surgery may not make one more " beautiful" all the time, but the confidence it gives the patient is huge.. I liked all the instances you quoted from the book.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Rgds

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hmm Sridhar,

You have won over the moderators with all those flattering words! Hence, we will let this pass!!!!

Like Vandhana, me too not sure as to where this post of yours belongs. But then, being so beautiful, I shall let it be:))))

You made sure that everyone will rush to this thread to read it by giving it such an intriguing title!! Here in US, there is a continuous TV program dedicated to a plastic surgeon. It is a reality show and has been going on and on for ages. It traces the various patients and why and what makes them visit a plastic surgeon and also follows the surgeon and his work and home life. His wife has admitted to having some augmentation done, but I cannot help thinking that he has fixed himself too!!! It touches all the points that this book too seems to cover.

Unfortunately, the Californians (esp the Hollywood) seem to have given a wrong picture of what a plastic surgeon can do!! If we take a second and think how he can fix a burns patient or those born with some disfigurements, then one would look at him with much more reverence.

But can't help, even I have to think of Dolly Parton, Anna Nicole Smith and the immobile smiles of many an aging Hollywood actresses and actors!!

God help the plastic surgeon:)

L, Kamla

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  6. mythili

mythili Senior IL'ite

I used to think negative about cosmetic surgeons.. Job of a doctor is to treat sickness and disease, doctors using their skills for aesthetic beauty sounded so odd to me, until I heard a story about soldiers who got injured in war in Iraq undergoing cosmetic surgery to regain their face/body and thereby life.

I realized cosmetic surgery is really a blessing for people who got severely injured/burned. It helps them get back physically and gain confidence emotionally.

7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

As one of the 'beautiful moderators', I have decided not to issue an infraction. We have already discussed these concepts in your Aging pieces. So not much remains to be thrashed out. I personally feel that if a person can financially and physically afford to go under the scalpel, they should not restrain themselves, if they feel it will make them better people. Hey, at times even wearing a bright new dress can make us a new,nicer person. So why not go ahead with the trend----

8. varalotti

First a general reply. An apology, in fact. For after I posted this thread I did not receive any email notification for a while. So I thought that nobody here in IL needs to know on cosmetic surgeries and rhinoplasties, for they are already very beautiful. Only when somebody pointed out that people have already gracefully responded to this thread, did I realise this lapse. Well, I can comfortably blame on the mail-exchange servers, which unlike the gracious ladies in this site, seem to have a special dislike for me and decide on their own not to notify me of any developments.
    But I dont want to blame those servers for they have acting as wonderful bridges to the members the world over.
    Instead I blame myself, my schedule and my work and now move on with my responses.
    regards,

9. varalotti

Dear sundari,

thanks for being the first to respond to this thread. Every lady, be it the homely-looking woman next door or the newly crowned Miss Universe, Ms. Tayori of Japan, have this nagging feeling that they are not beautiful enough. And that they could have done wonders had their nose been a little longer. And as the proverb goes, had Cleopatra's nose been a little shorter the history of the world would have been different.

I love the Surgeon who wrote the book and if at all I viist the US and have the chance to meet him, I will not hesitate to kiss his hands - hands that gave beauty to thousands of beautiful women and hands that wrote a beautiful book.

But having said that, Sundari, I still feel that if women (and for that matter men too) can look on to their inner beauty and explore the ways of improving it not only will they be permanently beautiful but this world will come a beautiful place to live in.
    Sundari, if you happen to have the patience and inclination please visit my thread Beauty Tips From An Accountant which came in three parts in the Beauty Forum.
    Thanks once again,
    regards,

10. varalotti

Dear Sasthriji,
    If you are going to address me as ji then I will have to coin a new word for you to denote my respect to you. For you should be my father's age; or your son should be of my age. So just call me sridhar.
    A reader need not be a writer; but a writer has to be a reader. There is no short cut to it.
    There are forums where when a lady finds out a new recipe she presents it; when they find out a new eating joint they write about it so that every one can share that happiness. So is the case with books. This book especially was very good. For want of time I had to shorten this post.
    Thanks Sasthriji for your participation and your kind words, which I take with your blessings.
    regards,