1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Simple Diwali Gift From A Friend!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Oct 17, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Most Gracious ILites,

I was looking at the writings I had kept ready for posting today for the Wednesday thread. All my posts talk about a woman in some kind of a problem. And believe me I would be the last person in the world to load you with the problems on Diwali eve. And definitely not after reading the "most romantic", "most lovable" and the "most naughty" posts from the heroines of our site including the anonymous one.

I am travelling out of Madurai today to return only on Diwali eve. So I take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy and a rocking Diwali.

It is easier to be careful and observant while we are in trouble or undergoing a stressful period. But it very difficult to be so while we are in the heights of happiness. Thiruvalluvar also hints at this subtle point of being lax while being happy. So take care, most Gracious ladies. Dont let your children play with fireworks except when they are under direct adult supervision. Be careful in eating too. Enjoy to the fullest but please be within limits.

Wish you a wonderful Deepavali once again.

I am now enclosing the scanned version of my story that came in Anandhavikatan's Diwali Malar 2006.

I and some half a dozen writers of my class ( somewhere near the bottom of the rung) were given pictures drawn by the immortal artist Madhavan. This great man used to draw like Ravi Varma and his pictures used to adorn the cover pages of Uma, the magazine published by Anand Theatre (Chennai) owner Umapathy. It was a litrerary magazine that soon went out of circulation.

The picture I got was "story-less." Just a marriage scene. Where a young girl is curiously looking at the bride and the groom.

I had to spin a story out of that. And here's it.

The idea of the story is just to make us think of some really unfortunate people for whom life has been an endless night.

Happy Diwali, once again,
    Affectionately yours,
    Varalotti

Attached Files:

• kk.pdf
      File size:
      196.1 KB
      Views:

2. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

The most Beautiful gift from you, Varalotti !

Varalotti,

Just looking at one "Kalyaana Kolam" photo, I didn't know such a beautiful story can be produced...You have very beautifully brought out the feelings of the girl looking at the photo and the reality existing in today's cinema world for a lady artist struggling to come up. This sotry is just so nice and beautiful. You have given us such a beautiful gift for Diwali !

Wishing you and your family too a great diwali in advance Varalotti.

I am really tempted to see the picture that is the root-cause for such a wonderful creation from you.

Love,
    Preethi

3. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sridharji

Wishing You and Your Family a colorful and Sparkling Deepavali……..Thanx for the beautiful Diwali gift……..too bad I am not able to reciprocate the same…………..but I think that itself should be a gift to u…….hmmmm..,..I was very serious abt that and was not kidding……

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Impressive

Dear Sridhar,

What a lovely story. Short and poignant. To spin such a tale full of pathos from just seeing a picture tells another story about your talent as a writer with a magical spinning wheel. I am sure many more will come out with the same magic.
    I am sorry to note that you are on the road and may not get to read our FBs till Diwali Eve. How then do we wish you??
    With the hope you may see this earlier:

Wish you and your family a Wonderful and Happy Deepawali.

L, Kamla

5. varalotti

Preethi,
    Now only I feel relieved. First I thought that actually I have posted a heavy story when Diwali is round the corner. But after reading your post, seeing that you like the story I am relieved.
    Thanks for the words of praise.
    I wanted to post the picture too but cant do it because of the file size. I have sent the same to Forum Moderators to post it.
    I am expecting another comment from you after seeing the picture.
    Thanks for the Diwali wishes. Wish you the same.
    regards,
    sridhar

6. varalotti

You have already gifted AGRji

Dear AGRji,
    thanks for your Diwali wishes. Wish you the same. Your reading my story is by itself an ample reciprocation of my Diwali gift. But still if you want to give me a real gift, I shall name it right now.
    The next time you address me please drop the suffix ji after my name. Well, to borrow your own words, I am not kidding.
    Have a nice, safe and a happy festival. Incidentally I have not heard from you about the story.
    sridhar

7. varalotti

Thanks to your wishes, I logged in early!

Dear Kamla,

Your prayer has reached God. I am in chennai now and my first appointment got delayed by an hour. So not only I got to read your FBs but also reply them.

Thanks for the nice wishes and for the kind words about the story. As I told Preethi Laxmi is trying hard to get the picture in.

Wish you and your family a Wonderful and Happy Deepawali.
    sridhar

8. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

that was brilliant

Hello Sridhar,

A Very Happy Diwali To You & Your Family.

Now coming to the story, it was brilliant. How did you think of such a plot?? was it easy??? I'm sure you would've come up with so many ideas & how did you shortlist to this particular short story???
    Too goood. short & to the point but with your usual twist.

Happy Diwali again!!!!

9. varalotti

Thanks Meena!

Hello Meena,
    thanks for those words. I came up with 6 plots and out of them chose 3. Indhu read all the three and told me that the would select this one as it was a little bit unusual. Her prediction proved to be true. I sent 3 stories to them and they chose this one.
    Wishing you, Prakash and deepu a very happy and a safe Diwali.
    sridhar

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar Sir,I am very proud that…….

I am the first to review your story, connecting the picture.
    The matching of the picture and the story is just “Perfect”.
    I write this with all the more conviction because all the other “story-picture” combinations were just “ below average”, or to put in tamil “ aeno thaano”.
    That, your imagination has touched a real new depth, in this story, is no exaggeration, but putting it mildly.
    Another title could have been “ the only precious minutes in an extra’s life” ! (now don’t ask me, Thirunelvelikkae halwava? )
    The way you have described the travails, Mala had to go through, make very sad reading and is painfully true, as well !
    Great going, Sridhar Sir! As you claim, you are a master-spinner !

A very, very happy Deepavali to you & yours.

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006