1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Another Love Story For You, This Time With A Happy Ending!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, May 20, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

I am sure that something paradoxical, something quite ironical is happening inside me. Several years back when I wanted to write, I did not want to write any love story. And it did not change much when my writing started getting published.

Out of my 250 short stories, a hundred articles, seven books, hardly 1% is made up of love stories. If at all I had written a love story I had tended to show that love never works in real life.

And besides the harsh realities of life like work, marriage, inflation and investment risks, love is only a pleasant nuisance that distracts you.

But now that I have crossed fifty my mind is back into love stories with a vengeance. After all love is the only aim of life; job, marriage and other paraphernalia only help us to live.

Love is what we have to live for. So my next serial in IL is going to be a love story (I have already given a proposal to our Lady and now waiting for her approval).

It is not about any Swamiji as I had hurriedly announced earlier. And as a net practice I am trying my hands at a real life love story that happened in <st1:place>South India</st1:place> a few centuries back.

His name was Villidasan. He was a wrestler. Not just any ordinary wrestler but one of very high standing. Almost all the wrestlers in the ancient <st1:place><st1:placename>Chola</st1:placename> <st1:placetype>Kingdom</st1:placetype></st1:place> used to pay him a ‘protection fee’.

He was the Royal Wrestler, formally attached to the court of the Chola Kings. He was majestic in his looks, kind in his disposition and a terror to his rivals.

Now let’s cut the scene and move over to the other important character of this love story. Her name was Ponnachi. You know Pon in Tamil means gold.

Every one who saw her swore that she richly deserved her name. Her complexion, they said, came closest to the yellow metal. She was slightly on the plumpy side.

Her dance-like walk, her height and her dimpled cheeks made her the much-acclaimed beauty in her village. But the most prominent feature of her face was her eyes.

They were very large, round and you know, the sort, from which you cannot take your eyes off. Ponnachi’s beauty was at least as well known as Villi’s prowess.

Villidasan was a very good man and had never abused his strength or position. And yes, he was the most eligible, most sought after bachelor in his town, why, even in the <st1:place><st1:placename>Chola</st1:placename> <st1:placetype>Kingdom</st1:placetype></st1:place>.

As it would happen in love stories, he heard of Ponnachi’s beauty and set out to see her, more out of curiousity than anything else. Once he saw her eyes, he could not think of anyting else. As if possessed he sought her hand in marriage, something which Ponnachi was only too eager to give.

Villidasan was virtually consumed by his love for the damsel. He stopped fighting and was thinking of nothing else other than his lady love.

Many of us might have had the experience of falling in love or being in love. It could have been before marriage or a part of it. While in love we could think of nothing else. We always think about our lover, be it day or night, at work or in bed; our lover seemed to occupy the whole of us.

Did we ever tell ourselves, ‘Ok, every morning between <st1:time minute="0" hour="8">8 AM</st1:time> and 8 30 AM, I will think of my lover.’ Or did we take a vow, ‘Every Saturday I’ll write my lover’s name 108 times.’ Or did we plan, ‘This Friday I am going to throw flowers at my lover exactly 108 times, each time telling her name.’

We would have never dreamt of doing such nonsense, right? We say, we love God. And we precisely do these nonsense to Her. We shut ourselves in our Puja room at the appointed time to tell her name.

We write Her name a prescribed number of times, 108 or 1008, the largeness of the number being directly proportional to the favours we want to steal from her for the time being. We go to Her temple and make the priest throw the flowers or show the burning camphor, mindlessly repeating Her names, while we should be sobbing in our hearts thinking of Her love for us.

What God has for us is love. And what we have for Her is some neurological ******** which we mistakenly call devotion. Next time when you sit in the Puja room, please remember these lines.

Now let’s get back with Villi and Ponnachi. They were married on an auspicious day. It was one of the rarest instances where the marriage was much grander than the wedding.

Of course they did not go for a ride on the Gondolas of Venice or trekked the <st1:place>Alps</st1:place> as part of their honeymoon package. But their married life was one continuous honeymoon, which never ended.

They had been married for years. Still to Villidasan Ponnachi was the most beautiful woman in the world with the most beautiful eyes.

Last edited: May 20, 2008

2. varalotti

It was spring time. Festival time at Srirengam. Vasanthotsavam. Ponnachi wanted to see the festival. To Villidasan her slightest whim was a Royal Command. He made elaborate arrangements to ensure a comfortable travel for Ponnachi. She was borne in a palanquin till the main street of Srirengam where she had to get down and walk.

Ponnachi got down from the palanquin. Villidasan who was standing nearby was stunned by her beauty. She was dressed up in an exquisite silk saree. What captivated his attention even after years of marriage was her kajalled-eyes.

Villidasan could not take his eyes away from hers.

As she started to walk towards the temple, Villidasan did the unthinkable. He was walking backwards facing her, unable to see anything else but her large eyes.

Those who saw this amusing sight giggled. Some even laughed out aloud. Villi gave a damn to what others thought. After all Ponnachi was his lawfully wedded wife and what was wrong in seeing her eyes?

Ponnachi was half consumed by shyness and half by pride. She too loved her husband so much that she did not have the mind to object to his act, though she knew that it made people laugh behind their backs.

This strange procession – Ponnachi walking forward, Villi walking backwards, and the palanquin bearers and the retinue following Ponnachi – was nearing the temple gate.

On the other side of the street, a great saint was walking away from the temple followed by his disciples.

The name of the saint was Sri Ramanujacharya.

To be Continued....

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  3. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Oh no Sridhar,....you cant stop here....it was so interesting! Now i hope you will not make us wait till next wednesday.
    Actually i enjoyed this writing after a long time....reminds me of the first serials you wrote.....this had the same grip! :clap
    And On Ramanujar.....now reallyWitsend........cant u post it tomm itself?

Lovely hero and heroine....and a wonder that after marriage and so many wedded years this wrestler loves her the sam way! Mmmm, whats happened to the world now....i guess no one has time! Who has time and interest to GAZE into one another'S eyes ( i can hear the young programmers etc earning by the hour, minutes saying what Nonsense , what a waste of Time!)Gone are those days!

I liked these lines......
    Did we ever tell ourselves, ‘Ok, every morning between <st1:time minute="0" hour="8">8 AM</st1:time> and 8 30 AM, I will think of my lover.’ Or did we take a vow, ‘Every Saturday I’ll write my lover’s name 108 times.’ Or did we plan, ‘This Friday I am going to throw flowers at my lover exactly 108 times, each time telling her name.’"

But do u agree that here also after the newness wears away we are never in each other's minds!:hide: maybe they avoid each other'S presence too!

I agree with this absolutely.....

"We would have never dreamt of doing such nonsense, right? We say, we love God. And we precisely do these nonsense to Her. We shut ourselves in our Puja room at the appointed time to tell her name. "

"while we should be sobbing in our hearts thinking of Her love for us."

I only just now i too wa sinthe Puja room and was sitting hearing Nithyasree's soul wrenching singing with closed eyes and I had Tears in my eyes.....i really felt that Joy and the Oneness which happens very rarely and only when we are in peace and meditating. I think for these things to be experienced we need a place like a puja room. But otherwise the LOVE for the Supreme Presence , be it HE OR SHE should always be felt is also my sincere opinion.....which comes of course only if we consciously stive in the Bhakti path!
    Anyway, great thread.....Bow.liked the Hero and Heroine story ( love Movies and Romantic stories...he he) and the way you are leading also! So all set for the waiting!

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sridhar,
    As written by you, you had started writing about Sri Ramanujacharya's disciples...
    Waiting to see what happened next...

sriniketan

5. Venonimiss

Venonimiss Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sridhar (sorry you don’t know me nor I wrote a single hello to you before. And this is the first time I am reading any of your writings – in spite of my knowledge of how popular you are on IL and the number of your writings here).

I read this and I just want to read more..
    I laughed out loud and loved your lines about our ceremonious prayers and expectations from the GOD.

Did we ever tell ourselves, ‘Ok, every morning between 8 AM and 8 30 AM, I will think of my lover.’ Or did we take a vow, ‘Every Saturday I’ll write my lover’s name 108 times.’ Or did we plan, ‘This Friday I am going to throw flowers at my lover exactly 108 times, each time telling her name.’
    We would have never dreamt of doing such nonsense, right? We say, we love God. And we precisely do these nonsense to Her. We shut ourselves in our Puja room at the appointed time to tell her name.
    We write Her name a prescribed number of times, 108 or 1008, the largeness of the number being directly proportional to the favours we want to steal from her for the time being. We go to Her temple and make the priest throw the flowers or show the burning camphor, mindlessly repeating Her names, while we should be sobbing in our hearts thinking of Her love for us.
    What God has for us is love. And what we have for Her is some neurological ******** which we mistakenly call devotion. Next time when you sit in the Puja room, please remember these lines.”

- Humorous, Wonderful and so True!

You have actually put the exact dilemma in my heart about GOD/PRAYERS/VRATHAS etc in words here. That’s the reason I am a rebel and have been like this for a while now. I am not an atheist though. I am devotee - lets say a free spirited devotee who talks with GOD what ever, when ever and whereever I want to. Though I practice the core values of Hinduism, I do it in my own ways. Hope God considers me one among his numerous special devotees J

Anyway, I don’t want to write about myself here. I wanted to compliment you for your wonderful writing and let you know that I am looking forward to read more..

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

Oru ponnana kadhai ( a golden story)....I am already sure of it.

It thrilled me because it is a period story. My mind rewinds to many many years back when I read such stories in Kalki with those beautiful illustrations. My Tamil too was somewhat better those days!! I think it was because of those pictures that I started to learn Tamil and read those stories! That was also my inspiration to sketch and paint.

I am imagining MGR as Villi (ofcourse, in my imagination, MGR is more muscular and definitely taller!!) and who else but Padmini as Ponnachi ( Padmini of Vanjikottai Valiban days!).

“Did we ever tell ourselves, ‘Ok, every morning between 8 AM and 8 30 AM, I will think of my lover.’ Or did we take a vow, ‘Every Saturday I’ll write my lover’s name 108 times.’ Or did we plan, ‘This Friday I am going to throw flowers at my lover exactly 108 times, each time telling her name.’
    What God has for us is love. And what we have for Her is some neurological ******** which we mistakenly call devotion. Next time when you sit in the Puja room, please remember these lines.”

Ha ha.....those lines! Looks like there are many more here who think like you and me. After our recent exchange, the lines brought a big wide smile to my face!
    Now that is really a coincidence and I think the Almighty was trying to tell me something :) Thank you God, you are too kind and I should always remember...

Ok, sorry I went into some introspection!

Sridhar, I think this story is going to appeal to me very much. You already said that it is a happy one and I am glad, I want to read and see happy stuff at present.

Can't wait for the next Wednesday....

L, Kamla

7. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar sir,

I am already practicing asking God to give me more love as mentioned by you in your train trip story. I felt it very logical for God to bestow one with more love because thay will have to share that love with others, whereas other materialistic things, will not be willingly shared with others unless one is very philanthropic by nature.
    This part also came to my mind after asking God for more love.

Waiting for the story....

8. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

""""""""""We write Her name a prescribed number of times, 108 or 1008, the largeness of the number being directly proportional to the favours we want to steal from her for the time being. We go to Her temple and make the priest throw the flowers or show the burning camphor, mindlessly repeating Her names, while we should be sobbing in our hearts thinking of Her love for us. """""""""""

bonkbonk this is wat you have done to me now.... Im more confused ....Enaku irukirathu konajm brain.. athvum ippa confuse aadichi sir.....
    I always agree service to mankind is service to god.... But ithu ellam namam satisfactionkaga thane pannurom... ( hmm onnum puriyala ..so ulara arambichiten .....:hide: i hope it takes many years to attain enough maturity and understand the writings of great pople like you....)

Hmm Now coming to the LOVE story..

Unique names.. Villi dasan... heard about bharathidasan,kannadasan,haridasan,kaalidasan......Villidasan.... please can you tell the meaning of name Villidasan sir... Ponnachi... Lovely name....Started my imagination.... Always Girls with Big Beautiful eyes are Very Gorgeous....

Why you have written TO BE CONTINUED so.. soon.... Witsend

Let me wait for the next session....... :hide:

Love
    Brindha

<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  9. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

You are a perfect spoil sport in stopping the story abruptly.

But .....wait. I know the story........Shall I spill the beans.............wait let me think :idea ok I will let you do the needful........where am I when compared to professional like you.

idhu dhan sema nethi adi..........bonkaadi poideyen naan abba enna strong words........ idha ennodu dhkku kattaporein. My thoughts are like this only but it is always the other round with my dear ones. Maybe I cannot express so strongly like you hence I will show this to all............romba romba correct neega sonnadhu:bowdown

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  10. varalotti

I wanted to finish the whole story in one posting. But then it was too long. Already people have started complaining that my narration is long. But don't worry, Sudha. You need not have to wait for a whole week. As soon as we finish discussion in this thread, I will post the next part of the story.

You are right. Now every act is weighed in the balance of profit and gain. If this trend continues any longer we might lose our habits on reading, listening to music, and even dancing. For what exactly do we gain by reading, this is how the DINK software couple question. (DINK = double income no kids. DISK = double income single kid. I think we both belong to the SISK category)

Thanks for the appreciation and the agreement.
    You are right. The newness wears off. But God, in this case at least, decided to take Villidasan's love to a higher plane. Let's see about that in the next episode.

thanks, sudha.

Right again, but with a small caveat. There is no question of striving in the 'Bakthi Path'. Either Bakthi happens or it does not. And the objective of Bakthi is not an advance reservation of a fancy place (like First Class AC) in Vaikuntam. The object of Bakthi is Bakthi itself.

Thanks again. Don't worry, the waiting will not be long. If all the regulars finish visiting this thread (regulars include my one and only wife) I'll move over to the next part.
    Thanks for being the first to visit this thread.

regards,