1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Will You Let Me Work For You?

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, May 14, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

I do not think this innocuous question will meet with any opposition from the ILites, of course, except for one.

Compared to titles like Will You Walk With Me?, Will You Come With Me? Will You Be My GF? (and the one which an Ilite suggested in a pm, which I do not want to mention here as I am mortally afraid of infractions especially at the hands of the beautiful moderator assigned to this forum) this is fairly decent.

The one ILite who will furiously oppose this title is… yes, you guessed it, the ILite I am living with, my one and only wife.

‘At home you have not even removed a piece of dust by a millimetre. And now you ask like this in a 20000-strong ladies site. They will think as if you do all the work at home. Only I know that you are the laziest and the lousiest of all.’

I can’t just brush away her charges as baseless. If it is a full-fledged legal case I would rather plead guilty and face the music than pleading innocent and facing a worse type of music.

But honestly, my dear GFs, an incident in the life of Sri Ramanujar made me ask this question. At one level I would love to be so loving, so caring and so egoless like him.

But at another level I know that is mere wishful thinking. It may take a million lifetimes of spiritual growth to come even a mile near the greatest of saints who ever waked on our land.

The ultimate test of humility, the real baptism by fire in the spiritual realm is working for somebody else. Not when there is no choice; but when one is highly educated, well-to-do and enjoys a status in a society and there is no compulsion to work.

In the Srivaishnava tradition kainkaryam or service is considered superior to worship. In one of the sects (the one to which yours truly belongs) when they do the sankalpam (a brief prelude before a prayer or a religious ritual) we do not say “Sri Parameswara preethyartham” (to please Lord Shiva) or “Sriman Naryana Preethyartham” (to please Sriman Narayana) but simply say “Bhagavath kainkarya roopam” (by way of service to God).

Our Acharyas believed that we as mortals cannot do anything to please God. For God is always plesed with us, whether we chant his name throughout the day without taking any food, or indulge in rich food and other sensual pleasures.

SHE is pleased even if we hurt others; for SHE knows very well that we wont be happy by such acts and sooner or later, something would turn up that would make us realise our wrongs, some pain, some shock, all manifestations of her love.

Now coming to the story. My readers often charge me that I write tear jerkers, I make people cry at the end of my story. But if you read Sri Ramanuja’s biography you will be crying throughout. And once you finish reading, you will be crying for the rest of your life, thinking about the love, about the humility of the great saint.

And the tears we shed would be the most powerful germicide available on earth. They would kill the germs of anger, lust and greed and make our hearts pure and germ-free.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. varalotti

Ramanjua’s Guru (one of the gurus) was Periya Nambikal. His daughter Nappinnai was married into a rich family. In those days dowry was unheard of. But the bride was expected to bring a horde of servants with her when she walks into her husband’s house.

The other daughters-in-law of the family had brought enough servants; but Perianambikal could not afford even one.

Napinnai’s mother-in-law started to tease the girl about this. At first it was an indirect attack, an innuendo, a sarcastic remark or a seemingly casual accusation. But slowly she got bolder and bolder and started making fun of Nappinnai’s father, Peria Nambikal.

Peria Nambikal was a renowned scholar and was leading a saintly life. The girl could not bear her father being ridiculed by her in-laws. She fought with them and came back to her parents. Her father did not know how to handle the issue.

Ramanujar was almost a father figure to the girl. One day the girl spoke her mind to him and sought his help. At that time Ramanuja had a stature in the town. He was acclaimed as an Acharya and so many people were ready to study under him. He was better known even than his guru Peria Nambikal.

Ramanuja told the girl that he would do something about it. Would she pack up her things and go along with him? The girl thought that Ramanuja was going to talk to her in-laws and advise them not to talk ill of Peria Nambikal.

After a day’s journey the Ramanuja and the girl reached her in-laws place.

Fortunately for Ramanuja, the in-laws did not know about him or his fame. The girl’s mother-in-law asked in a derogatory tone,

“Who are you, old man?”

“I am a slave of Peria Nambikal. He has sent me as Napinnai’s dowry. Will you please let me work for you?”

The girl was shocked. She was about to blurt out who Ramanuja really was. But the great saint signalled to her to keep quiet. The girl ran out of the room, sobbing.
    The mother-in-law just grunted her assent.

She made Ramanuja do all the household chores. The great saint, who showed us all the path to God Himself, who showed us the love of God, the great man who propounded the eternal Vishistadvaita Philosophy, the great scholar, who wrote Bhashyam to the Gita and the Upanishads, washed their clothes, cleaned the floor and even removed the leaves on which they had eaten.

Live a million years, will you see another like him?

When we begin chanting Nalayira Divya prabandam we say at the very outset,

“Ramanujasya sharanau sharanam prapathye”
    “I take refuge in the feet of Sri Ramanujar.”

Discoursing to a congregation of disciples in Srirangam or doing the dishes in Napinnai’s house was the same for the saint. And that is precisely we need to learn.

We all tend to think that we are born for some great acts and are waiting for some grand finalle in life, while we are endlessly irritated if we have to stand in a queue or walk in the sun. This is the real dichotomy and winning over this is real enlightenment.

There is absolutely no difference between the butcher who kills the sheep and the person who sits in his puja room and chants the verses from the Holy Gita. There is absolutely no qualitative difference per se between writing a book and preparing soup, except for the love and attention you bring to the table.

And the Great Gita does not say, reading Gita is yogam.It thunders for all of us to hear, “Yogam Karmashu Kaushalam” Skill in action in yoga. It does not talk about the nature of the action.

It is not what you do that matters but how do you do it. If some one can show skill in cleaning a toilet, yes, that is yogam, because it is “karmashu kaushalam”. A person reading the upanishads with his mind being somewhere else is in a far worse position than a person who cleans our toilets with skill and dedication.

And legend has it that Ramanuja’s work was not sloppy. He did his work with utmost attention and was eager to learn what he did not know. In about a week’s time the family came to know about Ramanuja. The whole town now turned against the family for making an Acharya do the household chores.

Ultimately the man of the house fell at Ramanuja’s feet, asked his pardon and begged him to relieve them of the sin. He also assured that Napinnai will hence forward be treated with the love she deserved

Ramanuja returned to his Guru’s place as if nothing had happened.

And now go back to the question, read it again and let me know the answer. I will have to warn you though, that I am capable of making a mess of everything that comes my way.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  3. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Varalotti sir,

what a great atman sri. Ramanuja was! I was not aware of his life story, greatly enjoyed it. Seems like a symbol of Humility.
    Re: your question, I do not know how to answer. Will think about it.

On second thoughts, you already are, by way of educating me with your illuminating articles!

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sridhar,
    very nice thought provoking article from you, once again...
    Usually we do some chores and help others when we are outside our house and in our own house, we don't even do that work....(Indhu, am I right?)

I remember an incident where I went and helped my Hindi teacher with her Deepavali sweets but remember it is the same me who will not be near the kitchen during those days giving the excuse as my mom does best and I don't want to spoil the taste..:idea

Coming to Sri Ramanujar's incident, who can be like that...Thousands and thousands :bowdownto Him...
    Service to human is service to God is clearly proved here..

.And the tears we shed would be the most powerful germicide available on earth. They would kill the germs of anger, lust and greed and make our hearts pure and germ-free.
    Moving sentences....

You are working for us and give us wonderful topics to ponder., I think that is of great help we get from you...

sriniketan

5. varalotti

Dear Usha,
    I am happy that I have brought the life story of a great soul to a good friend of mine. Happier still that you loved it.
    Well, please think about the question, madam. And thanks a billion for your second thoughts.

love,

6. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear

A moving illustration of the great saint. Really to be frank it was a slap on my face because most of the time I do laze around and instruct others to do it rather than myself doing that. But whatever I do will be good and expect others to do it perfectly (a virgoan trait, can't help) Actually you showed me the way.........sridhar of how to work.

A great saint can work so selflessly, without any ego..........I really don't know how many janmas we have to take to have that kind of feeling and the EGO less said about it is better.

Regarding your question, I just can't understand why you asked this because you are already working for us so tirelessly, making us see some sense and bringing such nice post to us regularly so that we do change ourselves to better human beings.

Idhu oru anil sevai irkalam unngalku, annal engalukku adhu oru maha bhagyam.........adhum ungoludu anbu ketaikka nangal rombe athrudhstakaranga dhan:bowdown

7. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Sorry i did not post fb for ur Superstar thread( actually i am not his fan and i did not want to offend His fans and YOUR fans! Drowning)

Of course being a Vaishnavite , i had to post my FB here . This was another wonderful writing, bringing to light Sri Ramanujam's selfless service! Like you had mentioned they were such Great souls....i completely agree with these lines too:::::::
    "And once you finish reading, you will be crying for the rest of your life, thinking about the love, about the humility of the great saint.
    And the tears we shed would be the most powerful germicide available on earth. They would kill the germs of anger, lust and greed and make our hearts pure and germ-free."

As for toilet cleaning.....that was an eyeopener for me....after i came here and had to do it myself, i went thru a process of hatred , anger, self pity and then slowly these emotions gave way to the understading that It is the place my body gets rid of TOXIC elements and so i have to revere it, keep it clean, in fact this place needs to be maintained even more than my Pooja room, ...only if my physical boday is clean and free from Diseases, can my Mind stay Clean N Pure! Isnt it,:::
    enna gnanodayam.....so i started to Love my Work here.....so much for our Gita lessons , not to mention your TEAR JERKERS now and then ( i mean emotional and Mental BRAKES! Big Laugh); I have learnt to serve my family and humanity without any emotions ....LOVE is yet to come , that may take a few more jnamams i guess!

As for the answer to your title....you yourself have gotten out by saying you will make a mess of everything.....now how do u expect us to ASK or Let u work for us , i wonder!:confused2: ( Indhu, helpppp)

8. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varalotti
    That was a nice story. What a great man he was.............After knowing what a great man he was will anyone make him work that way..............This action has happened unknowingly right........
    Coming to your title "Will you let me work for you" We already know Varalotti what a great man you are how can anyone make you work for us???????????.............Not me atleast.

It is not what you do that matters but how do you do it.............great sentence
    Whatever you do has to be done with great devotion...........

9. swethakrishnan

swethakrishnan Senior IL'ite

Dear Varalotti Sir

What can I say ... your work has always amazed me ...
    I didnt know of the story of Sri Ramanujar. What a great man he was ... as the saying goes "Service to man is service to God". He really lived upto it. He did so much during his life. We can atleast try to achieve 1% of what he did, which will also be too much for us!

You have opened my eyes to a new world. I really felt that this post was addressed to me. I felt that you were trying to say "Swetha, stop complaining and brooding over things ... just move on!" Now I will never complain about doing the work that is expected of me ... especially walking in the sun (being in Dubai, I complain about that every minute!).

I think all of us at IL will now look at life from a different perspective. Thank you.

10. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    This was a great work (ofcourse) you have done for us.Thanks a million for bringing out such an eye opener here.If such a great saint can work as a domestic help keeping aside all his ego, image(people are fond of this term nowadays)..etc..We are not even a sequel to him. It did bring in tears after i read from your post;how much of selflessness Saint Ramanujar has exihibited.Its a sure food for thought for all of us.

I got a divine opportunity to visit the Ramanujar Shrine(me -sharing his same birth star- Aarudhra) located at sriperambudhur (enroute on the Bangalore Highway).I was really awestruck to see his divine face flowing with so much of karunyam.My mind had no thoughts, just in total peace.The immense peace and happiness created within myself after i went there for a second time is unexplainable.

Sorry for deviating, but you brought back those memories and now i have the urge to go to the shrine once again.

Thanks for working for the benefit of 20,000 plus Ilites to bring up this beautiful post.