1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Accountant's Thoughts On the New Year!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jan 1, 2008.

1. kripa shankari

kripa shankari New IL'ite

hi sridhar
    a mom is always busy esplly when the child has holidays.
    my daughter is a precocious type who has no siblings to play with.
    so presto mom becomes a toy,companion,punching bag what not.
    all our assts hav time limit but motherhood does not.
    as my mom says once a mom always a mom.(hope u get the meaning.)
    as for nos., hav u read about the phi number.
    it seems nature uses this no. in every aspect of life.
    read a book called da vinci code which first exposed me to this concept.
    it is not our pi=22/7.
    ramesh the book worm immediately bought a book on it and took sanyas from grahastha life for two days much to my chagrin:oops:
    let me know if u know about it.
    by the way a guy is lovede by his parents,idolised by the outside world, but somebody should deal with the true person right,
    that's where wifves and daughters come in.
    luv
    krips

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Hi Srivatsa,

First thanks a lot for your kind wishes. And let me wish you and the members of your family a very happy and a prosperous new year.
    I am happy that you enjoyed this post.

Honestly, Srivatsa, I owe an apology to you, as I missed out your post while replying the posts of other ILites. I'm sorry.

I presume you belong to Srivatsha Gothram. I also belong to that Gothram.

Love,
    sridhar

3. varalotti

hi kripa,

that was one post I enjoyed reading it several times. Your talking about your precocious daughter (well my daughter is also in the same boat) and your aphorism, once a mom, always a mom made me lapse into some deep thinking.

I read the Da vinci code long back and have read all the books by the same author. I have heard about phi and its inherent beauty. And how Da Vinci used that proportion in all his pictures.

But my major in ug was not mathematics, so I cannot go deep into maths. Of course numbers fascinate me. After working in a couple of complex 115JB MAT assessments, I am convinced that our tax laws are more complicated than pure mathematics.

A very deep insight. My wife and daughter would surely love those words.
    love,
    sridhar

4. varalotti

5. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    That was a nice way to start the new year wishes with!
    We too can draw up our Profit and Loss Accounts and Balance Sheets - not just covering our financial successes and failures but on all aspects of life.

our life's balance sheets should focus only on our happiness and fulfilment. If you are happy you are successful. If you are fulfilled you are rich.

Let me also take this opportunity to wish you and all the Ilites a very happy and prosperous new year!

In the first para, when you mentioned about numbers,and your getting excited with certain numbers, I too have something to share in this matter. It may seem strange and unbelievable but God's ways are strange!
    Since two or three years, the no.22 has been making its appearance (very Religiously?) every morning and night without fail! At first I didn't notice it nor did I give importance to it. But then it started begging for my attention! And it started in Thirupathi, my Ishta Deivam's abode! And that is when I started seriously giving it a thought what significance it could have other than that quite a lot of important events in my life happened on that date. Pen parthadhu- April 22nd, Marriage- Aug 22nd, My second son was born on Jan 22nd and quite a lot more good as well as bad things happened on the 22nds.
    Now, coming back to Thirupathi, As We got down from the train, I noticed that the phone numbers on the sign boards started with 22. I convinced myself that it was some coincidence and challenged my dear God that if it recurred again in some other form I would attach some significance for 22 in my life though I would have to wait a life time to know its meaning. And to my astonishment, God took my challenge seriously! When we came out of the station and were making our way to Thirumala, I saw a board which said that the Holy abode of the Lord is 22 kms from Thirupathi to Thirumala!(And promise! Till then I didn't know the distance between Thirupathi and Thirumala.) From then on(even before that) 22 has been in my life both in the mornings and evening/nights somewhere or the other-be it the seconds on the digital clock or a car's regn. no.(1st or last 2 digits) or some no.of injured/deaths on a tv channel news or news papers. On the whole no. 22 has become a part and parcel of my life!
    Thank you for giving me an opportunity to share my experience with numbers through your columns.
    Regards,
    Malathi

6. varalotti

Dear Malathi,

Thanks for the kind wishes. Let me wish you and yours a very happy and a
    prosperous new year.

It is quite an interesting to know about your experience with numbers, especially 22. There are some who consider 4s and 8s not so auspicious. (22 is incidentally a 4, 26 is 8, 29 is 2 and so on). One of my hosts in the US is so averse to 8, that he won't start the car when the time in the car's digital clock is 9:26. He will wait for the clock to jump to 9:27 before starting the car.

In Tamilnadu, people are so averse to car numbers totalling upto 8 that now the Government itself has stopped issuing numbers adding up to 8. And the old cars bearing 8 numbers sell for at least Rs. 5,000 less than their real worth.

My friend prayed to God that his door number should be changed to be in accord with the number suggested by his numerlogist. Then he said, he would become lucky. I told him it would be easier if you can pray for luck directly from God.

Actually they say experience strengthens belief and belief strengthens experience. In any given moment several billion stimuli attack our senses. We cannot respond to all the stimuli we have to filter out most of them. So if we have preferences, love or hatred, they act as powerful filters. Once something happens the filter gets reinforced and becomes even more powerful.

I am not superstitious. But at times I see some good numbers and good things happen. And when the numbers are not all right, the day is not all right. Now my conscience asks me, if this is not superstition, what is it?

I did not design it in such a way. But it so happens, that the total number of lines in this reply is also 22, if you dont count the signature lines..
    Regards,

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  7. Malathijagan

Hmmmm.......
    It made interesting reading about people's beliefs in numbers and also your explanation for such beliefs. Ofcourse, I have till now not given any importance to this number 22 except getting a little excited when I come across it with utmost certainty twice everyday. And again you have stated-

'I did not design it in such a way. But it so happens, that the total number of lines in this reply is also 22, if you dont count the signature lines..'

But then you know, in my hotmail id this same reply is short of a few sentences! Did you edit it by any chance and add those sentences to get 22 lines? The missing sentences were-

In Tamilnadu, people are so averse to car numbers totalling upto 8 that now the Government itself has stopped issuing numbers adding up to 8. And the old cars bearing 8 numbers sell for at least Rs. 5,000 less than their real worth.

My friend prayed to God that his door number should be changed to be in accord with the number suggested by his numerlogist. Then he said, he would become lucky. I told him it would be easier if you can pray for luck directly from God.

If you had not edited to add these sentences then it is a mystery how they got deleted in my hotmail inbox!? That again seems to be God's ways!!!!
    Regards,
    Malathi

P.S.- Your short stories 'Mannippu, Gandhariyin Kaadhal, and Kaavi Niraththil oru Paavi filled my eyes with tears. I have underlined some of the thought provoking lines in all these stories for future reference.

8. varalotti

Well I think time has come to admit the truth. I first wrote the reply and counted the lines. Either with or without the signature lines, it was 22. So I submitted the post.
    But then I realised that the edit window in IL is smaller than the "post-window" . So when the post appeared, I again counted the lines. It was short of twentytwo. Then I had to edit it more than 4 times to make the final count to twentytwo.
    But lady, you are very smart. You compared the hotmail message and the real post and found out the difference. Hats off to you.:hatsoff
    With all these editing I don't think I can call that a twenty-two lines post by default. It is very much by design. Good work, Malathi.

It is very kind of you to have written about those stories. I know what lines you would have underlined. Incidentally in the year 2000 I got an award of Rs.5,000 from the Goverment of Tamilnadu for the story Manippu, for promoting "communal harmony"
    Thanks once again. You made my day.
    regards,

9. Malathijagan

Thank you Sridhar!
    I appreciate your efforts of taking pains (amidst your busy schedule) to give very apt replies to ALL your fans! And 22 is an example!GREAT! And if you would not have mentioned about the 22 lines I certainly would not have gone into the finer details! So the challenge was from your side and the 'Hats off'' goes to you'!