1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varalotti in the US -4 The Old Monsters And The New Lessons!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Sep 12, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Life's lessons come in all shapes and sizes. I never thought, even in my wildest dreams, that a lesson would come in the shape of an ugly monster, a last century machinery, grotesque in its appearance placed in the midst of a beautiful scenery.

One of the week-ends we went on a Cruise. The large boat took us from the Pacific Ocean to the Union Lake. (They have a beautiful mechanism to transfer the boat from the low ocean level to the high lake-water level. We may have a lesson or two there)

There was a guide who was talking non-stop about the sights on the way. There was a fire brigade doing a drill (I had posted the pictures in V - US 3)

But what hurt me, what affected the most was the sight of two giant turbines lying on the shore. The guide went on saying in his typical American accent,

"Those ugly monsters over there, they were used to produce power from gas. They were very active during a period of 50 years from 1906 to 1956 and gave light and power to Seattle. But when other more efficient means of power generation came in, they went out of date. Now they are standing as museum pieces."

Remember these turbines, for a long period of fifty years gave life and power to the whole city. They would have lighted thousands of homes, enabled a million children to do their homework, would have powered the air-conditioners and room-heaters which would have comforted millions.

But when their time came to an end, nobody gave a second thought to what they did. They were just dumped.

I am not blaming the people. When human beings get a more cruel treatment at the hands of their subsequent generations, those ugly monsters cannot complain.

From the depths of tragedy emerged a powerful lesson.

What did that turbines do to merit a total discard?

Now first, if we fail to deliver, whether as an accountant, doctor, parent, wife, husband, teacher or a garbage cleaner, we are sure to be tossed aside by our more efficient counter-parts. And we being humans will not even be preserved as museum-pieces. We will be unceremoniously thrown out of the system. Of course the loved ones will be there to take care of us, giving us food and the necessities. But that's about it.

Now this lesson is quite obvious. But there is another subtle lesson hidden deep inside those outdated monsters. The turbines were doing the same thing all along. They were incapable of changing with the times or circumstances. And that was the reason for their downfall.

How many of us are keeping up with the time? Please do not think that I want you to learn the latest computer languages or learn skiiing now. Take the case of parenting.

Many parents are quite efficient when it comes to the parenting style of a five-year old. Pretty easy. Keep shouting all of the time. Yelling at times. Teach him the basics. If he does not learn punish. Reward occasionally. It works.

The same style is ill-suited for a teenager and almost cruel when the child has grown up. Unless the parents shift gears and learn to let go of their wards, they become the outdated gas turbines. They are only museum-pieces in the lives of their children without any practical use. With those parents the child does not have an active relationship, but only a formal, ceremonious relationship. That makes them exactly like the gas turbine, a museum piece with no use or value.

Forgive me if I had been harsh to the children or the parents in this posts. I am aware that including me, most of us have grown up children and we are in the threshold of changing parental styles. In that context, the dumped gas turbines are great teachers.

Love,

1 person likes this.

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Wow Sridhar!!

Discarded turbines and parenting. Great corelation you have come up with. But i do agree with you. What works for one group will not work for another, and it for us to change and adapt to the needs of the changing world to be always "in need" .
    And here I thought you were going to write about some gruesome sea creature you saw on your cruise and and its tale of survival:cry: !!

Yes we are all learning something new from your "explorologues" ( i call it this as you are always exploring the intrinsic meaning of mundane things in corelation to our lives) .
    Thanks Sridhar for this beautiful new insight that you have brought to "travelogging".:2thumbsup:

65 hours and counting :mrgreen:

Vandhana

3. vinoran

vinoran Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mr. Sridhar,

I have been reading your articles and stories from this site and I am very happy that such a talented person exist in this universe specially my place South India.

Wow !! your comparison of Gas Turbine makes me think about our small changes in life. For example when I was small I used to listen to Gramaphone records which thrilled me. But now we use CD, DVD, MP3 etc to listen the real quality music. Likewise remember our VCRs. In 70's and 80's it was very much expansive to buy a VCR. With a struggle I bought one for Rs.15000/- . At present again the VCR is doomed by CD and DVD players.

I have not been to USA, but I heared that eventhough the latest technologies are very much advanced there, they still relish and enjoy the Gramaphones and VCRs.

So my question is why other countries like India, Thailand (where I am working now) forgotten our old faithfuls?

Again I thank you for activating our brains with your simple examples specially during your US trip.

Another request from me to you Sir, How to get your books in Bangkok. Is it possible to get by courier or could you give the available place in Chennai so that my wife or daughter can get it and courier to me. Please let me know

Thank you & all good wishes for your contributions and long to see your next articles, episodes and serials :yes:
    Best regards
    Vinoran

4. varalotti

Dear All,
    Can any of you guess, what this picture is all about? Varalotti at a height and driving a cycle. Doing a circus? Make a guess and let me know that.
    Vandhana and Vinoran, will reply to you shortly.
    Vandhana, now it is 60 hours and counting
    love,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  5. vinoran

vinoran Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mr. Sridhar,

If what you are doing is real, please please don't do it. But I am clueless or a computer graphic tricks ?!!!!!

Please break the suspense.

Thanks
    vinoran

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Sridhar,

I think the picture you posted has to do with some exhibit in the science center in Space needle?? Its been years since I went to Seattle and they do keep changing the exhibits, but i can recognise those arches in the picture.

Vandhana

7. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Sridhar - that was indeed a great write-up. Life's lessons well learned in unique situations - unless we change with times, we are going to be left behind, much like the old turbines. It is up to each and every one of us to determine how much we want to change. As usual, another great post.
    Although I have not been to Seattle, I am with Vandhana on your acrobatic trick - Space Needle?? YOu must be gearing up for the Bay Area meet. Have fun everyone and post lots of pictures.

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

You are converting your sight seeing experiences to principles of life :) Your fresh views and impressions are valuable indeed. Old turbines and old parents...who would have thought that but you ?! Yes, moving with times is necessary, especially if you want your children to be with you , more emotionally than physical !
    Along with you, I am getting to know Seattle ! Never thought much of it till now and thanks to you, aware of the Space Needle now. :-D Although the cycle ride looks precarious, I could see the wide black belt! You are safe alright and rearing to go to San Jose, Jose! :mrgreen: That's how my grandson would put it !!!

L, Kamla

9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar Sir

:-D :mrgreen: Enjoy your ride!!!

10. varalotti

Thanks, Vandhana. Believe me that was the first thought that struck me when I saw those turbines. In an otherwise beautiful seaside they look odd and at the same time they remind us that for every one of us time will end some day or other.
    The days of 'descriptive travellogues' are gone. When I was a kid I used to read Manian's Idhayam Pesukirathu. At that time for us kids, who had not heard about foreign countries, that style was okay. But for the globe trotting modern generation such travellogue will be as interesting as the Agricultural Development programmes on Dhoordharshan. (Vayalum Vazhvum). Hence I switched over to this style, which comes handy as I have to be constantly on the learning mode, whether it is the complex Daily Val programme or making pop-corn in the office microwave.

44 hours and counting
    sridhar