1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Story in Dinamalar Varamalar

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Oct 18, 2009.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Most Gracious ILites,
    Hope you would have all had a happy Deepavali.

Today's Varamalar (Sunday Supplement to the popular Tamil Daily Dinamalar dated 18/10/1009) carries my short story "Oru Kutti Droham" (A small betrayal).

I am attaching the pdf version of the story along with post.

Please do read the story and tell me what do you think about it.

love,
    sridhar

Attached Files:

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Boost,

Ahaa super O super! Idhu dhan seriyanna nethi adi.

Wonderful...just enjoyed reading the same on a leisure sunday afternoon....Honestly never expected the twist in the tale...Great going...

I can see your fascination for Sharadha & Vasu in all your stories....

3. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar sir,

This is what is called "Netthiadi".

I just love the way you describe the heroines in your stories.Not the usual "beautiful,has all "acham,madam,naanam,payirppu" blah.blah.blah.

Your heroines are intellectual individuals with a sense of humanity.[​IMG]

The story is very good and it is short and crisp.You always rock!:thumbsup

Regards,
    Bhuvana.

4. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Varalotti Sir, Eppadi Sir inthamathiriyellam think pannarel. Arumayo arumai.
    Your stories are always with a twist. padikka padikka next enna ennanu nenaikka thundrum and of course, your(story) heroines are always good in nature.happy about it.

Meenakshi

5. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar Sir,

Loved reading the short story. Your description of the main pratagonist as a no nonsense lady , was really inspiring. Liked your narration, especially the thought process going within Vasu. Nice twist in the story, couldnt guess the ending. Very well written, short and sweet story.

Radhi

6. anushakmurthy

anushakmurthy New IL'ite

Do you have an english version of the story?
    If yes, please share it....

Cheers!
    -Anusha

7. varalotti

The English Version of The Story

The Con-Man
    -A Short Story By Varalotti Rengasamy

Mister Raghu, I can’t tolerate this kind of slackness in work. There were a dozen mistakes in the statement you prepared yesterday. It took me two hours to correct those statements before despatching them to the Head Office.

"I am issuing a memo to you calling for an explanation. Should this happen again I will have you to place you on suspension. Mind it.”

I hung down my head with tears welling in my eyes. I was attempting to mumble words like, ‘I am sorry’, ’One last time’ etc. but no sound would come out of my mouth.

I was fuming inside. Not that I regretted my mistakes or was ashamed of them. I could not bear such caustic remarks coming from my boss and that too a lady five years younger to me and ten years my junior in this organisation.

My impulse was to throw my resignation letter on her face and walk out of this job; but then I remembered my age, the full forty-five years of it, my sick wife and my two school-going children.

Ours is a quasi-Government organisation marketing cement in large scale. Sharadha was in charge of the branch. Five others and I were on her staff.

When I limped out of Sharadha’s room, with my pride fatally wounded and my male ego blasted to smithereens, all my thoughts were focussed on wreaking vengeance on her.

I did not do any other work that day; but was looking for some way through which her name can be sullied and she can be trapped. She should repent what she did to me in the morning for the rest of her life.

H
    onestly I never expected that an opportunity would present itself that very same afternoon.

When I returned to my seat after lunch I saw Ramnath walking out of Sharadha’s room. Ramnath was a building contractor. He was so unscrupulous that he could be branded a thief, rather than a businessman.

I know the entire history of this crook, because I am the senior most in this branch and have worked in a number of other branches.

All others including that bitch Sharadha, though she was the officer in charge, had joined the organisation only when this branch was opened and hence had no clue of Ramnath’s antecedents.

Four years back when I was in a distant branch Ramnath approached our company for his cement requirements. He ordered for two lorry loads of cement and wanted to make the payment by cheque.

It had been our company’s policy to normally insist upon DDs or cash payment. But that can be relaxed for special cases. Ramnath asked me to consider him as a special case and allow cheque payment.

He had gifted me an imported wristwatch and made no secret of the fact that it was the price for me to accord that favour to him.

At that time my only knowledge of Ramnath was that he was very rich and was doing business in crores. The gift he had given to me prevented me from making enquiries outside which I ought to have done.

I recommended his case with over-enthusiastic words. Only after he had taken delivery of the cement did we find that his cheque had bounced. We could have filed a complaint against him and could have initiated criminal proceedings.

As a quasi-Government organisation we had to take approvals at various levels from the Industries Secretary to the concerned Minister. Ramnath had enormous political clout and with that he saw to it that the relevant approvals were scuttled at the top level.

The matter would have been forgotten like so many others in Government circles. But an anonymous letter to the Head Office told about Ramnath’s gift to me. The Government would not mind being cheated by an outsider to the tune of lakhs of Rupees; but it could not tolerate a black sheep inside.

There was a departmental enquiry, which brought every thing out. The fact that I surrendered the gift given by Ramnath did not help matters. I was entrusted with the responsibility of collecting the dues from Ramnath failing which I was ordered to pay a portion of the amount. I was also transferred to a far away branch.

The amount was to be deducted from my salary in instalments and the deduction continues to eat into my salary even today.

W
    hy did Ramnath come here? He should be doing some building project in this town and probably he had come to buy more cement.

My first instinct was to alert Sharada Madam about the crook. He would try to play the same game here also.

Then I thought cruelly, why not use this opportunity to retalliate Sharadha for her nasty words against me. I vowed to keep my mouth shut to see that Sharadha is in trouble with this crook.

As I expected Sharadha called me in the intercom and asked me to come to her cabin.

“Mr. Raghu, there was this guy by name Mr. Ramnath. He wants four lorry loads of cement. In today’s recession that’s a pretty good business which I don’t want to lose at any cost. There is however a small snag. He says that he would give only a cheque.

"I insisted on a DD but he says that’s not possible. I don’t want to lose the business because of that. I am using my discretionary powers to allow this small deviation. The man looks rich and has got good references. What is your opinion?”

Ramnath was a modus operandi thief. He had planned the same thing, which he did earlier. He was a con man of relatively simple tricks. This lady is trapped. And this time it is four lorry loads. Twice the earlier amount. I was in a state of jubilation inside. But externally I wore a bored look and talked in a bland tone:

“It’s okay, Ma’am. The guy looks quite decent. And in today’s conditions selling four loads of cement is not an easy joke. We will easily reach this quarter’s sales targets, Ma’am. You have decided rightly.”

“Good. Here are the particulars. You prepare the invoice, delivery chalan and other documents and keep them for my signature tomorrow. Here's his cheque.

"Have it deposited in our bank today itself. I have already talked to the Bank Manager who has assured me that this will go for today’s evening clearing itself. I have asked Mr.Ramnath to come at eleven, tomorrow morning. Please keep all the papers ready before that. I don’t want him to wait in our office for paper work. Okay?”

“Okay, Ma’am.”

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  8. varalotti

My happiness knew no bounds as I walked out of her room. The crook had spread his net intelligently and the bitch had fallen into it unwittingly.

I could not blame her. In today’s slump conditions selling our high priced cement has become a difficult proposition. If some one comes of his own and orders four loads, who would not be tempted?

Well, Sharadha Madam, you are going to learn one of the most important lessons of your life: that in business matters like these you do need a man’s support and advice.

Especially an experienced and wise person like me. I could not wait to see her face hanging down in shame when her boss shouts at her for this irregularity.

R
    amnath was there at the stroke of ten next morning. He carefully avoided me and went straight into Sharadha’s cabin. An office boy soon ran in with a cup of coffee. A few minutes later I was called in.

“Raghu, Meet Mister Ramnath, a leading building contractor. This is his first business with us. He is going to become our regular customer. This is Mr. Raghu who is in charge of invoicing and collection.”

I saw signs of fear in his face. Even now I can stop this atrocity. But I didn’t want to. Internally I was saying to Ramnath, ’Don’t fear, I won’t betray you. Just trap her in the same way you did me three years back. That’s enough.’

“Raghu, have you got the papers ready?”

“Yes, Ma’am. I prepared the invoice and the delivery order yesterday itself.

They’re on your table. Once you sign them we can give delivery
    immediately. I have checked with our go-down. Four loads - that is 36 tonnes - are ready for delivery.”

Ramnath pleaded in soft words.

“Madam, please sign the papers and arrange to deliver the cement early. Construction work in my sites has come to a standstill for want of cement. Can I hope to get the cement before noon?”

He was unusually tense and wanted to get away with the cement as early as possible.

“Oh, sure. Why not? Raghu, see to it that the lorries reach the delivery points before Twelve. Are you happy?”

Ramnath was too tensed up to speak. He just let out a bland smile.

Sharadha took her pen, uncapped it and was about to sign the invoice. She was about to sign a death warrant for her career.

Two pairs of male eyes were watching it with glee – for entirely different reasons.

9. varalotti

Before the pen hit the paper Sharadha stopped the process and looked up.

“I’m sorry. I almost forgot. Our bank manager wanted me to call him this morning to know about the fate of Mr.Ramnath’s cheque.

He told me that he would check up with Mr. Ramnath’s bank manager about the funds position in his account.

The cheque would have gone yesterday itself for clearing. I’ll just make sure that the cheque is good. You want one more coffee or some cool drinks, Mr. Ramnath?”

“No, Madam.”

I could clearly see drops of prespiration appearing in Ramnath’s face even though the air-conditioner was in full blast. Now if his bank manager were to say that his cheque had been bounced for want of funds he would lose his face.

Sharadha would not hesitate to send a circular about him and his character to all the branches and the Head Office. Ramnath did the only sensible thing to salvage his reputation or what was left of it.

“Madam, I’ll have a word with my bank manager before that. You see I have a number of accounts with my bank. All for income tax reasons, you know.

"I will just ensure that the funds are available in the account in which this cheque is given. Even if it’s not there there’s no need to worry. I will ask him to transfer from my other accounts. Just a minute, Ma’am.”

He virtually ran out of the room with his mobile and was making frantic calls. I saw Sharadha’s face. It was expressionless.

I could guess what had happened. Ramnath had deliberately given a cheque from the account, which had no funds. He thought he would get away with a bad cheque as he did earlier.

Now that Sharadha was about to check the fate of his cheque he was making urgent arrangements to transfer funds to that account so that the cheque is passed. Which meant that Sharadha was out of danger.

H
    e came back within five minutes.

“Now you can call your banker and find about my cheque. My man says it’s through. Anyhow check for yourself.”

Sharadha made a call to our bank manager who confirmed that Ramnath’s cheque was good and that our account has been credited with the full amount.

I was clearly disappointed. I thought there would be an exciting turn of events, which would lead, to an enquiry against Sharadha. But nothing of that sort happened. Now it was just another routine transaction. I felt bored and let out a yawn. Ramnath’s face was ashen.

Now nothing remained except that Sharadha should sign the invoices and delivery orders. We have got the money. Ramnath would have his cement. Just business as usual. I was totally unprepared for what happened next.

S
    haradha did not sign the invoice prepared by me. Instead she stood up and tore that invoice and the accompanying papers into pieces. With a caustic look she told Ramnath:

“You may go now, Mr. Ramnath. The transaction is complete. Thanks.”

“Are you crazy, lady? What the hell are you talking? I have paid the money. Your banker has confirmed that my cheque was good. Now give me my cement. Why the hell did you tear the invoice? It will take another hour to prepare all the papers once again.”

“No need, Mr. Ramnath. I am not going to give you any cement. After you saw me yesterday I called up the Head Office to do a routine check on your name in all the branches.

"They told me that three years ago, you had bought two loads of cement and issued a cheque. The cheque bounced. And you used your political clout to get out of the legal proceedings. We lost the money. This man Raghu was ordered to pay a part of the money you owed to us and we are still deducting the amount from this man’s salary.

"I thought he would remember you and caution me against you. But he was so engrossed in his work and his problems that he virtually forgot about you. He gave a clean chit to you. But that’s a different matter.

"The money you have paid now, I am adjusting against your dues for two loads of cement you bought from us three years ago, the interest due on that amount and the amount we spent for taking legal action against you.

"If any thing remains in your account, we shall pay you by a DD and send it to your office by registered post. If you want to buy cement from us in future you are welcome to do so by remitting the full amount in advance by DD. So long, Mr.Ramnath.”

Ramnath was furious.

“You.. bloody….. you…. You have stabbed me. I’ll see to it that.. you.. are.”

“Save your energy Mr. Ramnath. I have already consulted my lawyer on this. What I have done is perfectly legal. One wrong word coming from you, I’ll sue you for defamation, mind it.”

Ramnath walked out of the room with a furious expression.

“Raghu I am issuing an order to the Accounts Section to reimburse to you all the deductions made from your salary towards Ramnath’s dues. You can collect the payment this evening itself. Try to be more careful in future.”

While there was an uncontrollable flow of tears from my eyes not even a single word of thanks would come out of my mouth. I just folded my hands in her direction.

10. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varalotti
    Wow very beautiful story.
    As sual saw the link and had to go away as couldn't read it but thank you so much for the translation of the story.
    Enjoyed the story. But sharadha shouldn't have shouted at an experienced and elderly person. But being a boss she has to do what she had done. The ending was just awesome clever lady, did not get carried away by Ramnath's words like Raghu.