Chikan Kari work of Lucknow

Discussion in 'Uttar Pradesh' started by sethihardeep, Mar 10, 2009.

1. sethihardeep

sethihardeep New IL'ite

I'm really fascinated by Lucknavi chikankari and love the attention it receives at any social functions. I believe, chikan is one of the most understated way of making a bold style statement. My fascination for this form of art has inspired me to post this thread as I would like to know more about Chikan Kari work of Lucknow.

How prevalent is the industry in Lucknow and is there a possibility of expanding this embroidery work to other places and states beyond Lucknow. Can anybody throw light on this?

2. ashwiniyadav01

ashwiniyadav01 New IL'ite

Hello Hardeep,
    Chikan is absolutely a delight and pride for us, Luchknavi's. It is one of the most pre-dominent industries in Lucknow with the art form passed on from generation to generation.

3. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Chikan embroidery is a form of hand embroidery with a set pattern. Chikan kari work means a set of different designs, using untwisted white cotton, silk or rayon threads on the surface of the fabric.

In chikan work, there is a limited number of stitches and it is usual for many types of stitches to appear on the same piece of embroidery. The popular types of Chikankari work include Taipchi, Bakhia, Phanda, Murri, Jali, Hatkati, Pechni, Ghas Patti, Chaana Pati. It is believed that the Queen Noor Jehan was instrumental in reviving Chikan kari work.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  4. sethihardeep

sethihardeep New IL'ite

Hi Ashwini & Sushma,Thanks a lot for the information. Can we actually go around and see Chikankari being done, as easily in any parts of Lucknow. Which are the parts of Lucknow which has a predominant Chikan Kaari industry.

Moreover, please tell us if this work is mostly done by ladies at home or also in factories. I believe this is one of the traditional art forms that is done as embroidery by hand, are men also involved in the craft form.
    :hide: Too many questions!!! But I'd really like to reveal this mystic Art for me and the world.

5. ashwiniyadav01

Chikan kari is not limited to garments alone. Chikan is basically a way of life in Lucknow, especially for the chikan karigars. It satisfies the fashionable as well as the domestic instinct. The Luckhnawis use chikan to grace their homes in the form of bedspreads, pillowcovers, curtains and drapes.

Today, there a handful of craftsmen and women who practice true chikankari, but they are almost a vanishing breed. The central and state government is making valiant efforts to sustain their craft by opening workshops where chikankars are trained to produce quality work, if not exactly reproduce the earlier aesthetic glory of chikancraft.

[FONT=&quot]State government organizations like the U.P. Export Corporation and the U.P. Handicraft Board are trying to ensure fair wages to the chikan workers, and prevent the exploitation of the chikankar but their efforts do not cover the entire gamut of the chikan workforce.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

6. QueenieB

QueenieB New IL'ite

Chikan Kari in Wedding Outfits

Chikan dresses has always been one of my first choice when going out for a Sunday Brunch. I believe, Chikan in light colored fabrics like sky blue, baby pink and light yellow look stunning when worn on a summer day. And Chikan in white...its incomparable and can ouster any fabric.

I've heard that Chikan kari is now being used by designers in wedding outfits. I haven't seen any...but I guess it'll look elegant as ever. Have you seen any? Can Chikan be done on silk?

7. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

hi

just thought of sharing some chikan work sarees.........Have a glance

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      59.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      59.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      63.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      59.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
  8. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Exceptionally beautiful sarees Roopa; dekh ke hi dil ko thandak aa gayi...:). You know how crazy we ladies are for beautiful sarees, bhale hi hum hamesha jeans & T-shirt mein rehete ho..par saree dekhi to kabhi 'Na' nehi kehete.

Thanks.
    Sonia

9. ashwiniyadav01

Yeah...its true that Lucknow Chikan Work seems to be increasingly dominating the marriage scene. The uniqueness of Chikan Work is exhibited in all the wedding sets like, Wedding Sarees, Salwar Kameez, Dupattas, Designer Lehenga with Choli, Shararas, Ghagra and many more. Chikan work is one of the flourishing arts that forms today due to the dedication and and sense of aesthetic integrity of the traditional Indian embroiders who have kept this century old craft alive .The amount of labor and skill involved in making of the wedding dress that's highlighting the chikan work in the most exquisite manner makes every one a unique piece of art.

Due to the elevation of market standards and the influx of improved technology Lucknow Chikan Work is found in almost all the fabrics that honor the worlds largest collection. The appeal of these designs probably lies in the fact that they are essentially Indian in spirit, but global in wearability and concept. The Lucknow Chikan Work in Weddings has made its mark abroad and has gained recognition Internationally.

10. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

hey sonia

thanks for the feedback..........very true....whatever be our normal attire.......sarees drives us crazy be it whichever types.......just wish to add further and futher to our collections........