1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

PURE honey in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by saraswatibhat, Aug 31, 2009.

1. saraswatibhat

saraswatibhat Senior IL'ite

hello ladies,

Is it possible to get pure honey in US.?We use Dabur honey right now..but it is not pure..Any other brands..?

Ladies Please advice,
    Sara

2. krishnendu

krishnendu Bronze IL'ite

hi,

yes we do get pure honey here.."BeeMaid" honey is a US grade A product..

3. anooch

anooch Bronze IL'ite

hi saraswatibhat!

isn't dabur honey pure? how to know whether honey is pure or not?

thanks
    anoo

4. saraswatibhat

Hi Anu,

I have used pure honey while in India and the taste is quiet different.And it is no so much sweet(Dabur tastes like thick sugar syrup!)..Also my mom says if we put a drop of honey on water ,If the honey is impure, it will dissolve in the water else it will stick together and sink as a solid lump to the bottom of the glass.

Hi Krishna,

Thanks for the info..Will surely try!

Regards,
    Sara

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  5. anooch

anooch Bronze IL'ite

hi saraswatibhat!
    thanks for the info.. will test the honey
    anoo

6. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi Sara,

If you have any whole foods store or organic health food stores nearby, try there.
    we buy honey in a organic store and it is very good. u can fill up how much little you want depending on your usage and they charge by weight.we take our own bottles to fill up. but check with ur organic stores.

Chaaral.

7. saraswatibhat

Hi chaaral,

Thanks so much for your info.Which organic store is it.?

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I get my natural honey from local beekeepers who sell at the farmers market here. The honey in supermarket such as SueBee has been boiled so that it does not solidify. Boiling or microwaving honey ruins the health benefits of honey so this is not a good practice. Its best to get a honey from a private bee keeper or through a natural foods store where the honey is thick and may solidify after some time. That means the sugar contents are not diluted or otherwise ruined. It is also best to get honey from the local area where you live as taking a small amount daily will act like allergy shots and give you immunity to local pollens. One local beekeeper here even sells the bee pollen for consumption. Keep your eyes out for signs for folks who sell the honey from there homes. You can also notice the beekeeping boxes in their yards. Just remember not to give honey to babies.

9. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

I dont remember the name, it doesn't have a branch i think, but just a small organic foods store. will check out the name and ask if they have branches this week. i am planning to buy pure maple syrup too there, never tried before.

Chaaral.

10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Chaaral:
    Just so you know: the real maple syrup is a LOT sweeter than the "maple flavored" syrup they sell in the grocery stores. Be sure to just use a little when you first try it.

Some uses you might like to try: very nice over oat porridge, and it makes a nice ice cream sundae with vanilla ice cream and either pecans or walnuts (I like the pecans).