1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

question on buying gold in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by arasi999, Dec 13, 2008.

1. arasi999

arasi999 New IL'ite

hi
    has any one bought gold in US...
    how is the quality compared to india..
    what are the types of gold we have in US....
    how much is the cost for a 8gm chain
    is there anywhere we can find deals for it

2. skavi

skavi Senior IL'ite

i bought gold in Atlanta, malani jewelers...

but here in US there will not be much choice and they charge you for item not by gold in grams....it will be item price...i bought two pieces and diamond studs, i felt i paid a lot of money compared to India.......

skavi

3. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi,

i made my purchases in devon ave. chicago.

i was told that the gold that u buy here is more pure than the indian gold. also here they charge u for the items and donot weigh and calculate it with the one gram price.

u can bargain with the price by calculating with the indian one gram price adding labor and wastage and then convert it to dollar. more or less u should end up in paying the same amount if u had purchased it in india. then it is a good buy. u can pay little more but not much.

4. surya123

surya123 Senior IL'ite

what u want to buy???? i mean ornaments or coins???/

5. vids

vids Senior IL'ite

The gold in US stores is usually 14 carat gold which is not as good as the gold in India (usually 22 carat)
    You can try in the "Indian" street in Dallas...you can find Indian jewelry stores and the quality of gold would be the same as in India..prices are a little higher than in India though..!!

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Just so you know, the American preference for 14k is because it is much stronger and doesn't wear away like the higher karat weight. It is good for daytime wear.

The pure gold here is (I have heard) the purest in the world. You can get bullion coins from coin dealers NOT jewellers. For 24k you are not paying for the labor like in jewelry. You can go to the US Treasury website and understand this gold and find dealers.

For those who like trips, there are Mints in several cities and you can go and have a tour of how money is made, stored, etc.