1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

airtel super singer

Discussion in 'TV' started by ladybug23, Jul 10, 2013.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

In defence of the singers' lackluster performance, I think it is extremely difficult to sing in such close quarters of a personality such as ARR and for that, they mus definitely be commended. As much as I hate celebrity worshiping, the fact is that ARR is for many, a larger than life personality and to sing his own songs in front of him is no mean feat!

I agree with those who said Bhavana was a great MC. She did conduct the whole show very gracefully.

I think this series is one of the best I have seen in Super Singer, not in terms of singing, but just with the vibe and everything. ARR, as big as he is, I found him to be completely down to earth, not speaking in superlatives and being very measured in his comments. I liked that he pointed out to Syed Subahan the need to learn music to better himself, something which none of the other judges have mentioned to him. One thing that really strikes me about these people is the mutual admiration they have for each other without being arrogant. Stalwarts like Chitra/SPB/MSV/Janaki/PS have absolutely no airs about their achievements, which probably is a reason why they are still the shining stars of Tamizh Industry, even after so many decades! I find this lacking in the HIndi industry for some reason, especially among the MDs and singers of the present. It is actually humbling for me to see ARR being so humble!!

6 people like this.
  2. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Very true Peartree! I hardly watch this programme but this week, I just had to watch it for ARR! And you are are right! Its totally commendable that the contestants managed to sing in front of ARR. I mean, its hard enough to find the right words to say before him but to sing his song? Even the musicians were trying hard to impress him. In the swasame swasame song, one of the musician were playing the interlude longer and different from the original and he was keenly looking at ARR (for approval?) after playing the tune. I can understand how nervous and exciting they must have felt before him.

About ARR's comments on Syed having inherent talent...well, I think its expected from him. Like how SPB used to tell, you can never hear one negative comment coming from ARR. No matter how bad a singer sings, he would always have something nice to tell about their singing. Probably Syed's comments was a testimony to that as well. Among the lot, I'm glad that ARR was impressed with Diwakar. Whether he wins the title at the end of the day, I'm just hoping that ARR will give him a chance to sing in his music.

1 person likes this.
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Sofea, bang on about the no negative comment from him. I think that's the reason why everything around him seems so positive. I used to get into the usual argument with friends about the great Ilayaraja/ARR debate, and as much as I tend to lean towards Ilayaraja's music more because of my general love for music of the yesteryear, some of ARR's classical based numbers are my absolute favorites, and of course there are those songs of his that you only start liking after listening to it a couple of times.

But aside from his music, what amazes me about him is just his personality! I am sure he will give Diwakar a chance some day. I have heard this about ARR - he never forgets a good voice/talent apparently and tries to use it in some capacity. One of the first hand example I have seen is of a singer called Abhilasha. She was a contestant in many Hindi/Marathi talent hunt shows and on many occasions, the judges have found her to be the best talent among the lot, but would always be eluded of the first place since apparently, the SMS style voting did not give her enough votes for the first place, owing to her being South Indian. I remember ARR gave her good feedback in the Zee Singing Stars show. Recently, she was one of the chorus singers in his Coke Studio single "Aao Balma". Amazing, really!

1 person likes this.
  4. ASHWINRAJ

ASHWINRAJ Gold IL'ite

I was moved away when Divakar was asked by ARR to sing any song and he too sang a song immediately without any hesitation. I am damn sure, ARR gives him a chance to sing in any of his forth coming composing songs.

I jump from toe to bottom,:banana when Diwakar sings with full enthu.You people might be surprised, I even forgot that I had been preparing dosa, later I sniffed to find out the dosa had turned black :spinand got a good kick off from my mom. :rant

ARR in Super singer is driving me crazy the whole week. :wow

1 person likes this.
  5. luckwaves

luckwaves Platinum IL'ite

ARR rocks .... Lovely to see him this whole week . Kudos to Bhavna as she managed the show very well.

Waiting for the competitive round to see syed getting eliminated .
    i hope and wish the next round will be a Carnatic round .

6. aniShekar

aniShekar Platinum IL'ite

I remember him talking about judging music shows - he'd said he's quite wary, since he doesn't want any wrong decisions he might make affect a prospective singer's musical talents. If only some of the current TV show judges realize how true that is! I especially liked the way ARR literally giggled for that rather strict bearded judge's comment - he said something like "that's a big thing coming from him - he never praises anyone!" :) ; and the bit where he said "I usually sing a couple of songs and escape!"

This week's SS was a good change, wasn't it? I haven't been watching at all these last few weeks. ARR's week was really good though...and Bhavna too, carried off the show very well. Sometimes, it isn't easy to compere an ARR show - ARR himself is very laidback, and then the others go all overboard in praising him that you could almost feel him squirming inside! But Bhavna made sure there were plenty of easy moments.
    Looks like Diwakar made the best impression on ARR...Singers like Naresh Iyer (was the 6th in Indian Idol, I think), have managed breakthroughs just because they happened to perform well in front of ARR - maybe Diwakar's career would turn out just so too...

1 person likes this.
  7. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

So, I think Sonia will go this week. I was quite surprised that Syed's performance was called "outstanding" by Unnikrishnan when it was actually laden with sruthi issues.

8. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

I really hope so too Ani! Frankly speaking, I'm getting tired of the non-stop praises that the judges lavish on SS and Parvathy. I wish Diwakar gets a good break from ARR and gives a good nose cut to all these judges!

By the way, is it only me or did anyone else felt that Soundarya's version of Evano Oruvan Vasikiran is far better than Parvathy's version yesterday? Not that I like Soundarya but I felt that she did a better job previously than Parvathy did! And to think that Srinivas was praising Parvathy to no end, "I've seen a lot of people performing this song but no one presented it the way you did!" and "You made us feel proud for choosing you" or something like that! Arrggghh! WitsendOk, maybe I should just stop watching this show!

9. aniShekar

aniShekar Platinum IL'ite

Yes, Sofs! I've more or less quit watching the shows, and just read the updates on this thread! (I watch online, but it's annoying, nevertheless :) )

So Soniya's in the danger zone this week? And Syed is still having a gala run? He's going to make it all the way to the finals, I suppose - either directly, or through the wild card round ;-) It's a pity - how these singers have to make sure they're in the judges' good books (esp.Srinivas's) so as to make it big.
    I always felt Shenbagaraj was eliminated quite early on because his song interpretations varied from what the judges (Srinivas) expected. And likewise Niranjana - there would always be come trifling, nonsensical comment on her singing...she might not be winner material, but she definitely deserved a top 10 place. And I still can't get over the way poor Sai Vigesh was sent off :rantHmmm...Namma sollurathe yaar kaekuraanga? (Who listens to us, anyway?) :)

4 people like this.
  10. kuttimma

kuttimma Bronze IL'ite

I am doing the same. I stopped watching this show after Sai vignesh got eliminated but I am reading the updates here. I am wondering how this so called professional singers can be very impartial. Personally I feel they over hype parvathi and SS and I didnt like the way shenbagaraj, niranjana, deepti and Saivignesh got eliminated. Being a judge they have every right to decide who is the best singer but they should stick to one yard stick for everyone. For their favorite contestants they will give multiple chances but for the above contestants they said their day's performance was not good. My only request for srini, unni, sujatha and mano, Pls stick to vijay tv and dont go and spoil any other music shows.

2 people like this.