Schools in Trivandrum!

Discussion in 'Trivandrum' started by ANK, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Hi Gals!

Given the tough times we are having due to recession, we might have to re-locate to India. I'd luv to do that, but my main concern and anxiety stems from the fact of re-locating my 13 yr. old son!

He has done his schooling outside India all these years, and is an average student. He is ahead if we take age into account (just turned 13) and will be done with grade 8 in May. That means he can very well go into Std. 8 in India, in June, if we do re-locate.

Now my question is........Syllabus??!! I've been checking out schools in Trivandrum, and have narrowed down couple of them....one is Christ Nagar Int. and Gurukul. I have mailed them, but yet to hear from them.

My questions are to do with Syllabus. Is IGCSE the way to go for a student migrating from USA? How similar/different is IGCSE from the USA Syllabus? He knows only English, so will he have the option of taking Addl. English or French in Std. 8, and no other language?

I am quite anxious and worried on this account......if any of u could help me out, I'd really appreciate it!:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

2. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

3. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

4. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

ANK,
    I too dont have clear idea about the syllabus & academics.So I thought the website might help you.Did they mail you back?Why not give them a call?Do you have anyone in Trivandrum who can go in person &check with them.

ammu

5. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Ank,

We are also planning on relocating to Kerala next year (our choice)....Cochin to be exact. Last year while on vacation I checked out a few schools and was told that my daughters (12 and 8 now) can take English, French and a second English to make up for the languages. I am not sure but I think that CBSe cirriculum would have the student take Hindi. Even so, children will pick up languages fairly easily. Even if he does poorly in Hindi I would focus more on the Math and Science aspects. Since your son was born here, he must be taking French in school, right? So, Hindi is the only language that would give him some trepidation.

I also share your worries but it is great that you are going back to Kerala - even it is without a choice. Good Luck

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  6. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Ammu!

I did mail them...and they sent me the standard automated info. No personal clarifications...just come and visit us...and we'll take it from there! My inlaws are in Tvm., but too old to go about...any case...i've asked my FIL to check out Christ nagar Int. coz thats in Kowdiyar...close to where they live.

7. ANK

ANK Bronze IL'ite

Hi Manas!

Great to get the details on schooling.....could u share which school offers the same...as in Frencha nd Addl. English? I was thining of opting for IGCSE, so in future he could travel abroad to do his Uni.

We are still thinking.....and have been thinking since couple of yrs., about moving back to India (Me and son only), coz parents too are getting old, and all family is here in US. Now with recession....the thought process is in action again......hubby will be staying back though!

All said and done...miss home so much.......and cannot wait to get back!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  8. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Like I said....I don't have any info on schools in TVM....but in Kochi, Rajagiri is a great school and the Father there was the one who told me about taking 2 English classes and a French as a substitute. Dawn Internation School is also great in catering to the needs of NRI's...but both are very expensive and its good to have a political connection in order to get into them.

Yea, we're definitely planning on this. DH's parents are counting the days till we get there. Like yours, my DH will also be staying back for a couple of months to sell the houses and stuff. Getting excited just thinking about it. But, what will you do there? Do you have a job lined up? I'm still sending out my resumes and looking.

9. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

hi dear,
    I would strongly suggest Bharatiya vidya Bhavan!!! Coz that's MY School!!! Most friendly school... There are other's too St Thomas.. Christ Nagar... :thumbsup

Good Luck!

10. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

I personally feel CBSE Syllabus would be less stressful for kids. Especially if they are international students. ICSE could be a lot of work and tough too.. And as for Second Language, they have the option of choosing sanskrit instead of malayalam... And i bet all the school teachers would be considerate and helpful and would take extra care for students if you want them to... :thumbsup