Ajanta and Ellora!!

Discussion in 'Travel' started by nihasvin, Feb 16, 2010.

1. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,
    We have been to Ajanta and Ellora last Nov-Dec.I was not quiet impressed with the plan to Ajanta and Ellora.But when i reached there, its the most amazing place.We are all quiet impressed with the caves,statues,painting...I was stunned by the architecture.Couldnt imagine how many people worked,how they worked..really really amazing.

Day-1

We started from Navi Mumbai by 6 in the morning.Visited Bandardara , hilly area..traffic less roads,pollution-free ears,lovely landscapes.. Reached Shirdi by noon.Had darshan and went to Shanishingnapur (yes the place comes in the recent bike ad).Most of the buildings s not having doors.Reached Aurangabad (CITY OF GATES) that night.
    We stayed in MTDC resort.Too good.Good veg restaurant opp to the resort.

Day-2

We went to Ellora. I just fell love with the place.Auto-rickshaws are available.They will take us to all the caves. Cave 16 was awesome!!

We visited Aurangazeb's tomb. He has requested his son to make a simple tomb for him. He earned money by making the caps and he wanted to build the tomb using only that money.Now thay have put marble covering for his tomb.The feeling was very different when i was standing at the ground where a Mughal King who was both very good and bad.

We visited Panchakki,a water mill.Its a architecture by which the chakki grounds wheat using the power of water which they bring from few kms.

Day-3

We went to Bibi ka Maqbara ,famously known as Poor man's Taj. It s a replica of Taj Mahal built by Aurangazeb's son for his mother (Aurangazeb's wife).

We went to Ajanta. I love Ajanta more than Ellora.Ajanta has paintings and paints painted before 2000 years are still remaing.They made these paints naturally.Most of them are worn out.Under Indo-Japanese collaboration, Japanese students were doing some laser work to preserve those paintings.They have painted Jataka tales,Buddhas life incidents,Wheel of life,beautiful ladies wearing glittering jewels,etc..I was surprised to see 3D paintings.

Ajanta caves is like a horse shoe..and it seems the scultpures and painters worked in the caves get sunlight in the morning and in the opposite caves which get light in the afternoon.Some of the caves are incomplete..

I was taken aback to my history classes when i visited aurangabad.

I could see more foreigners than Indians at Ajanta and Ellora.People from South east Asia and whoever follows Buddhism shows much interest to visit the caves created by Buddhists which epicts Buddhism beautifully.

Please do visit Ajanta and Ellora with your children. Let them feel the amazing architecture,paintings,etc... I m sure you will be proud to be in India that too as an Indian.

Googling provides you more info.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010

2. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Nice narration about your trip to the India's monumental berth.Kindled my desire of longing to visit that place.As an artists i always amaze the beauty of Ajantha paintings.Planned atleast once in my life have to visit there along with my son who is an budding artists too.
    If fixed some pics would have been a real feast for us.If have please attach some photographs.
    Thanks.

3. skchivukula

skchivukula Bronze IL'ite

Hi Niha
    An excellent travlogue. Haven't visited these places till now. After reading your write-up I wish to visit these places and also elephanta caves, khandala, lovawala.

4. suryayasaswini

suryayasaswini Silver IL'ite

Hi niha,
    Nice write up, i have also visited that place.it has been in 1994. yes really wonderfull architecture.but we did't see all the caves.any way that was nice trip. u r post remainding me that trip . thank u.

5. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Nihasvin:

Nice write up. I have visited Ajanta & Ellora when I was young. Your travelogue sort of brought back those lovely memories. Would love to go back there with my husband and children. Hope it happens soon:)

Sindhu

6. Chitra29

Chitra29 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi nihasvin
    Its a nice write up & made me revisit that place one more time.
    Yes! I made a visit in 2007 before coming to Trivandrum.
    It was a memorable one.
    Why don't you upload some photos here.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Regards.
    chitra

7. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Sorry friends,somehow i missed to reply :(

Thanks Saroji , Chivukula , Surya, Sindhu and Chithra for ur feedback :)
    Wishing you to visit the place soon :)

8. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

Beautiful Narration;

9. celltech

celltech New IL'ite

thanks for sharing