A Trip to Jordan.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Arunarc, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A Trip to Jordan
    Got to see another wonder of the world.
    This information is for those who wish to go to Jordan from Egypt. And for others you can travel by air from your destination.:)
    From Cairo you can travel to Taba, border of Egypt by car which is around 500 km. Which will take exactly 6 hours? The travel agent will make arrangement for a day trip to Jordan which you can get visa on arrival to Jordan. The speed boat which takes about 45 minutes to travel to Aqaba from Taba.
    A good experience as it goes very fast and you actually get scared, but it is fun.
    Once you reach Jordan, city called Aqaba from here you can go to Petra which is one of the wonders of the world. From Aqaba to Petra it takes 2 hours by bus a wonderful drive through the mountains. Aqaba is also a border of Saudi Arabia. From Aqaba, Soudi Arabia border is just about 20 km.
    While going from Aqaba to Petra, You can see houses built on the mountains. In Jordan you will never find tall buildings. There are no buildings having more than four floors. I was hoping I will find atleast 1 ............hehe but no way.
    Jordan was once a part of Pharaonic Egypt, and also spawned the native Nabatean civilization which left rich archaeological remains at Petra. Petra is a Greek word which means rock.
    Once you reach Petra you can see a narrow entrance which you will have to walk through high cliffs, as you are walking you can see the tombs of these Nabateans and the caves which were built during 100 BC. Building caves and tombs on these high mountains which are almost touching the sky in itself is a wonder. But some of these have been destroyed but still you will find many. The beautiful carving at the entrance of the tombs is very beautiful. I am attaching all the photos, the hugh Rock Mountains, the caves and the tombs. To explore this area it will take around 3 to 4 days, but if you wish to have a quick look at and come back you can do it in 3 hours , which we did it in 3 hours as it was just a day trip. In these rocky mountains you can see a Theatre which can occupy 1000’s of people, a place to sacrifice the animals on one of the rock to reach there we need to climb around 800 to 900 step, we just viewed it from down never had the time to climb these step and have a look at this place. We could see a few people walking on the top.
    Jordan is very rich in minerals. The mountains in Petra are all red, and it is also called the red city. These red mountains are rich in iron, even the mud that you find here is red. It looks like sand but when you pour water on this sand, it is reddish. When we were in the middle of our journey it started raining and you could see the sand colour changing to red when it is wet. Petra is not a very big city it is one of the small village.
    No vehicles are allowed in these mountains. In case you cannot walk you can hire a horse or a horse drawn carriage. Even camels and donkeys are available if you find difficult to walk.:)
    The attached photos

1. Might be another important place in these rocky mountains. I exactly don't know what is this but it is like a cave from inside.
    2. Is the narrow path through the mountains which we walked through.

Will add some more photos in the next post.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    1 person likes this.

2. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Arunarc,
    by your wonderful description, you made me travel virtually, to those places. A theater, in the mountains wow:eek:mg:! Thank you dear for sharing with us your experience and for the wonderful photos.
    with love
    pad

3. Arunarc

1. The Treasury or 'Al-Khazneh'.

Have taken the history of this from the google

The Treasury is just the first of the many wonders that make up Petra. You will need at least four or five days to really explore everything here. As you enter the Petra valley you will be overwhelmed by the natural beauty of this place and its outstanding architectural achievements. There are hundreds of elaborate rock-cut tombs with intricate carvings - unlike the houses, which were destroyed mostly by earthquakes, the tombs were carved to last throughout the afterlife and 500 have survived, empty but bewitching as you file past their dark openings. Here also is a massive Nabataean-built,

2. In the mountian you can see some opening these are the caves of the natives.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. Arunarc

Dear Padmini
    Thank you for being the 1st one dear.
    My net is very slow so uploading the pictures is taking some time. There are some important places which i will be downloading them.

5. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Aruna,

Your detailed write-up is too good and the photos are a visual treat, just makes me want to visit the places... happy to have done a photo-tour at least!

Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful experience... EQ, you are fortunate to be in a place that gives you easy access to such exotic destinations!

Love,
    Padma

6. Arunarc

1.. Steps of the stadium.

2. These are the tombs on the top you can see few arc like structures one arc is one tomb.
    Right in front of these tombs was the palace but now it is been destroyed by the earthquake.

3. you can see the cave on top of the hugh mountain.

Just imagine climbing these rocking mountains everyday could have been so difficult....:)
    These people might be use to it.:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  7. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear EQ,
    A visual treat ! wonderful!!! enjoyed the trip! if I take that task I will become S(L) imran. Thank you buddy for sharing with us.
    with love
    pad

8. suryayasaswini

suryayasaswini Silver IL'ite

Hi aruna,

the way u wrote, the details u given really nice . the photos r really buaitifull. thanks for sharing.

syama

9. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

wow Aruna, what a great write up and love the pictures.

love
    alpa:cheers

10. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Nice write up, Aruna! My knowledge of Jordan was limited to knowing that it was a kingdom! I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many architectural feats in the country.

Did you go into any of the caves? Hmmm... climbing 800-900 steps - that would have really tested the fittest:)

Sindhu