My Honeymoon trip to Sikkim

Discussion in 'Travel' started by manasa_gs, May 25, 2009.

1. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

HI ladies,
    How are you all doing? I am back after my marriage and honeymoon. It was overall a great experience.
    I just thought I will give you all an idea about Sikkim, so that it will be helpful for people who want to visit. Ladies, in case till now if you had not thought of visiting Sikkim, please don’t have that thought, do visit Sikkim, according to me it was PARADISE.:)

Sorry, if my post is little big, but I am so eager to tell you everything.
    We had planned a 9 days trip to Sikkim, covering Gangtok and North Sikkim.
    Day 1: We had booked a flight from Chennai to Bagdogara (nearest airport to gangtok). It was a direct flight, but had a stop in Calcutta for half an hour. For both of us, it was a first flight experience, so we were enjoying it. J.
    From bagdogara, gangtok is about 3 and half to 4 hours travel, you have a prepaid counter in the airport , so please don’t go out and search for a taxi, go for a prepaid taxi, it is much cheaper.
    We reached gangtok at around 6.30 to 7 in the evening (started from Chennai at around 11.30)
    We had already booked a hotel from Chennai, actually this is my second visit to gangtok, so I was almost like a guide to my husband, and we booked in the same hotel where I had stayed along with my parents 4 years back.
    Day 2: We started for local sightseeing in Gangtok, the driver charged around Rs 1500. We visited the hanuman Tok, GaneshTok, Rumtek monastery, Handicraft Museum, Bakthang waterfalls, Tashi View Point, Chogyal Flower Exhibition center.
    My favorite was Rumtek Monastery, very peaceful place.
    Day 3: We were planning to go to Nathula pass, baba mandir, and Changu Lake. But unfortunately we could not get the army pass, so we had to stay in gangtok.
    Day 4: We started to North Sikkim, reached a place called Lachen. Stayed in a hotel called Blue Pine, it was really good over there. We had gone in a group, we were four couples and one elderly person aged around 63 also came with us. :thumbsup
    Day 5: We started around 5.30 in the morning, to Gurudongvar lake(I am not very sure of the spelling J), the road was really bad, we reached that place and my God, it was paradise, I swear, it was paradise, I have never seen such blue water in my life. When u travel to that place, you can never imagine there is such a beautiful place there as the route was really bad. Surrounded by snow capped mountains, the lake was full blue in color, the altitude is 17000 ft, it was really cold. I was fully covered, with one sweater, one jerkin, one head cap and another head cap, gloves, shoes. It was really windy, very cold, in fact I was having little bit of breathing problem. If people have asthma, wheezing problem it is better to just have a look at the lake and come back and sit in your vehicle. It was really warm inside the vehicle.
    We had to leave that place after some time L, we proceeded to our respective hotels, had lunch, yummy lunch in should say. Pack our things and started to a place called Lachung. Reached there in the night, had dinner in our Hotel, Iceland Residency.
    Day 6: we started in the early morning around 5.15, to a place called katao, again the road was really bad, after some 2 to 2 and half hour journey, we reached katoa….ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, It was full of snow, I have seen snow in my life, infact none of them in our group, so you can imagine how we were jumping, we literally ran to that place, my god , we went to the top, took lot of photos, videos, and the best thing here was our group , all eight of us hitting each other and playing, ( uncle did not come to this place as he has already seen lot of snow). Though it was full of snow, it was not very cold over there, we could remove our jackets and play . Without any heart , we had to leave from there, to our hotel, have breakfast, immediately we had to proceed to a place called Yumthang Valley.
    That was another paradise, river flowing near you, surrounded by snow capped mountains, Yaks grazing in the field, you need to be careful with the yaks, it seems , if you go and disturb them, they might hit you. Actually this valley is supposed to full of flowers, but the flowers were blooming only now , so we could not find many flowers.
    Then we again proceeded to our hotel, had lunch, started around 2 from there back to gangtok.
    On the way to Gangtok was really adventurous, due to landslide, the road was blocked for 2 and half hours, then our Driver, Sanam bhaiya,( that’ s how we called him), decided that we can take a transit vehicle from there, it means they will call up their tour operator and ask another vehicle to come and we have to go in that vehicle from there. But we had to walk about half or more than that to catch the vehicle, it was almost in the night, it was mountain, even if you slip , that ‘s it, it was really muddey, full of vehicles. Thank god, I had prepared a trip list and I had torch in that list, we were the only people to have torch in that group, we helped others and we were all holding hands and walking, two guys before us,and two guys after us. It was a great team effort. Finally we reached our vehicle and zoom to Gangtok.
    Day 7: We were sleeping hours together , we were really tired.
    Day 8: It was a Tuesday, unfortunately , nathula Pass is closed:hide: . So another day of rest for us, we jus had a walk in MG Road, this road gave us an abroad feel, it was as if, we were abroad, it was so beautifully planned, fountains, lighting , too good.
    Day 9: We got our army pass, we were actually getting ready , but bad luck again, due to heavy rain and landslide, the army people had cancelled all the passes.
    Day 10: We had to start from Gangtok to Bagdogara to catch our flight at 3.30. We were planning to go for Rafting in Teesta river. So we stopped in between for rafting. Wow, that was another great experience. We got fully drenched. But I don’t know y, we had the most memorable trip I guess. After rafting we had to go to the airport directly and the driver said, it will take 45 mins from here to go to the airport. Bad luck again, due to an accident between an army truck and another huge truck, the road had been blocked for the past 4 hours. So, we had to miss the flight, we reached airport at 6 in the evening, had to pay a change fee of 18k and changed the tickets for the next day. You know what, in spice jet alone, around 15 of them had missed their flights because of this.
    We got a hotel room near by to the airport.
    Day 11: It was bandh day, so we started from our hotel at 11.45 itself. Finally we reached airport at 12. My god, wat a sign of relief. Immediately we got our boarding passes. Another big relief. You know our parents were constantly calling us and for everythg they would say appadaaaa…..:biglaugh
    We were so eager to board the flight that, we were standing in a queue which was supposed to be another flight at 2.30. J
    Then our flight was announced, then hooray we boarded the flight finally…..
    This flight has a stop in calcutta. The flight would stop there for about half an hour and start to Chennai. But you know what, I think we got the rain from Gangtok to Calcutta. It started raining heavily in Calcutta and due to weather conditions , they said, we would stop there till it clears. Myself and my hubby were sure, that we are going to spend our night only in Calcutta J. It was really funny:biglaugh, the flight would start to take off, then it will slow down, it will start , it will slowdown. The pilot was a foreigner I guess, he will announce somethg so soft and so fast, onnum puriyala (we could understand nothing ) hehe…
    Then finally after so many rounds around the airport, he took off……
    We reached chennai 1 hour late. Wow, we finally landed in Chennai. It was great listening to tamil, after so many days of Hindi and Nepali. J
    Inspite of all this, I would say we had a great memorable trip. It was a great experience for us.
    Iam really sorry if it was too long.
    I am not able tp upload my pics now, will definitely post my pics once I upload.

2. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

hi manas ,

it is great to see you here after a very long gap....... with all your wonderful travel HM experience. you took us to sikkim virtually by your nice words. well expressed. what about your expe regarding food?

hey , share your shopping expe also yaar ............... any special gifts from your DH? & plz upload the close-up shots. must contain you & your hubby...o.k? eagerly waiting to comment on your jodi photos also.

3. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Hey thanks so much Sadhana. I was eagerly waiting for atleast one reply. I have written such a long story, not even one reply, :frown:
    Thanks so much sweet heart for the reply:thankyou2:.

Food was actually good, if you like chapati, dal , subji, then there is no problem. In North Sikkim, you dont get any breakfast other than bread , maggi, etc.

Actually, we did not shop much for us, other than slippers for my hubby and handbags for me. We were shopping for our home, and my home. :):).

YOu get lot of lucky charms like lamps, bells, etc over there, it is very famous in sikkim.

4. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

dear manas ,

hey , dont worry yaar , soon it will pick-up.:thumbsup

mmmm.......proudly saying ' MY HOME ' became a pucca housewife ,aaa?

you stay in chennai ???? in your new home??? enjoy dear!

why dont you share your 1st cooking expe after marriage & its comments from hubby & in-laws? start more new threads about your newly cheerful married life moments....... sure, i will reply to it . hehehee:rotfl

5. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

My home is my Mom's place, Our home is new place, but i always refer as our home :).

Yeah i stay in chennai with my in laws, right now, i am doing the edupidi velai for my in law. Ippavairaikum Filter coffee dan potturuken, though i know cooking, i have not yet started in our house .

Things are very different here, so jus learning from my mamiyar :)

6. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear manasa,
    wishing you happy married life!
    re ally enjoyed reading about trip. though you have gone as honey moon trip, how come you noticed even a minute thing? beautiful narration. Virtually you took me to Sikkim.( but I walked 10 steps behind you, the newly married couple.:). so glad to see you here. so now you rock with new vigor and experience.
    with love
    pad

7. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Thank you so much Padmini mam. I wanted to write abt my sikkim trip in IL, so i noted down all the places that i visited.

I love travelling, so i note down all the details.

I like your Avatar Padmini mam.:)

8. Mallie

Mallie Senior IL'ite

Hi Manasa

That was a very beautiful narration. By the way, Congrats for your wedding. Believe me , I felt the cool weather and the serene lake in front of my eyes. Keep up the good work.

Good luck for your cooking. Don't worry, neengalum seekaram nalla samyal kathukeruvinge.:thumbsup

9. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Nice narration of your trip. I'm tempted to see those blue waters soooo much.
    Waiting for the photos

10. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Thanks so much Mallie. If you can, definitely visit sikkim, esp North sikkim once . :)