Interesting places I visited

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Chitra29, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Chitra29

Chitra29 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi ILites,
    I would like to share some of the places I visited in and around Thiruvananthapuram. Some of u might've visited these places, some of u might be living in these places,for some of u ur native place....But I am going to write what i saw in these places...I'll go one by one. Suppose any of u could give more details about these places feel free to post here! If I am wrong please correct me o kay?!
    One of the places that fascinated me is Mathoor Thottipalam,near Kulasekaram in Kanniyakumari district,Tamilnadu, India.As u all know palam means bridge. Bridge is built for the benefit of people to cross a river or to connect two hills to cross a valley(called viaduct). But here the bridge is constructed to take water from one side of the hill to another hill.Can u imagine what Iam saying!! It is a trough canal built to take water from one hill to the other hill for Irrigation purpose!!! Mathoor trough is one of the tallest as well as the longest trough bridge in ASIA, having a height of 115 feet. It is constructed in 1969. The bridge crosses the river Parazhiyar & irrigates the taluks of vilavancode & Kalkulam. The trough(canal length from one hill to another) length is 384 metres, height is 7feet .29 huge pillars shoulder the canal.There is a walk-way along the canal thro'which we can also take a walk. From the walk-way we could see a river running below in the valley, green coconut groves,rubber plantation,etc. Such a wonderful place!! I can't upload pictures as all are more than 2Mbps?...Bye for now.I'll post about some other place hen I find time.Regards.
    chitra

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008

2. Chitra29

3. Chitra29

4. malathyj

malathyj Silver IL'ite

Such a lovely place. very interesting. Rgds M

5. Chitra29

Hi Ilites,:wave
    T'day I would like to take u to Thirparappu falls. It is in Kanniyakumari dist. near mathoor thottipalam where we went Y'day!

The Kodayar makes its descend at Tirparappu and the water fall at this place is about 13km. from Pechiparai dam.The river bed is rocky and about 300 feet in length. The water falls from a height of nearly 50 feet and the water flows for about seven months in a year. between the water falls and the weir, there is a temple dedicated to Siva enclosed by strong fortification. There are seperate bathing place for Gents & ladies.When I went there it was raining heavily & the water was muddy. Boat ride is also there. There is a seperate swimming pool for children. I didn't take bath as I've no company. It is an important tourist spot of Kanniyakumari dist. & lots of people visit this falls. Bye for now.
    Merry X'mas & H'py hols.
    Regards.:cheers
    chitra.:)

6. Chitra29

HI ILites,
    Next I would like to tell u about Pechiparai dam
    The Pechiparai Dam, located in the village of pechiparai is 56 km away from Kanyakumari. The dam, built on the Kodayan River was constructed in the year 1906.

About 43 km. from Nagercoil this dam has been constructed. This dam is in Kalkulam Taluk, was built during the days of the Maharaja Sri Moolam Thirunal across the river Kodayar. The construction of the dam was designed on the pattern of the Periyar dam in the Madurai district. The length of the dam is 425.1 mts. It has a catchment area of 204.8 sq.km. There is a camp shed provided at the dam side for the visitors. The weather is very pleasant and hence attracts a large number of tourists.

The reservoir is surrounded by dense forests which are famous for their valuable trees and rich wild life such as tiger, elephants, deer etc. A hill tribe, small in number known as ‘Kanikars’ dwell in the dense forests around the lake .It is a nice place to mingle with the mother nature.

The Dam with boating facility is a perfect place for picnic and excursions. The journey from Kanyakumari to Pechiparai Dam is a memorable experience. This dam is also near kulasekaram. Rubber plantations are there on both sides of the road.Even on sunny day the sunlight never falls on the land because of thick foliage of rubber trees lining the road. The reservoir is surrounded by thick forest. It is away from the main town & only small teashops are there.
    Bye bye! Happy holidays & Happy New year.
    :cheers
    chitra

7. leenatitu

leenatitu Bronze IL'ite

tks for sharing ur experience with us.

Leena

8. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI...
    very interesting thanks for sharing..

9. Chitra29

Hi ILites,
    Here we are going to Neyyar Dam near Trivandrum.It is 30km away from Trivandrum. Actually my daughter planned to visit this place along with her friends. But due to some reasons they couldn't come over here to my place. So as planned myself & my daughter made a trip to NEYYAR DAM in July 2007. Very nice place! Here is a link which has beautiful photoes of Neyyar dam.
    Neyyar Dam pictures from india photos on webshots
    It is situated at 30km east of Thiruvananthapuram, at the foot of western ghats. It was established in 1958. It is occupying the basin of the rivers Neyyar, Mullayar and Kallar. This popular picnic spot has a watch tower, crocodile farm, lion safari park and deer park. The 128sqkm Neyyar sanctuary occupies a beautiful wooded and hilly landscape, dominated by the peak of Agasthya malai. Wild life includes gaur, sloth bear, Nilgiri Tahr, jungle cat and Nilgiri langur but most commonly seen animals are wild elephants and sambar deer. Boating facilities are available at the reservoir. Regards.
    chitra

10. Chitra29

Hi :)
    How'r u? This time I'm going to tell u about a temple dates back to 2AD.
    I came to know about this place thro' Kerala Tourism information from net. The temple is a Rock cut cave temple locally called 'Guha Temple'. This cave temple is at Vizhinjam port about 10 km from Trivandrum. So we decided to visit the place and on Wednesday we made it. We've gone to Vizhinjam Aquarium 3 or four times but nobody told us there is a rock cut temple nearby. On that day also we found the place with great difficulty & even nearby shop owner doen't know its existence.
    finally we found out that place & it is a big rock. it is a protected monument & it is under ASI. A caretaker was there. he told us only travellars from other countries used to visit that place. It is a Granite rock.On the outer wall in the front on the left we could see Lord shiva sculpture. on right shiva with parvathy is seen. But Parvathy is unfinished.The deity is "Vinandhara Dakshinamoorthi".It belongs to chola style. I'll post the pictures later.
    Regards.:cheers
    chitra.