Continental food in India (restaurants)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by CrayoNess, Dec 18, 2014.

1. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Kind of silly question but what does it mean when a restaurant states that the menu has continental food (multicuisine)? Planning my vacation in Feb and my family will join me and was looking through the food options/restaurants in the area where we will stay.

2. CrayoNess

I know what multicuisine stands for and also the generic meaning of continental (originally the term used by the brittish for the weird stuff that was eaten in the european continent :D). But then I started to think is the term "continental" having some other meaning in this context.

Should stop fussing. When I travel by myself I do not care so much but now when my daughter, her kid and my son joining I am trying to make everything perfect :p.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

My experience is that continental is Indianized versions of Western cooking. I have never experienced what I would call true haute cuisine in India. Sometimes it is delightful, sometimes you wonder what the chef was thinking.

1 person likes this.
  4. CrayoNess

I think my daughter and the kids will be fine with basic stuff as long it is not spicy. My son was with me last winter and he lived on noodles and chicken nuggets, toasts and similar stuff but he did not complain. Part of the time we will stay in apartment and then I can cook for them. My daughter is pregnant so let's see how she will react. She should though be over the worst nausea phase at that time.

5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

In Delhi I bought from some store called (something like) Chick'n Shop. They had real bacon, hot dogs, sausage, chicken nuggets and sealed packs of raw chicken, pork, etc. Also sealed micro packs of meals. I mention in case you see some place like this as you can get Western ingredients in shops like this.

7. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

"Continental" food is very much as defined by the individual restaurants.

I have seen occasions of some restaurants trying to serve multi-cuisine breakfasts, some just local (I believe they assume their country is anyway part of the continent).

One Tip: A friend of mine with kids, don't restrict kids on any healthy snack during travel, so kids get their tummy full, whether they like the "meals" they are getting served or not. I kind of like her approach. The kids could rather survive on muffins, biscuits and oranges than just force feeding them unaccustomed food during travel.
    As long as it is light on their tummy and keep their energy level up, I think it is Ok too.

8. CrayoNess

Yes, during vacation/travel you need to relax a bit. As long as they get enough of energy to keep going that is enough. When you are back home you can get back to your routines.

My concern is the food safety. You have about 50% risk to get a stomach bug (diarrhea) and with kids that can be dangerous. Last time when my son was with me we had a very rigid routine with hand washing and we took probiotics, used bottled water only. We were maybe too rigid as we avoided fresh fruits totally, unpeeled fruit (that you peel yourselves) should be OK.

9. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

The answer to this lies in your own post on your thread 'culture shock India' that mocked our dietary needs.

Double standards, eh?

P.S - Why take such a great risk against your health by visiting India if there is a '50%' chance of getting a stomach bug? Better call off the trip.:coffee

10. CrayoNess

My daughter and the children will not attend a business dinner as guests. We are going there for vacation. They are easy goers with the food but they will not eat anything too spicy. It is a complete different set up if you are invited to a business dinner hosted by a business partner.