Beach resort in Karnataka/Maharastra/Kerala

Discussion in 'Travel' started by CrayoNess, Nov 27, 2014.

1. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I will visit India in Feb and I will have a week vacation together with my daughter, granddaughter and son. We will be a few days in Mumbai but then the plan is to head off for some beach place for the rest of the week. I have something against Goa (too western, may be wrong) so trying to find something else. As we have only about five days would not like to spend too much on travel. Have been looking at Kerala (eg Varkala beach area), Karnataka (Karwar or Mangalore), Alibag (Maharastra) could be an option but was there last year.

Karnataka would be a good option as we could go there by train (an experience for us). Varkala looked nice but first flights to Trivandrum and then quite a long drive.

We are mostly looking for a clean beach, relaxed environment, quite close to a train station/airport. Any good hints?

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

When I was in the Karwar area years ago we were detoured as it is a naval station and they have security (that is my understanding). We were in that area in June and it was insect laden, moss laden, humidity laden.....we kept going.

If it was my plan, I would take the train down to Cochin, then do the back waters down to Kovalam or Varkala and then fly back. If you are going FinnAir they probably don't have flights from Trivandrum.

I am hearing from friends in India that Russian mafia has purchased lot of places in Goa area.

3. CrayoNess

I visited Cochin a couple of years ago. The train ride would be too long but flying is of course an option as the airport is closed. The problem was that the beach was not good. As we have only five days I would like to stay in one place especially as we have two children (6 and 10 years old) with us. We have the flights back from Mumbai (as this is part of my business trip).

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I stayed in a beautiful beach resort near Trivandrum a couple of years back. It was the Kerala Tourism's resort. I loved it. Varkala was too crowded but this place had been better handled. The beach was quite a walk away though. Feb is a nice time to visit kerala. No rains and not too hot but possibly already getting warm and humid. Here is a link to the place I stayed at - Spa resorts,Ayurveda resorts,The travancore heritage
    I loved the stay and the food. I was there with my then 10yo and 8 months old and both enjoyed. I loved the privacy the place offered.
    I didnt do the Ayurveda massages though. I come from a place where we have authentic ancient Ayurveda places and I didn't feel the need to get it done in Trivandrum. Not sure how good that is.

Hth,
    L

1 person likes this.
  5. CrayoNess

Thank you for the tip, will look into it. How was the beach? About the food, are there any non-indian food options available?

6. JigsSM

JigsSM Silver IL'ite

7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I liked the beach. My DH felt it was not GOA like. Wrt food, my older one found a few non Indian stuff on the menu but not much else. They do have buffets for breakfast with a lot of varieties. My daughter found non indian food to eat there. The live dosa/egg counter was where they indulged her by making something pancake like. She was happy. DH and I are primarily the Kerala cuisine. Veggie food that I had was ok but DH raved about the fish and chicken dishes. We wanted regular spices but I saw people asking for reduced spices.

8. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

You can fly down to Trivandrum and take the train to Varkala. It's barely a 30 minute train ride. The beach there is amazing, and I know that because I have family there and visit every time I go to India.

Kovalam beach is another option - again about a 45 minute drive from Trivandrum

9. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Anybody have gone for some summer vacation recently??? Please share ur plans.

10. LauraShellshea

LauraShellshea New IL'ite

Last time when i visit Karnataka i stayed in Paradise Isle Beach Resort, it's really great. Their hospitality and food was awesome.