Our trip to kenya's Game reserve forest Masai Mara

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ChiDar, Apr 20, 2008.

1. ChiDar

ChiDar New IL'ite

Hi friends,

We're staying in tanzania, an east african country. We made a trip to Kenya's famous game reserve masai maara during easter holidays this year. Thought i wud share it with all the ladies here. It was truly a memorable trip for us.

Our group included my own family of 4 (me, huusband and 2 daughters) and one more indian family of 3 members.. Our trip was arrange thru atravel agency.. thats the easiest way to travel abroad.. since we don't have to arrange anything in the trip.. :goodidea:

From Dar international airport, Julius Nyere international airport, we took a flight to Nairobi, the capital city of kenya. There we were met by our guide Mr. Ahmed. we took a van ride to the resort we were to stay, Mara serena. This van ride took almost 6 hours..ooops.. that was tough.. and the roads wsere very baadddd.. But even if we all were exhausted by the long travel, the wild and raw beauty of the place took our breath away.. This is once in a life time trip..

Let me give a brief description abt the place : This place masai maara gets its name from the masai tribals living there and the river mara which flows thru tanzania and kenya. Its a vast game reaserve park which extends in 2 countries, tanzania and kenya. In Tanzania it is called Serengetti game reaserve and kenya its masai mara.
    This place is where the Great wild beast migration takes place.. And the climate is very cool. We had to wear jackets 'cos of the cold breeze in the evenings..

Those of you who had watched disney's "The Lion King" animation and its series wud have seen this. And u can really relate to this place.. This place is not the normal jungle type with trees and creepers...... but vast stretches of savanna grass lands which looks like sea of grass.. here and there u can spot trees.. we really wondered why this place doesn't have many trees...

We went on a game drive in the morning and evening for 2 days.. Spotted lots of animals.. The king of the jungle in prides , zebras, giraffes, buffalos, hippos, warthogs, lots n lots of antelopes and impalas(small deers), crested cranes, ostriches, wild african elephant herd, cheetahs, foxes, hyenas ....so many varieties of animals.. It was a feast to our eyes..
    After the wonderful 4 days trip we cameback with such good memories of the place.

The 2 days we spent there seemed like we've reached another world, of serenity, peace and beauty.. , here animals were free, where humans were just another creation of god like them..We all felt at peace..
    U may have heard the phrase "Hakuna Matata" , , it means "No Worries" in swahili..
    In masai maara i felt like saying it... :cool:

I would surely recommend this place to all ...Truly a wonderful experience

Cheers,
    sujithra
    Computer Typing

2. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

picturesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss !!!!

Like to see the place....seems to be loaded with lots of fun !!

Thanks for sharing

3. Revathi

Revathi Senior IL'ite

My kids r great fans of lion king series movies,and we heard about many names in your narration.(thanks to lion king).need pics to show them to my kids.Kenyan coffee is also famous,hope u tasted that.thanks for sharing.:coffee

4. ChiDar

ChiDar New IL'ite

Dear NandhShyam and Revathy,

Thanks for the response...I don't know whether I have the privilege to attach photographs. If yu see the photos, you will definitely take this tour. Kenyan tea is famous and not Kenyan coffee...

Cheers
    Sujithra
    Computer Typing

5. mullai

mullai Senior IL'ite

hi
    yes i agree with u MASAI MARA IS simply wonderful ,been there with friends and family ,will definitely visit once more!
    mullai

6. alpers

alpers Bronze IL'ite

Yes, its a very nice place to visit, but be carefull of tout's and other ppl.

Always stay with the tour and be carefull of your belongings.

Never travel alone.

A worthwhile visit.

Rgds
    Alps

7. ChiDar

ChiDar New IL'ite

Hi Alpers,

Read the concerns u have expressed. But we had absolutely no problem in our travel and game drive. We stayed in the resort Mara Serena, which i wud recommend to everyone, its one of the best.
    They have provided every luxury .. that too in the middle of the savanna, so far from the nearest city.. ..The rooms, food, other facilities everything was at par with any luxury resort..We even got indian food there.. staff were also very polite and ready to help.

We were taken for game drive in the morn and eve for 2-3 hrs by our guide.. Only our group was there in the van.. its a top open van, so we cud take good fotos...
    U don't have to worry abt ur belongings too, since there are no ppl around.. and animals won't take ur things i'm sure.. ha ha..
    I have 2 daughters 5yr old and 1 yr old , had a gud time .. my elder daughter loved seeing the animals she saw in the cartoons only.. And the small one loves to travel.. And she was so excited to see lions she started to call them in her baby language.. we were really scred at that time.. since our guide asked us to keep quite.. but how will she understand.. luckily nothin happened..

yea.. otherwise with kids, travelling is quite difficult..

Those who have already taken this trip plz share their experiences..

cheers,
    sujithra
    Computer Typing

8. hobbes83

hobbes83 Bronze IL'ite

Good write-up. People who have set foot in Africa are lucky!