Sunday market in Pondycherry!

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ArunaRSanthosh, Aug 29, 2012.

1. ArunaRSanthosh

ArunaRSanthosh Platinum IL'ite

Hi Friends

We have planned to go to Pondy in september, after browsing I saw about the sunday market, so planning to go in a week end.Can I Know what all will be sold in that market?
    I also want to what is the MUST thing to get from pondy (Handicrafts or any stuff). As I am going to pondy for the first time I am so so excited.Is 2 days enough for the trip?In some threads they have told about prior permission to go to Auroville?whats that?is that worthy to watch??
    For stay as Shanvy told I have finalised sea side guest house for the stay as its economical.
    Any other places other than the list below is there to see in pondy>???
    1.aurobindo ashram
    2. auroville.
    3. the museums.
    4. Promenade on the beach
    5.Thiruvakkarai is nearby. the temple is very famous. but i have heard there is a wood fossil park also there.
    7. Botanical Gardens
    8.Romain Rolland Library
    9. Sacred Heart Church
    10.Joan of Arc Square
    11. Mana kula vinayagar temple.
    12. the architecuture of certain buildings are worth watching.
    13. if you have kids who like to learn things first hand.. try checking the anglo french textiles..they do havevisiting hours.
    14.villianur temple
    15.mailam murugan temple.
    16. Arika medu is a archaelogical site
    17.The school of perfect sight

The list was from Shanvy mams reply to a thread.

Thanks in advance friends!

2 people like this.

2. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

Almost I visited all places... You opened up the lovely memories.
    Have a nice trip and post the photos for us

1 person likes this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

2 days are not enough but manageable, if you can book your auroville trip beforehand..only if you have an appointment you can go inside the matrimandir, which is worth going in. matrimandir@auroville.org.in

so is the fossil park..

even the panchamukha anjaneyar..

and if you are staying in sea side, the beach, promenade, ashram, temple all are walkable distance..so are satguru, adayar ananda bhavan hotels..sea side has a breakfast option, but the timings did not suit us..

and the sunday flea market..what is sold and what is not sold..you will get a lot of options on pyjamas, t-shirts, skirts, and lot of other items..

handicrafts, paper lights, to essential oil everything in auroville...

1 person likes this.
  4. tnkesaven

tnkesaven Gold IL'ite

Handicraft

The dolls of Pondicherry are the pride of its handicraft industry. The terracotta, papier mache and plaster of paris dolls popularly known as "Puducheri Bommai" are available at handicraft emporia all over the town. The Korai mats woven from a species of grass are also popular with tourists and are available even in small shops

Ashram and Auroville

Ashram and Auroville craftsman make fine marbled silk and hand-dyed fabrics, perfumes, incense sticks, handmade paper, handloom rugs, bedspreads, pottery and various other products which may be bought at the Boutique d' Auroville, Harmonie Boutique, Ashram Exhibition Centre, Aurocreation, AuroTibetan Handicrafts etc.

Textile

Jawaharlal Nehru Street is a best shopping area for textile and other ready-made garments.

Shopping centres

Mahatma Gandhi road & Jawaharlal Nehru streets are the best shopping areas of Pondicherry.

Sunday Market

The Sunday Market s. Merchants from various places markets variety of products like readymade garments, clothes, toys, household items and many more articles. This market is quite famous and perfect for cheaper products. Garments , second –hand books, toys, house holds, CD’s DVD, audio, tapes and used products are generally sold here.The location of Sunday market is the cutting point of Jawaharlal Nehru street and Mahatma Gandhi road.

Jewellery and Silverware

grand bazaar

This is a permanent market located between M.G .road and bharathi street . “Grand bazar” is the main market of Pondicherry for flowers, fruits ,vegetables, fish, spices, groceries and utensils. It is very interesting to browse this daily market ,can enjoy the French flavor that has captivated this town for a long while know

www.gopondicherry.com/index.php?option=com_content..

About 15 kilometers (9.37 miles) from Pondicherry town, the Ousteri Lake is a century-old artificial lake on the Pondicherry-Viluppuram Road. A boat ride on the lake opens up panoramic views of the surrounding greenery framed by a clear blue sky. Soak up the tranquil beauty of the place and take back some wonderful photographs. Ousteri Lake is also home to a great variety of aquatic species. An internationally acclaimed wetland, the lake also serves as a bird sanctuary. If you fancy bird-watching, pedal boat on the placid waters of the lake and look-out for rare birds such as Spoonbills, Ibises and Storks to name a few.

This age-old manmade water body was put to good use by the French, by connecting it to a system of canals. The verdant crops fringing the lake make it a truly picturesque locale. In times gone by, Ousteri was one of the biggest lakes in the state and a major supplier of drinking water. Today, it is open to nature lovers who come here to enjoy boating and birding. In the winter season, the lake gets an array of migratory birds. Best time to enjoy the beauty of the lake and spot some exotic birds is between October and March. To arrive at this site, you can take a state bus.

Sri Prithyangara Devi temple

Viswaroopa Sri Prithyangara Devi temple in the Pondicherry-Tindivanam route at about 5 kms from Pondicherry at a place called Morattandi. About 2-3 kms after the JIPMER hospital, you have to take a right turn and go further in village road for about 2 km. There are autos available at this junction also. The sudai sculpture of Prithyangara Devi is about 40 feet high and is visible from a km itself. Under this sudai sculpture is present the main temple. The temple entrance is completely covered up with sudai sculptures on both sides and you have to enter the temple through a narrow gate

navagraha temple

Vinayahar with his consorts welcome us. The main deity Saniswara Bhagwan is about 27 feet tall and each Navagraha idol is 15 feet tall. There was also a huge vinayahar (under construction), a Vasthu Bhagwan, Lord Shiva as Kalyana Sundareswarar.

4 people like this.
  5. ArunaRSanthosh

nijasav

Hoping for a nice trip, sure will upload the pics :)

6. ArunaRSanthosh

Shanvy

Thank you so much for the fast reply.I am just eager to know what is matirmandir??have u gone there?

7. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

very informative... thanks for sharing...

8. ArunaRSanthosh

tnkesaven

Thank you so much for the elaborative reply.Thanks for mentioning abt the devi temple and navagraha temple.
    The link you have sent is not opening. As you are residing in pondy, can you suggest me about good vegetarian restaurants in pondy.
    I am sure to get a puducherry bommai.

9. harinikanthi

harinikanthi Silver IL'ite

hi, in sunday market u can get anything and everything. i bought kurtis , tops, skirts, bedspreads . they are nice and cheap also. have a nice trip.

1 person likes this.
  10. ArunaRSanthosh