Places to visit in and around chennai

Discussion in 'Travel' started by kv_shyamala, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

:bowdown:bowdown:bowdownShan, amazing... I am out of words.. So much infor... Thanks a bunch !! Bear hug to you !! :):)

A big thanks to all contributors.. So nice of you to give detailed information

Shan/Viji,

Did you get a chance to visit the ambal? how was your experience, please do share any infor..

Wow.. Shan.. me too.. Just get to know about anna this year.. My inlaws have been theevira followers for past 10 years or so. Avarooda programs paarkuren ippo jaya tv la :)

2. rgramachandran

rgramachandran New IL'ite

You people - all crossed above 100 - only think you discuss is TEMPLES - don't u have any other thing?

say some thing in and around chennai for children like me to enjoy

RGR

3. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

HI Shanthi,

Here I am for a help about Pitchavaram.

Is it possible to visit on a day trip from chennai? Heard there are some boating, unusual species etc. What else there to see? Pls share yr ideas.

Thanks so much.

4. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Hi Shanthi or any chennai ILites,

Any of you been to Pichavaram and pls do share yr opinions; have a look at my above queries too.

Waiting for all yr inputs.

Thanks.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Ami,
    sorry for the late reply.
    You can definitely complete pitchavaram in a day. It takes approximately about 5 hours (sometimes a little lesser) by car. it is around 200-220 kms from chennai and i would suggest take the ECR road and it is a pleasure.

chennai-ecrroad-pondicherry-cuddalore-chidambaram(pitchavaram)

yes there is boating and a photographers delight at that going through the mangrove forests. there are lots of birds. (boating opened from 8.00 to 5.30 in the evening.)

If you are taking the kids for the first time, you could make it a 2/3 day trip with pondicherry and chidambaram and also have a darshan of the hayagrivar at the thiruvendipuram.

6. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot, Shanthi. I have already guessed that you guys must be all busy due to the long holidays you've been enjoying now, isnt it??

Anyways, would like to know if Adyar ashtalakshmi temple and Jaganath temple are closer, coz, the latter one has mentioned it is in off mahabalipuram road, kannathur whereas someone has mentioned here it is closer to adyar or thiruvanmiyur. Pls clarify.

In adyar, other than the ashtalakshmi temple and elliots beach, is there any for the kids to enjoy? Still, that aala maram is there?

Thank you so much.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Ami,

V was here. we were in chennai but busy.

Both are not so close. infact jaganath temple is closer to uthandi.(kanathur) you have to go on the route to ecr.before mayajaal..and from uthandi you have directions posted. check out the skandashramam in selaiyur if you have not been, nice experience.

the aalamaram is no more. will your kids enjoy the children's park in adyar. mine used to love it when they were kids. lots of greenery. with the weather not so stifling, you can pack a picnic and take them.

8. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks, Shanthi..just now, looked at the skandashramam and am so surprised to see that they have a proper site too. The temple seems to be quite nice. Have you been there?

I just want to take my kids to both temple & some entertaining place so that they dont whine. If it is jagannath temple, what are the kids entertainment there? And, how about mayajaal(is there any other than theatres), never been there. Will it be really entertaining or do we have to go in a group for the kids to enjoy?

where is the children's park in adyar, is it a standard park which has some swings, slides etc.? sorry to pester you with questions. since none has any sites, tough to find out more information as my parents does not have any clue. Totally stuck!!

Thank you again.

p.s.: have you been to the new raghavendra temple and looked at the newspaper. Seems to be so nice.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

ami,

have been skandashramam. it is really nice place to visit.

the adyar children's park has some play swings . basically it is a mini zoo and you have a small snake/crocodile park near.

jaganath temple, crocodile park, muthukadu (water sports) on the same day so that the kids don't feel left out.

i am very poor at the movie theatres..mayajaal is completely entertaining with games, food and everything for the kids as long as your purse is full.:hide:

10. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks so much. Just one last query-can I cover jagannath temple, Dakshin chitra & mahabalipuram in one shot ? Are they all nearer to ECR road, right? If yes, is it ok to travel during morning time before the sun comes starting from the beach, dakshin & the temple ?

Regards.