Visiting Goa in June

Discussion in 'Travel' started by simrose, May 30, 2011.

1. simrose

simrose Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    I'm planning to visit Goa during the 3rd week of June. I wanted expert suggestions here:

1. June being monsoon time, with the reviews I read it's mixture of good and bad. Yes, I want to go and play in the beach! Is it possible during that time. I personally thing June is the right time to enjoy in the beach as it won't be crowded. However, I also read that the beach shacks will be closed. In case they are closed, where can we find such items for same price.

2. Good place to stay. I'm looking for reasonable, economical accommodation where it would be safe for girls to stay. Home stay also will do if they are affordable. particularly looking for a relaxing accommodation. Goa is a place filled with resorts and hotels where it's really difficult to choose one among the rest.

3. Places to see around. We don't expect too much of travel. Just need a relaxing break from the hustle bustle of daily routine.

4. Place to have good food. Heard sea-food is in scarce during rainy season. Expecting good non-vegetarian food. It would be great if we can get sea-food for reasonable price.

5. Train service to Goa from Bangalore. All I get to know is there's a Friday train which comes from Chennai. We are planning to go on a Thursday! Else the option we have is KSRTC bus.

6. Hiring a bike in Goa. Where and what is the procedure to hire a bike in Goa.

7. Anything else you would suggest while at Goa.

2. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Simrose,

Goa is June is considered off-season, and so you can get lots of discounts on stays etc. But the flip side is that it rains like crazy from first week of June, so no sunshine and no lazing on beaches. That's why its off-season. In fact beaches have a warning against swimmers, as there are undercurrents in water in momsoon, which tourists often ignore in their wish to swim in the sea, with result being unfortunate deaths by drowning every year.

I stayed three years in Goa, but quite some years ago. So Goa must have changed in this time. Although then South Goa used to have less croud than North Goa, which was typically hippie crowd

Home stays are good, so are hotels, so check with travel agents/websites for reviews and good deals.

3. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

HI Simrose:

1. Monsoon in Goa - it rains like crazy. You can barely go out. I was in Goa in July and it rained incessantly. We didn't consider going to the beaches at all. Beaches will be out of bounds, you cannot swim since the sea is pretty rough.

2. Accomodation - it depends on where you want to be. In Panjim, there are hotels like Fidalgo( central Panjim), O' Pescador and Prainha which should be relatively safe. The last two are in Dona Paula area of Panjim. I have always stayed in Panjim, so I have no idea about hotels close to beaches.

3. Apart from the beaches, there is old Goa where you could check out the temples and churches. In north Goa, there is a lovely lake - Mayem. If you are keen on birdwatching - Mayem, Carambolim lake and Zuari river are good options. There is also Chorao island on Mandovi river which houses the Salim Ali bird sanctuary.

The beaches in south Goa are less crowded and more beautiful - though I'm not sure how much of the beach you can enjoy in monsoon. In Panjim, there is the Latin quarter, St. Inez church, few museums that you can visit and Dona Paula. Interested in art and culture- Kala academy in Panjim has varied programmes most of the year.

Shopping - Goa state handicraft emporia - Aparant has local stuff. That apart there are flea markets - mostly north Goa - Calangute area and then every area of Goa has souvenir shops.

4. Since I am vegetarian, have no clue about sea food. But have heard a lot about Souza Lobo in Calangute. Supposedly has good food.

5. Have always driven down to Goa, knowledge about trains is limited. All I know is that the train stops at Vasco (south Goa) from where most touristy areas with hotels are an hour away. Heard about Panjim being connected by train but that is a project whose completion is far far away from June 2011!!

6. Hiring a bike is a great way to explore Goa. You need a driver's licence and PAN card for hiring. There is a deposit that you have to make based on the kind of bike. These bikes are available everywhere - you just need to look around / ask for them. I had hired a scooty for a couple of days - cannot remember the cost! There are also bike taxi (if you can call them that) but not sure how safe they are for lady travellers.

7. Check out local desserts and pastries if you have a sweet tooth, buy cashew locally in the markets, try the river cruise, lacework is supposed to be very good here though haven't had the chance to check it out - Madgoa /Vasco might be 'the' place for it. A friend of mine was delighted to visit Mario Miranda's (Goa's famous cartoonist) house. Also, if you are keen on fashion - Wendell Rodericks showcases his collection in Campal in Panjim.

If you are a keen reader, Reading Habit is a bookstore near Miramar beach, panjim that you could check out. If you like chinese, there is a great chinese place - Goen Chen in Panjim that you wouldn't want to miss.

Also, I am sure there is loads to do in both north /south Goa - but most of my explorations have been restricted to Panjim as a single traveller.

Hope this helps.

Sindhu

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  4. swarna1388

swarna1388 Silver IL'ite

5. itzgayathri

itzgayathri Junior IL'ite

hi as all our friends suggested goa is little itzy bitsy during june to august. Anyways no sweats
    since u r going ofr a relaxing u can still enjoy it. enjoy the night life...u can get more detailed version of goa planningi n indiamike.com
    Here are few accommodation available.i myself have booked in angela guest house. Not gone previously. Going to go by aug 15.
    check out this link
    Goa Accommodation list,@Rs.500/- per day - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com
    happy holidays

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011
    malis123 likes this.