Share Your Dad’s Best Memory - June 2012

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by IL_Admin, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IL_Admin

IL_Admin Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear IL-ites,

June brings the Father’s Day, a day that most daughters await all year.:)

The contest for the month of June 2012:

Share Your Dad’s Best Memory

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    To celebrate this occasion, share a memory that made you feel proud of your father. Tell us why and what made you feel proud of being a daughter of your loving dad.

The best post will win a great prize !

Points to be noted:

• An IL-ite can post only ONE entry.
    • Entries should be posted only in this thread for it to qualify for the contest.
    • Entry for the contest should not exceed 1000 words.
    • Strictly NO COPY PASTING articles from other sites / magazines.
    • Interesting write-up will be selected by the panel of Judges for a Special gift.
    • The contest ends on 25th, June 2012.
    PS: Any questions about participation in the contest, do post it here in this thread and we will respond to it.

5 people like this.

2. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

There is not just one incident where I am proud of my Dad, my DH tells me he loves the way I talk about my Dad.

I've learnt a lot from him, we are 4 sisters and a brother and never has he expressed any displeasure at having 4 daughters though relatives or even my Mom sometimes says they wish we were guys. Infact, he has given us all of the best things he can. That brings tears to my eyes, and I love him for that. :hatsoff

I love it when he smiles, and love it all the more if it is because of me. I like the way he helps my Mom around by washing clothes, cooking and cleaning. And I also like it when my paternal grandmother boasts about all he does for her.

He had recently learnt to use computers and internet on his own with little help from us, and I'm very proud of that. It is fun to see him struggle searching keys on the keyboard or moving the mouse. :)

I also admire him for being strong and never letting any of his daughter's Inlaws feel proud of having a son and giving into their demands. That has definitely helped us be better.

And how can I forget how he struggled to complete his education being from a poor family then and is with his first job till now. I am surprised when I see his whole village know about our visit and recognize us calling out 'Aren't you Babu's child?' and smiling. The respect I see for him makes me beam with pride. :biggrin2:

He is so shy to wish someone on their anniversaries or birthdays, and I find it so amusing. Whenever I visit home now after marriage, I find him growing old and somewhat weak. But his image of a superhero is intact in my heart. I hope I am always there for him to make him happy and smile.

I agree he might have some limitations, but as I have grown up, I have only learnt patience, hardwork and love from him. And I'm proud of everything he has instilled in me that made me what I am. :thankyou2:

I wish you a very happy father's day Papa. You rock !! :thumbsup

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
    7 people like this.
  3. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

well, when one half of life is contributed by someone, there is nothing more to be spoken about that someone.

but If there is one other thing that i must choose out of the multitudes of reasons that make me proud of my dad, then it will be this.

He has taught me to forgive. He has taught me to let go. He has shown me the way to peace. And he continues to do so.

I must admit, I am not a good student, far from that - infact. but, yet he has at least managed to set me on the right path.

I thank God for giving me the right person to guide me. I hope someday, I am at least a fraction as large hearted as he is.

Thank you Appa.

2 people like this.
  4. priyaprem

priyaprem Bronze IL'ite

Oh..........God.......This Thread at this time proves that MY DAD IS STILL WITH ME.....And GOD has ansewered my prayers indeed.....Where should I start? What should I tell? How can I tell? 1000 words...mere 1000 words.....??

I lost my DAD last year on May 22nd.....!!! He was a Pious,very knowledgeble,witty,and Highly intelligent, and a Sanskrit Scholar.....Haannnn....He was a successful Advocate Too......My memories go as far as when i was at the age of 4..when i came running from playing and jumped on him while he was sitting and reading news paper...in the hall...on my jumping.....the news paper torn into pieces and his specs went flying......My dad, just took me down from his lap and gathered his glasses, folded the paper...and made me to sit on his lap again and hugged me asking for what I was so happy....?(I was literally expecting him to scold and his behaviour at that time literally made a mark on my mind and heart which never left even this moment....) Fine, there were so many proud moments of my DAD but none which i witnessed or had an opportunity to share .... May be GOD decided to wait for such a long time I MEAN TILL HIS DEATH( should I say ..?)for me to witness or hear in person about my DAD or FEEL REALLY PROUD of my Dad?

Yes, on his last Day when we were sitting around him and crying, 10-20 crowd of people (men,women, even childern,) came running with tears in their eyes ans a big garland of rose in their arms crying out aloud..."Sami engalai vittutu poitiya...? Enga Deivame.....naanga enna seivom apdeenu..? I just looked at them with a blank look and crying even more profusely.....and at that time i heard some one saying...."You know who these people were? These were "Dalit people" for whom Srirsylan (My dad) won that Chruch case....!!! I just heard it and left that...as I was no mood......on hearing.....But an old man from that crowd came nearing me asking whether I was My Father's daughter? I just noded...the next moment held both of my hands and kept on his eyes and started crying more......and amidst of his cry he said that My dad had won a case which was there in the court for 30yrs (on their behalf)......and the case was that :- There was a some 3 acre of land which belonged to the village community and they decided to build a church in that place but due to the road expansion by the govt they were forced to stop the idea but the village filed a case against government that they needed that land for building a church with a small school for their village and My dad took up the case and won the case for them...(They don't have any church for the village and the villagers being pre-dominantly of christians)...The Villagers not only built the church but honoured my DAD on the innaguartion Day and also even hung his Big size Photo inside the church ...!!!!

You might all wonder what is a big deal in all these...? I forgot to tell you that MY DAD was an orthodox Iyengar who always wears a "Panchakatcham",with a "Kudumi", and you could never see him without a "THIRUMAN" and did "AAradhana for Saligramams" everyday and follow every rituals and led a life doing atleast 95% justice according to Shastras.......

I never knew that my DAD's other side by all these years...for me Having His Photo inside a Church hall is the highest honour that could be given to any ordinary man...particularly in a village where only people who are considered "so called" untouchables lived........and that too where we could still see and hear fights between two castes , two religions etc etc....................My whole family was taken by surprise by their saying and started looking the "REAL HUMAN" Inside my DAD who proved the whole gathering on that day who and what's a REAL HUMAN OR HUMANITY called as...!!!

Hats off APPA!!!! I Miss u......!!

(I thought of starting a thread y'day to get suggestions from il'tes on "HOW TO COPE-UP WITH GRIEF'???) Instead GOD made me to share about MY DAD himself rather than the grief)..

Thank IL'TEAM for the opportunity..........!!!

Tearfully.............................

8 people like this.
  5. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

very nice topic, apt for Fathers day. will come with my writing soon.

6. Onesweetlife

Onesweetlife Gold IL'ite

Hi ilites.

Thanks to indusladies for providing this oppurtunity. I wanna thank my Dad through this.

Love you daddy.

Yes you are my dad though am not born to you and mom.
    You borne me in heart .

You are such a nice person to adopt your Brother in law's daughter.
    You loved her so much as if she was your world.
    You loved her more than her own father

You showed her what world is.
    You taught her what simplicity is .
    You always took pride on your ward.
    Always stood for her.
    Always safe guarded her.

You were always nice to her, though at times she was wrong.
    Always accompanied her to school to ensure she has reached safely.
    Even on the days you werent well, you used to accompany her till she boards the bus.

Being a teacher with a humble income, you tried to
    cater all her needs and ful fill her wishes
    You gave her a happiest childhood

You made her shine in academics
    She had tried her best to hold your name high.

She is actually blessed... extra ordinarily blessed to get a father like you.

Now mom is no more, you still prefer to live alone,with her memories in the house she lived.

We visit you often, even today you give money to my daughter but never accept anything from us.

You gave me good education,moral values and loads of love.
    You expect nothing out of us except love!

What I am today is because of you..
    Now your daughter has a little daugher and you are again ready to bring her up.
    Wondering at your unconditional love dad.

Love you dad.
    Today being your birthday, i pray the almighty to bless you with good health and peaceful life ahead.

I wish i could have ever remained as a little girl clinging to you.
    My list of sharing wonderful moments with you is endless.
    Every bits and pieces of time spent with you is precious.

I wish i were able to freeze those wonderful moments with you dad.
    From the day my pregnancy got confirmed,all i demanded
    from my husband was to be a father like you to our kid ..

Tears roll out when i write this .....

You are a treasure in my life.
    Love you so much dad.
    Ever your loving daughter.

Once again i thank indusladies for this forum.
    Today is my dad's birthday , i take this opportunity to wish him good health and a peaceful life

(Sincere Apologies for my not so good writing skills.)

Cheers
    Sweetlife

6 people like this.
  7. ammchakanand

ammchakanand New IL'ite

i love my dad very much he is the best person in the world

1 person likes this.
  8. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

First of all Thanks for 1000words limit IL_Admin. Will come back with my post.

1 person likes this.
  9. arokini

arokini Senior IL'ite

The time when I am writing this post, is one of the crucial period in my life.
    My dad, the owner of second half of my name Joseph is a very strict person. He is very aggressive type and so much orthodox. I have not stepped into any cinema theatres in my 27 years nor have gone for any excursion trips in my school or have gone out with my frens. My dad never showed his love to me by giving gifts or taking us outside or buying wht we like. I used to hate my dad for that. The most happiest moments with my dad… it could be counted in hands..
    The story of my birth itself is a god’s will. After long year prayers my sister was born when my dad’s age was 39. After tht my parents thought no kid. But by God’s miracle, a mischievous gal(thts me) was born on September eighth. (birthday of mother mary). So my dad thought me as a gift from god and named me as Arokini.
    I completed my schooling in St. Dominics Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School.. Was above average student. My dad has a peculiar habit.. The day when the report card is given with the promotion from one class to another, he will put half day leave to his office, come to my school, take the report card from me and will check to see my promotion. After that he will take me to Arun ice cream shop and buy me a small size vanilla flavor. This habit followed for 11 years.
    The twelfth year.. Gosh.. Arokini is in twelfth standard. Since no report card will be given for twelfth standard I thought the end of ice creams and the year long rituals. But when the result came, I had to double check my number cos I became first in my school with centum in maths. My dad double checked my registration number... I was called from my school for receiving the cup and a certificate. My dad dropped me in school which was a big function presided by The Anglo Indian MLA. I thought my dad will be present to see me getting the cup. But he told he has an important work and left. I felt devastated tht my dad is not present in my precious moment of my life. I collected the cup and the certificate and I came out of the grounds. I saw my dad sitting near the exit gate. As soon as I saw him, I ran to him with cup in one hand and certificate in another (the same scene which comes in health drinks add when a mom hug the child and I was certainly expecting a hug from my dad). And then to everyone surprise my dad started shouting. “ Amma odi varatha.. kella vilunthuduva… “All persons around me were shocked at my dad scream as a person shouting at a big girl who came school first. Then he took me to Arun Ice Cream shop and he bought me the same vanilla flavor (Big Size) . Till this time I did not go to that shop after that. Then I went home and slept. After I woke up I found my cup filled with perks , five star and kit kat and gems. I was so surprised tht my dad has way to show love.
    Now I am in IT field, a Team lead in 5 years and sitting in the chair as lead, I go thro the old times with my dad. He has not called me by my name. He has called me Amma only. In that school final year, he was not a least bothered about the gift nor the certificate. The thing tht matters are only his daughter safety.
    Now the crucial period, i am in love and waiting for my dad’s decision. I am ready to follow my dad’s decision cos I know it would hurt myself and the guy I love.. But then.. ‘He is my dad and I still love him cos I understood his love for me’ .

9 people like this.
  10. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

My dad was a Government servant and we lived in a small Housing board home, I was 7 or 8 then. My dad used to go by bicycle to his work. He wished to own a 2-wheeler for a long time and he applied for a loan in his office. His colleague [Mr. B], who was in the same grade as my dad, too applied for the 2-wheeler loan. Both waited eagerly and finally Mr.B's loan was sanctioned while my dad's was rejected. Mr. B has to go to his native that day, so he handed over all the loan documents to my dad to keep it safe till he returns back the next day.

My dad had the documents in a plastic cover and kept in his cycle back carrier when he rode home. When he reached home the cover was missing. It would have slipped on the way. My dad was very shocked. First thing for losing those documents and Mr. B may not be able to get the 2-wheeler he wished; Second, he might think that my dad did it intentionally out of jealousy as his loan was rejected. It was already dark when my dad reached home, but he started out immediately in search for the document. It was nearly 8 kilometers to work, he came around midnight and said he couldn't find the bag. I was awake too when my dad felt so bad about his carelessness and worried a lot about Mr. B.

The next day my dad got ready to work with a very sad face not knowing how he will convey the news to Mr. B. Evening he came back and said he did convey the news and Mr. B didn't take it so good. My dad decided to help Mr. B financially to get the 2-wheeler. With 2 kids at home, and he being a sole bread winner, my mom was so shocked to hear this. But my dad wanted to do it because he believed that he should take the responsibility for this loss.

3rd day after this incident, my dad's office received a courier with the document and a letter. Some good person, who found the documents in the street, found the address from the papers and posted it to the office. My dad was so relieved and he came home with a happy face. I still remember that 3 days pain he went through and that bright face when the crisis ended. Luckily there was a return address in the post; my dad took me and my bro in bicycle to his home. He gave some sweets to that person and thanked him for his gesture.

I don't understand much about money or whether we would have been able to afford a 2-wheeler that too for somebody else, but my dad's honesty highlighted with this incident. Till date, he is the same person. He never talk ill of others. He is such a gem of a person. He can't stand anybody treating us badly. Even if the school teachers scolding us, or giving us lots of homework, he would come to the school next day and complaint.

After marriage, when he visited our home once, I was washing the vessels in the backyard. Then I carried all the vessels in a big tub into home. It’s a very normal work and all women in the house do it around 6-7 times a day. My dad and many men [including my DH] was sitting in the hall chatting. My dad saw me and came running to get the tub from me. Everybody laughed and mocked my dad. Even my FIL said, 'We don't ask her to do all these, she does it by her own wish'. He didn't feel bad or anything, but went with me to the kitchen and helped me to lay all the vessels.

6 years after retirement he still goes for work. Though I earn, he never accepted anything from me. But if I need anything I can still count on him. He believes he shouldn't be a burden to anybody. He washes his clothes himself, cleans his plate after the meal - a gesture which I never saw in another man in our friends/relatives circle.

The moment I saw the title, the above incidents came to my mind and I wanted to share with you all. Thanks IL_Admin for this opportunity.

20 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.