1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toys for Toddler

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by diana, Jul 28, 2007.

1. diana

diana Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I need advise for my sister's youngest son who is 2.5 yrs old. He is very very mischievous. One needs to atleast tie him up to make him sit at one place, so much mischief he does. He is very restless and has no interest in TV nor anything else. He soon gets tired with his toys too and will end up doing things which he shouldnt be doing.

My sister is unable to do any work when he is awake. If she will give him something to play with, very soon he will get bored and follow her to worry her or make mischief. HE IS A VERY DIFFICULT CHILD TO MANAGE. I have two kids and my sister has a daughter who is six, they all play together, but none worry so much as he.

Friends, can you advise any toys for him, which will keep him busy and also be good for his knowledge and growth. Or any other advise to make him stop his mischiefness.

Any advise.

Diana:-D

2. piu

piu New IL'ite

buy him a baby car that he can drive or at least he can sit and act to drive.
    this type of toy make them interest in 2.5 year old babies.

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Diana,have you heard of the saying 'terrible twos'.This is exactly what it is.

Many people agree that the time between the age of 2 and 3 is the most terrible time for most mothers because the kids are the most mischievious during this time.

Since this is a boy,maybe he will be interested in small toy cars or even building blocks.I have seen almost all boys this age spending a lot of time engrossed in playing with these things.

Maybe your kids and his sister should get him to play with them more.That might help too.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi diana,

Not all kids are the same. some like to sit in a place and play. some are restless. they have too much energy to sit in one place. We term them as hyperactive/difficult child. just imagine a single day if the child is sick and is not doing anything, we will be out of our wits.

So, try methods to chanelise his energy. give him building blocks. the bigger size. dont go for the small ones. you can give him cars, puzzles the non-toxic varieties. these days you get all the characters that you like in the puzzles. u can go for a medium one. not the the 1000 pieces one and all. start with 20 piece, graducally increase. u get vegetables, transport everything in puzzles. he observes learns and works his mind.

Have you tried giving him paper and pencil.(non -toxic) colors washable crayons..... give him books the non-toxic cleanable ones.

We have to try different things to keep them active. my son was hyperactive.

Hope it helps,

love,
    shanthi

sindmani likes this.
  5. diana

diana Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks for all your advise. I have informed my sis about all that is mentioned and she will try to get them as early as possible.

I guess you all are right, kids at this age does get hyper, but i feel it is due to drawing attention and affection towards them.

Thanks again for help.

Diana:)

6. bharatipanda

bharatipanda New IL'ite

hi diana
    i think this is natural for a toddler of his age.they hv very less concentration.
    he must spend his extra energy in outdoorgames.u can take him to a ground for running, cycling like that. so that he ll be more tired.another thing ucan engage him some easy to do household chores like collecting toys,bringing glass of water.another thing u can engage him small activities like tearing papers .give him some waste paper he ll enjoy the sound while tearing.give him little water to pour in a bottle.so that simultaneously both of u enjoy doing the work.:2thumbsup: keep smiling& make him to smile:yes: bye.

hi d

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Mommy must-haves for a one to two year old

Hi mommies, I am not a regular visitor here since our daughter Riya is only 9 months old,but before I know it, I will be visiting this site regularly. So hi to all of you.

My MIL was talking about what to get for Riya for her birthday and I asked her if she would like me to give her some ideas. She was okay with that, and I thought, won't it be a good idea to have a wish list set up for Riya so our friends and relatives can choose from those gifts instead of piling us with more soft toys and blankets. So, what toys or books does your one to two year old like, especially the ones that you like too - you know the mommy-must-haves? Please do share.

Thanks
    Raj

8. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Re: Mommy must-haves for a one to two year old

Raj..Some items that I found very useful for a toddler..

1.Light weight umbrella stroller

2.Touch-feel board books

3. Musical pushable lawn mover

4. Kids friendly dinner set

5.Building Blocks

6.Push-pull toys

7. Rhymes books..book that plays rhymes/others when pages are opened

8. Colourful shape sorter

will come up with more later.

Nice of your MIL to ask you for suggestions.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
    sindmani likes this.
  9. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks Supriya, can you also tell me the brand you like for the push pull toys and the pushable lawn mower?

Yes, it was nice of MIL to be open to my suggestions. We don't have much room for big toys and DH and I believe that you don't have to have all the toys in the world (like the toy manufacturers claim) to make your child brainy or learn new things. So, we want to limit what comes in our house.

Raj

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Some additions to Supriya's list: colourful plate/bowl/spoon/fork set, shoes (maybe a gift card for them for later use as the good ones seem to be very expensive), Leapfrog CDs/DVDs, one of those ride-on toys. Aadhu got plenty of books for his first and really likes them so any number of books, wall charts too if you have the space to put them up in. All I can think of right now - I'm looking fwd to reading the answers though, would love some ideas myself.

Vanathi.

sindmani likes this.