1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Its hot - Sunblock Cream is it really needed?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by lee50, Mar 5, 2010.

1. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I will be travelling to Bangalore and then down south in the hottest month May. I need to know if I should purchase a Sunblock cream for DD who is 10 months now. I just bumped into Banana boat in the medicials and just thought of asking at what age did you opt/ or did not opt for the sunscreen at all. Right now I have only invested in glares for DD. I am not too concerned about the colour part.

Can you please pour your suggestions if it is helpful? Any age recommendations?

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Lyn - I dont do sunblock - not for myself and not for DS. I think staying out of the sun as much as possible between 11 am to 4 pm is far more sensible, but thats JMO.

V.

3. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Vanathi. Same here, even I feel so its best to stay away from the sun.

4. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Hi ,

I live ina place where Summer lasts for only a little time and so U really have to get out during the day. The problem here is not the heat as its not really hot during day and the winds are always cooler but the sunrays have more UVA and UVB rays here and I have seen my daughetr grow very dark just after a day in sun and it sometimes the tan is permanent. Its also there during winter as the sun is bright and reflects off the snow. So to just reduce tanning I started using suntan after she turned two. Thats when she started being too active to sit. Before that she ll just sleep in stroller in shade. I am using one sunscreen from India made by BIotique which has spf over 45 carrot sun protection lotion is the name and its effective. its safer on kids too. I say this because my DD has atopic dermatitis and gets allergic rashes soon in both extreme cold and hot climates and if we use synthetic substances nylon socks and the stuff. But this ahs been really safe on her skin. I use it only when its going to be atotally outdoor day or a day traveeling in car where she can get exposed to light. I do it even in winter if their school is building snowman and the like out in the sun .

Regards,
    CC