1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tips reqd on going for a vacation with LO

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Vinu4me, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

We are planning to go on a vacation in Jan and there is a wedding for which I have to travel in Feb. We will not be staying at any relative's house (all our 2-3 trips in the past year, we stayed at houses of relatives or friends). We are likely to be staying at guest houses and the like.

Pls give me tips on what all I need to take or do during the vacation - in terms of necessities, ideas for food, sterilising feeding bottles, etc, etc.

Awaiting your responses.

Regards,
    P

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

P - It all depends on what your DD eats usually, where she sleeps etc. For us travel wasnt a big problem because DS was eating regular food at that ge (except for toning down the spiciness) and we co-slept. So I used to give him whatever was available - at the very least idli/bread will be there for breakfast and curd rice for lunch. These plus fruits, biscuits, juice, milk would see us through. I only carried water and his sipper for milk; nothing else. We didnt do bottle-feeding at all; so one less thing to worry about. I also carried diapers and small toys/books everywhere for him. Wet wipes and a small multi-purpose blanket will be useful too.

V.

3. Lalitha venkate

Lalitha venkate Senior IL'ite

it all depents on your child, as vanathi said, dont forget take her basic medicines for cold, cough like

4. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Sleeping is not a problem with her. She co-sleeps with us and does not require a cradle/thooli. I will definitely be carrying her medicines with me.

The problem is with her food. I am trying to train her with sippy cups so that I don't have to worry about sterilising but she is not getting used to it. She does not like Idli and prefers dosa to it. But, I am apprehensive about dosa in hotels. I am planning to carry some cerelac with me, but, I also need other alternatives - foods which are nutritious and do not require cooking. She likes fruits and I am planning to keep a supply of it and some biscuits. I am just worried about meal times and the bottle factor. Pls help.

Regards,
    P.

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

No-cook foods - bananas are my top fav - high energy and always hygenic. If you can wash them then apples/oranges/grapes are all good. You can also try flavoured milk/yogurt/fruit juice - all readily available and safe. Dont worry about feeding schedules or quantities while travelliing - it will only make you tense. Just let her eat when she wants to. A few days of eating less wont do any lasting harm.

V.

6. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

We recently got back from a long roadtrip. For the little one, did the following

• Apples
    • Bottled Water
    • Aussie bites (google for the recipe)--this is a high energy baked good
    • Trail mix (kind of a softer chikki with dry fruits, oats, puffed rice...)

We would stop to get her 1 bottle of milk per day.

Also had a small bag of her toys and couple of books to keep her entertained.

7. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I have started her full time on sippy cupsfrom today, keeping the bottles just for the mid-night feed. Hopefully, she will get the hang of it soon. That way it willl get easier.

One more thing - She has Aavin milk. Is it safe to give her any other milk or shall I use formula during the vacation period. She has had Dexolac occassionally before. I used to keep it for the mights earlier.

Regards,
    P

8. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

P, does she like breakfast cereal? If she does, then that plus some milk is nutritious food. Since you can get milk pretty much everywhere this is a no-cook food. When I first came to India with my son I used to carry that and milk in tetra paks everywhere. Bananas are another great food plus do not need to worry about hygiene. I was still bottle feeding at that time so we carried microwave sterilizer bags everywhere and made sure we had access to a microwave.

Not sure if these are available, but if they are instant oatmeal that can be microwaved would also be helpful.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

does the guesthouse have a basic kitchen? The ones we stayed in had a small kitchenette with m/w and a single burner stove. So we took a tawa and a spatula and made a lot of dosas. I would recommend granola and muesli bars, fruit loop/cereals. I also took a lot of fruit juice tetrapacks (DS was never on milk) but Aavin has these 200 ml flavoured milk tetras which keep well in travel.

10. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

P - we took our DD on her first vacation within tamilnadu when she was 1.5years old. till now (she is now 3.5 yrs old), her paed is totally against feeding her milk outside. she says we wouldn't miss anything by not giving DD milk for a few days. and i have been following the same till date. i carry a small electric kettle to boil water, though it isn't great it definitely comes handy sometimes. about solids, she was comfortable with idlis/bread/rotis.. at that age, it was only one of these outside. have fun !