1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Weaning toddler off bottle

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by lakshmy, Jul 7, 2008.

1. lakshmy

lakshmy Senior IL'ite

can you give some ideas!!

Dear friends,
    My son is 3 years old now. he is drinking milk in feeding bottle. i want to stop that. but he is not at all ready. night time he wants more. he has a feeling that if he drinks milk in bottle only he can sleep. in the mid night when he wake up he ask for milk as he wants to sleep. he is so addited to that. if i didn't give to him he will startRant. can you give some ideas for stopping that :idea

2. poonamjoshi9266

poonamjoshi9266 New IL'ite

Re: can you give some ideas!!

Dear Lakshmy,

You can buy some nice colourful or musical cups for him and try once, i think this will help you.

3. lakshmy

lakshmy Senior IL'ite

hi poonam,
    thanks for you reply. i tried that also.... but morning time it is ok for him.... but when he wants to sleep he wants bottle . what to do for that?

4. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI frnd....

i faced the same prob with my daughter... since they are 3yrs old... wht i did was i framed a story myself i told my daughter its not good to drink with bottle keep telling this same story for week time... them make ur kid to throw the bottle in the garbage....

after that in the night u give milk with colorful tumblers..... sure they dont accept immed... but since they throwed the bottle by themself... slowly they will adpat... coz i did the same thing... just a month back only i was able to stop.. now she is well adpated to tumblers...so try this it might work...

5. Priya0425

Priya0425 New IL'ite

Hi
    I had a similar problem with my older son. He refused to give up his night bottle. Finally when he turned 3,I told him that the doctor has said that if he continues the bottle then his front teeth will start coming out and will irritate him. He stopped the bottle that very night and took to the tumbler. Kids understand quite a lot these days.
    Priya

6. lakshmy

lakshmy Senior IL'ite

Dear Vahee,

thank you for your reply.. i will try that idea..... hope it will work

7. lakshmy

lakshmy Senior IL'ite

hi priya,

thanks for your reply.......like you said i want to create a story....let i hope for the best

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

I agree with Shvap too. We saw a tv programme (something like super nanny). That particular episode they showed how they asked the child (3 something) to throw away the bottles in the garbage (you're a big boy now kind of stories). What we realised was if we keep the bottle at home, we ourselves get tempted to give the bottle when the child cries.

Our boy is completely off bottle now. I was struggling on this project for over 3 months and then this program helped me. One fine day i just removed all the bottles and put them in the cellar. My son cried for milk at bed time for a week but it was fine. Once he got off 'i want bottle' mind set he sleeps throught the night, eats well. So think about the advantages. His milk consumption has reduced since he changed from bottle to cup but that's fine. I compensate with yogurt. He drinks anywhere bet 100-200 ml in a day.

First step throw away all the bottles and tell your boy it's all bad and so we had to throw it away. And when you go to supermarket don't take them near the counter where bottles are kept (they're very smart you know... our son insisted that we buy new ones coz the old ones got 'lost').

Do bear with your child's pleads and cries for a while... after all we're doing it for their good:)

Latha

9. lakshmy

lakshmy Senior IL'ite

Hi latha,
    thanks for your information.... I told him to throw away the bottle.... and he thrown away out..... now no probelm... but at sleeping time he will create problem... as you said he will cry for a week that i have to bear... praying god to give me strenght to bear that....

10. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

i know Lakshmy. My boy used to plead with us. My parents are here at the moment and it really broke their heart. But just a week and now even if we give him the bottle he refuses:) wish you all the best...

Latha