1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Treating insect bites

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by tikka, Nov 26, 2008.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

My LO has insect bites all over his feet up to ankles. We have a lot of spiders at home and in the garden, I am guessing it is those and not mosquitoes. There is a distinct bite mark and there is some swelling around it. Some of it is crusted over, others have a boil on top.
    We do put K in full pants and full sleeved shirt (pajamas) for sleep, he does not like having his leg covered bonk. Pulls off the socks bonk He scratches at them all the time and is waking up multiple times in the night. I have changed the sheet and cleaned the bed, and yet. DH who has been sharing bed with K does not have it whereas me and K, while spending a lot of time in the garden have it!
    Will calamine stop the itching?

2. Lalitha venkate

Lalitha venkate Senior IL'ite

hi krithika

v usually apply gingelly oil for insect bite and turmeric for swelling have u tried any of these

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Did you try aloe vera yet? I swear by its medicinal properties for burns, bites, blemishes, itching etc. I have a plant sitting right near the kitchen counter for minor emergencies like these.

Raj

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I go with calamaine - works very well to soothe itching.

V.

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Thanks mommies.
    V, I have put a drop of calamine for the night, hope he does not scratch tonight. I was wondering if it is safe - one of DH's relatives said it is best not to use the Kaline substance even for adults ! The darn rains, it is bringing in all kinds of creepy crawlies.
    Lalitha, I think I will use turmeric if he ends up infecting the damn bites with his scratching, till then I am a little weary because it does burn the skin a bit! Silly, but we dont have gingelly oil at home :rotfl. Just olive oil and rice bran oil. Does the oil act as a barrier (my sheets tho will suffer :))
    Raj, how does one use aloe, do you just break a frond and smear the gooey substance? I am constantly burning myself on the stove:hide:. The citronella we're growing is doing nothing to repel mosquitoes - I wonder if I am going about natural remedies the wrong way.

6. nithya0781

nithya0781 Senior IL'ite

Hi Krithika,

U can use turmeic for itching.Just u mix the turmeric powder with coconut oil and u can apply to the affected areas.This is one of the best natural remedy for itching.
    Regards,
    Nithya.

7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I would strongly recommend you take the child to the doctor/ pediatrician asap please.

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Krithika, don't feel bad about the Citronella, mine does nothing to ward off those pesky bugs either.

As for the Aloe, yes, you just break off a little bit from the mature part of a leaf and apply it. I keep using the same leaf until it's all gone. I, like you, get burns while cooking atleast 4 or 5 times a week and aloe vera saves my skin each time. I even put aloe when I cut my finger while cutting veggies :hide: and then put a band aid on, and I am all set to go.

I agree with AC though, you should take K to the doctor, if you suspect spider bite.

Raj

Raj

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Why is that? Is that an issue, we have had no hives, allergies, fever or anything other reaction with the bites. It is not those poisonous bugs you get in the USA, just domestic spider. It seems a little silly taking him for insect bites.. Or am I being too casual here

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

K - honestly the doc isnt going to do anything different. The bites arent infected right?

V.