1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Flash cards for toddlers/pre-schoolers

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Aadhusmom, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I'm starting this as a separate thread in this forum like I promised Krithika (Tikka). So moms,

1. Do you/did you use them? Did your child like them?
    2. What did you use them for ie. what did you teach with them?
    3. Did you buy them or make them at home?

I was thinking of making some for my son to teach him the alphabet. We are planning to start with the Tamil alphabet first. I was thinking of having the letter in bold on one side and a picture with the name of the object written down underneath it with the first letter highlighted on the back. I'm in the process of hunting out suitable pictures Krithika and will get back here when I'm done. To those who have used flashcards - does this sound good?

I need some suggestions on the prinitng. Would blank business cards be too small? Or else I could print all this out on A4 paper and cut and stick it onto something strong. There again what are the options - chart paper? Cardboard? One website suggested cereal box cardboard.

Do share your experiences/suggestions. Would love to hear them all - even if you think all this is a waste of time!

Vanathi.

PS - This is a good website for all sorts of flashcard printouts - for those interested.

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype>

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Vanathi,let me be the first to respond:

1. I did like them and got them when T was around 2 1/2 yrs.But T was never fond of them and he did not learn anything using those.He learnt his alphabets and numbers from a silly DVD we had at home..well,atleast I found it silly,but it was useful for him.:rotfl

2. Both alphabets and numbers.Now I have addition and subtraction ones and now he seems to be interested in those.i.e. after learning to add and subtract in school already.:crazy

3. I bought them.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi vanathi

1.I use them.He loves it and can spend lot of time with it.
    2.I have 3 sets
    i.ABC-small and capital letter with pictures
    ii.Colours,numbers,shapes- though he learnt all before using this he likesthis too
    iii.Dora character themed opposites
    3.first set (not in the list) i made by myself by taking printouts and sticking it to thick tablet strips..but did not last long.After that all store-brought.
    he learnt abc from a free downloadable software and lift-the-flap books.But the flash cards have helped in building vocabulary.

4. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Vanathi,

I used them wihtout much success. I Made cards using A4 sheet and pasted them on old invitations for numbers from 1 to 10 with numbers on one side and objects drawn and cut off and pasted like tofees, baloons, balls,butterflies. First of all it was too much work. And she preferred tasting them than reading them. She ll ask for the card and ll put it directly in her mouth.
    Then I got some lift the flap and touch and feel books for colors, shapes and numbers . I got her a set of plastic domestic animals and wild animals and so she knows some 20 to 30 animals now.She s also learnign to count now with them. She now knows 12 colours, 12 fruits, 20 veggies,( I prepared flash cards for fruits and veggies by easy method, download pic from google and print and stick to invitation cards)numbers from 1 to 20 (to say but can identify only upto ten) and knows abcd by order but cant identify them even now.(i teach her these with books) So now I ve got blocks with abc on them n we arrange it like train and tell the letter. I ll ask her to move letters from a to f like that she s learning now. I dunno but I feel she s lagging behind for her age. she knows some 5 shlokas and some 15 rhymes she can blabber in her language which only I can identify. She knows the names of all of us and all our inlaws and my parents and siblings. I worry abt her progress. But am trying to do more .

Regards,
    CC

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Thanks Sunitha, Supriya and Charu. I'm hoping to finish making the cards this week - will try it and see.

V.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Vanathi,

Interesting. flash cards and all..technology developments, hmm...nice to see you people discussing so much..only i wish i had something like this when I had problems with DS, lot of my methods have only been my own trials and errors...

come to think of it, i had used charts, diagrams, pictures to teach him. he had problems...

When i read all your experiences it looks as if it is not just 10 years, i have come a long way....was thinking about it just this morning....

7. spandhana

spandhana Bronze IL'ite

hi vanathi,

ya i use flash cards.i bought some alphabet flash cards with both capitals and smalls side by side and one set of sesame street slide and learn interactive flash cards for numbers.he's used to have a lot of interest in these b4 but i'm not seeing that zing in him these days.....he's not concentrating much to what we r saying...he'll be turning 2 this 21st...that might be the reason :)

cheers,
    spandhana

8. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

CC.. how old is ur kid? she just sounds to be perfect.. why do you hv to worry?

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Thanks Spandhana.

V.

10. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Asha,

She is 2 years and 2 months old. But I see kids her age understand and reproduce a lot more than her. May be because she s spending all her time with just me .But am trying more.

Regards,
    CC