1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Washing hair

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Riyasmommy, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hi all, Riya doesn't like her hair washed as she hates the water trickling down her eyes and nose. I use a hand held sprayer to wash her hair (the water outpour is not too strong.) I have tried holding a folded, rolled wash cloth on her forehead to stop the water from trickling down her face, but she moves so much looking for her bath toys that it doesn't help.

Any ideas?? Thanks

Raj

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Look at this Raj - seem to have a lot of ideas.

V.

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks Vanathi. Lots of ideas, but they're all geared more towards older toddlers. Knowing Riya, she'll get tired of mobiles after a couple 'looks' , the shampoo shield sounds like a really good idea, but she doesn't like wearing visors or hats. But I'll give these both a try and see if they work.

How do you wash Aadhu's hair?

Raj

4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I did not have a problem washing P's hair until recently - he seems to object. He says "No soap in eyes!" I try to make a game of it - "Now we scrub, scrub, scrub, now we wash wash, wash..." "Time to close the eyes!!!...", pour some water, "Time to open the eyes, peekaboo" - do this 2-3 times.

It may be a girl thing, though. One of my friends in India has a 4 -year old, and the LO terribly objects to hair washing - so much so she has to bathe the child like an infant, laying her on her legs... (Not trying to scare you)

5. newmommy

newmommy Senior IL'ite

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

This used to work with K in the interim, we give him something to play on the floor. As he bends down, we pour the water over the crown of the head when he is bent down, that way the water does not enter his eyes, I dont know if what I say make sense. He still gasps like as if he cant breathe, but
    we do a quick job, so it has gone off little protest. Of course, he now knows what we are upto and will try to push off the water again.

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Krithika, it makes sense, in fact THAT is the problem in our case. She bends down to look at the toy, then suddenly looks up to hand the toy to me while I am washing her hair. She's a squirmy little one, I tell you! At this stage, I don't think too much of verbal reasoning will work.

Priya, I have the same cup hiding in the deep dungeons of the bathroom closet. :hide: It was given to me by a friend as a baby shower gift, and since I never used it I had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me!!! I'll use it tonight and see if it works. Do you like that cup? Hey, how are you doing? Don't hear from you as often.

Raj

8. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Raj,I used shampoo sheild cap till P was 1 1/2 years.Later he screamed more with that so just a quickie splash.he cries though.But cant help it.He is fine after that.

Now,how do you all dry kid's hair?I gentle blow the hair with dryer.

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

My daughter won't let me touch her hair either for combing or washing and she has lots of curls. She infact cries till she throws up if I wash her hair. Last couple of months what seems to have worked is applying petroleum jelly on her eyebrows (a little above) so that water just slips by on to her cheeks and also using a little glass to pour water - so that the quantity is controlled. Though she still cries, atleast water seems not to get into her eyes.

Drying hair, Supriya I am still towelling her out - blow dryers still scare her.

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Supriya, I towel dry her hair too. Rama, Riya has got a lot of curls too and she has long hair. So when her hair gets wet, the bangs kind of fall into her eyes.

I don't use soap on Riya's face, how else can you get rid of petroleum jelly from her forehead?

Raj