1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Never ask SORRY!!!!!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by shvap_786, Nov 5, 2008.

1. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Hi Moms...

I'm upset and worried coz this issue with my daughter... she was even credited during her nursery for this behaviour from her teacher like this..." never seen a child who tells so much sorry and thank you"

now its contradictory she tells thank you immediately but never tells sorry... i'm getting wild sometimes for this reason and end up thrashing her... i dont want to do that... i would like to find someother ways to change this attitude in this age... i used to tell her very silently , even told so many stories based on this she will listen nicely but maintain silence if i asked to tell her sorry when required....

but to me immediately she tells sorry... not to anyone else even to her daddy she wont tell sorry... she just put her head down and stand without teling sorry if i start pounding, she will be like that till the last and she just maintain without telling sorry , she will cry cry and sleep...

i don't know what to do... do help me friends...

Btw..
    moderators... i think i have posted it in wrong section do move it accordingly... sorry for the inconvinience

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008

2. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

I think there is a certain pattern with all kids.... The more you force them, the more they resist.

I was in the same boat..... Like yours', my kid too would aplologize to me promptly, but to her father... it would take many a words! I tried the "Count till 5 or 10 method"... It did wonders.... It works out for all things big or small..... Till date it hasn't reached 5, nor did I decide yet what to do after I've said the "forbidden number". I tried putting her in the room, that helped a lot too..... after that I went for the number-game (Can't put them in a room when you go out)

But frankly, we cannot force them to say "SORRY" for all the things they did wrong.... It's not like they'll turn in goons or convicts if they didn't aplologize.... So relax.... It's a good thing to ask her too, as to why she doesn't say it anymore - the chances are it may have gone to deaf ears. This was one reason why my daughter refused to say it - She said - I told uncle sorry, but he was watching TV.... & Sometimes Adults also can be such a pain - holding gurdge towards a toddler or chewing gum ki tarha baat ho badatey hai.

Just be sure that their 'sorry' ends with a mamma or pappa or whom so ever they are addressing it to.... makes it sound like they mean it Big Laugh& Tell the receiver to address back by a "It's ok" or "Make sure you don't do it again".... My daughter always expects a "It's ok".... If anything else comes, I have to hear it from her!!!!!

3. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Vahee.. my point on this is.. try after couple of months, and stop annoying her now. i understand how concerned you are, but if there were a forum called induskids, she would hv raised your attitude as a concern there. :rotfl

Couple of months later, try re-introducing sorry to her.. with probably a funny gesture that she might like to imitate and it would restart there.

Same is the case with my daughter who is 2.4 years old... i introduced please, thank you and sorry to her.. all in same fashion. but she never never says sorry when she has to. i also tried all ways, but i dont force her at all. not just in this.. anywhere i try to force, i know it works negative only.
    so take it slow.. unless our seniors have other smart ideas !

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

I agree with Asha, stop forcing her. Instead (and you may already be doing this) show her by example, whenever needed apologize to people in front of her, or even to her without expecting her to do for a while. Her dad should do the same too. Children learn a lot from observing. And you guys have already done a good job with 'thank yous' and 'sorry', it may just be a phase.

Raj

5. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Vahee,

I am going through this too right now. Earlier he used to say sorry by himself but these days he tells me 'no sorry':( I think the word just gets on to him. At the kindergarden he ends up apologising quite often and may be gets annoyed if he has to do that at home too! since last week i have stopped asking him for a 'sorry' (upon DH's insistence). And i can see when he does something that needs an apology he stays quiet and that's the way he expresses or admits his mistake. Let her be...

Latha

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Like a previous poster suggested, back off for a while and lead by example. If you accidentally bump into her, apologise. If you lose your temper with her apologise (I will be unpopular for saying this, but I think children need to be treated with the same respect an adult would be.)
    It is a great thing you are trying to instil good manners. How about some books on polite manners, Sesame Street has one... I think there are a lot of Little Miss Manners book.

nakshatra1 likes this.
  7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Krithika, I totally agree with you there. I think everybody deserves respect whether it's an adult, a three year old or an 11 month old. At our house, we even apologize to our dogs when we accidently bump them or something. bonk Call it weird or force of habit, but I think every living being deserves respect. So you are right on track there.

Raj

nakshatra1 likes this.
  9. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Very true ani... the more i force they more she is stubborn also i can tell...

i tired time out technique for sometime... she does'nt bother.. she always expect other side to tell its ok.. in that case immediate she get convinced... this happens all the time...

10. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

hi asha...
    My daughter is 3.9 yrs old ... she used to tell immediate before... now everything gone... even my dh is telling the same just leave her for you can try later... i'll try...
    may be she might raise there who knows...:hide: