1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Messy Play

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by SupriyaDinesh, Oct 29, 2008.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Mommies,I would like to make my son do messy play - play dough,water colouring and some simple craft.How do i keep the carpet clean while doing such activities.He has a table chair set where i can make him sit and do.But cannot gaurantee that he will not make it in the carpet.Or should i do this all in kitchen which has normal floor easy to clean.Ideas welcome.

Do share what else messy play you do.Thank you.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I do it in the kitchent (that's because we seem to be living there of late, no carpets otherwise). We fingerpaint with turmeric - nontoxic, edible, yuck tasting so it wont ingested a second time LOL. Instead of playdough I do chapati dough coloured it with turmeric so it wont be eaten. This is mainly because I know it will end up in his mouth. I just got some craft supplies today, I am hoping he will be interested. I am also all ears on activities for an almost two year old.

3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi tikka,
    May i know what craft supplies you got?SOme websites have simple ones ,going to give it a try.We will be going for shopping.I have some list in mind- chart paper,glue,crayola suited fo his age.He has some now.I saw some good colouring books .Will try to get those.What else?

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I got some scrapbook quality colour paper. What I want to do with him is start some kind of book for the words he knows and add as he learns new ones. Just plan on getting some stuff from newspapers/glossies. Cut them paste them into the book. I noticed he has been pointing to clocks with every single Titan Raga ad (new dressy watches).
    So got some crafts scissors, glue thingy that will not touch his hand, I have crayon and colour pencils at home. I also want to start making him a book on sleep (long story, we are struggling with sleep issues off and on and I read helping him prepare a book on sleep/bedtime routine will tell him what he is expected to do).
    I am going to get him some file and just put those papers in. K and K will co-author the books (LOL)

5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Supriya, you can either do it in the kitchen or if you want to do it in carpeted rooms, try putting a dark colored rug and the table/chair on that. You can get inexpensive rugs.

I get coloring pages printouts, we have non-toxic crayons, non-toxic washable markers (most of which don't work anymore). I also have some colored construction paper. I tried play dough but DS woudl leave it on out for a while and it would get dried up. I vote for chapathi dough too. Incidentally my LO likes to eat chapathi dough :) You can add strawberry syrup to make it pink, and turmeric to make it yellow. Maybe also food coloring for other colors. I've also tried finger painting but DS did not like it much. he is now learning to use (my regular) scissors to cut paper.

You can also use (cooked) rice as glue.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  6. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

we do the finger painting in the bath tub before taking bath, and can easily wash the paint. and take bath. stringing the beads is another great idea which improves concentration. pretend play too.

-kiran