1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Skin care for preschoolers

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by divyaprashmenon, Oct 27, 2008.

1. divyaprashmenon

divyaprashmenon Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

Happy Diwali to you all!!

My daughter is 2 years and 2 months old.She has got a dry skin.

I want to know some routine care for her skin so that it'll be smooth and shining.

I use Dove soap for her..Any alternatives for soap? I tried besan..but that too,made skin dry.

TIA,

--Divya

2. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI divya...

visit this mangai has given some tips you can try that

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/toddlers/38599-applying-tumeric.html

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I am with you right there, very dry skin prone to eczema. We did Besan as people tell you natural is better, not all the time, I guess. The paed looked at me like I had lost a marble. "Dont you use it in your face pack for oily skin,'' she asked while I was looking at her like what's that.
    Anyways, we use mineral oil/coconut oil massage before bath, lukewarm bath with oilatum. Pat dry. On days he wont let me massage before hand, he gets a rubdown with Moyzen, more of the same mineral oil. I bathe him once in two days, in rainy days I just mop him down with some lukewarm water. Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise like there is no tomorrow. With this routine, we have kicked his eczema almost. His skin looks much healthier.

4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

My 3 year old (and DH) both have dry skin, and here is what DH found to work:
    After bath, apply baby oil generously all over. In 10 minutes or so, the body absorbs all of it and his skin is very soft. He had mild eczema (dry rough patch on skin if I did not moisturize) but with this, it does not seem to happen.

5. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Hi ,

My 2 year old was masasged with almond oil r gingelly oil from birth before bath. After five minutes I ll bath her in lukewarm water with soap. I used powder with kasthuri manjal n pasiparruppu and lot others after soap during bath. She bathes everyday. This was working fine while I was in India. But we came to Canada when she was 9 months old and she started having dry patches in the folds and was itching them continuosly. Took her to doc and found out it was eczema (Actually atopic dermatitis which is a combination of eczema, upper respiratory tract infection which may develop into asthma (if let unattended)). Then my routine chnaged totally. I was using johnson soap n besan and my herbal powder on her before. But I stopped all this and switched to dove soap,(only one bath daily) moisturiser 3 times a day Aveno for dry skin during winter and aveeno for normal skin during other times and aveeno bed time lotion too and parents choice mineral oil. Like as soon as she gets up n brushes I apply mineral oil and change her bed clothes and let it like that for two hours r more. she has her bath around 10 30 am . Then aveeno lotion(dry r normal depending upon season). then at 6 same lotion with cahnge of dress. then bed time lotion b4 bed with change of dress.

Heard that frequent changing of dress prevents the eczema from getting infected with secondary infections. Come rain r shine she has her bath once evryday n rarely she does get her night bath without soap (jus plain water). tHis has worked for me so far. But when her patches get very severe I use betamethsone cream mixed with d moist cream and one r two application s enough to bring it back to normal.

Regards,
    CC