1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddlers and books

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by tikka, Oct 23, 2008.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Dont they love it. Mine loves it a little too much. All that affection means bent board books, torn thick paper ones and unravelling spine. Do you do anything to hold them together, reinforce them?any ideas:idea

Similar Threads
    1. connectgayathri
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kavita01
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. teju
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. bindhudani

bindhudani Senior IL'ite

Get them bound hard but not before the li'l ones finish reading 'em Big Laugh.
    Thats what i've been doin.

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Cello tapes, lots of them. It's a joy for a bookworm mom like me that her daughter loves her books enough to go back to them and 'read' them by pulling the pages out. The pages of one of her books are stuck together because of her constanting drooling on them. :rotfl

My dad used to hard bound our 'lovey' books and comics. He used to do it on his own, but I am sure you can get it done at a book store or something.

Raj

Raj

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I'm still cellotaping torn pages Krithika. So far none of the pages have actually come out but I do have some missing edge-bits on hard covers where the cover dissolved because Aadhu decided to try eating it! I'm not too keen on binding though - would spoil the look of the book to me.

Vanathi.

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

These books do come hard bound. I still get him board books. The flap books are broken down with the flaps folded down in all kinds of permutations and combinations LOL. My ILs still have books they bought their children when they were 3/4. I know a lot improves in the two years, yet I wonder if K is going to be one of the trashers.

6. bindhudani

bindhudani Senior IL'ite

Big LaughBig LaughBig Laugh
    Tikka,
    Do u still hope that u''ll b able to show 'em off to ur grandchildrenBig Laugh
    I wonder if these books will last atleast till our kids finish reading 'em..
    After all kids are kids...let them enjoy reading in their own way:)

7. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This discussion topic caught my attention today (though it was a little old discussion).

OMG...my LO is so fond of books, especially she wants me to read them again and again for her every night, in the mornings when she is ready but gets a little late for her Dad or neighbor Uncle (at times) to pick her up for her playschool!!

Late in the night (10:30 - 11:00pm) she will go on and on..."kadai sollu" (meaning tell me the story). After I finish reading it to her, she will put all the books under her pillow in the crib and will go to sleep.

I buy her board books (mostly), flap books (flaps are just there as collections!!), pull-tab books (pull and pull and pull - the tabs came out long long back).

I am a little hesitant to get her books from the library because of the reason she might tear them. Just want to keep delaying the embarrasment in front of the librarian.

I was totally opposite. I never liked my books torn, bent or uncovered. I used to have my books covered with brown sheet thro' out the year during my school days. I would not lend my books to anyone if I see them not handling with care. bonk

Malathy

8. revathis

revathis Senior IL'ite

Hi,

My daughter too is fond of books. I too stick the torn papers with cello-tape. When she was 14 mth she developed a flair for scribbling and she used to just take a pen and go about scribbling on the books :). So, some of her books are full of cello-tapes and scribbling. I made it clear to her that there are books for writing and reading, she doesnt scribble anymore in the reading books. Tearing of pages has also stopped. My husband gets her 'waste' paper & envelopes to tear and she is happy with it.

Revathi

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I hear you on that, Malathy. I had books from my childhood that I only recently gave away to nephews and nieces. I wont say they were in mint condition, but pretty good. DH's childhood books are almost as good as new. We do let Kiran "read" on his own and not just read to him. The only way that works for us now is to use plastic covers and get him second hand books. I am hoping it will stop at some point.

10. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Oh Malathy, atleast board books helps u, but with Vinay he tears it too:) I am wondering how to teach him, so i thought of teaching him from internet, so when we sit before the computer, he uses key board, presses everything, so i am in a confusion how to teach him!!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009