1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

talk to me about caries...

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by tikka, Oct 7, 2008.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

My LO has texture issues and does not tolerate a toothbrush in his mouth very often. So, it is always a quickie brush for him. Of late, a notice a bit of white discoloration in his front teeth. Could it be the beginning stages of a dental caries. We do not give him any refined sugar/toffee/chocolates/sweets, but he does get honey and cookies with demerera sugar and diluted juice.
    Both DH and my family have poor enamel, just a little worried it could be carries at such an early age?

2. shefali75

shefali75 New IL'ite

Hi K

I have been reading your post they are really helpfull, now little K does not want to put tooth brush in his mouth i would say let him watch you and your husband brush teeth that way he will realize it that it does not hurt , he's just frightened . That's how introduce tooth brush to my son , so every morning i go to brush my teeth he follow and of course with little one it's always try and error.

Shefali

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

It could be a sign of Early Childhood Caries. Check this out from ADA (American Dental Association). My dentist told me to take Riya to a Pediatric dentist atleast before her first birtday, provided she cuts teeth before that, which she hasn't yet. She also told me to wean her off of night time feeding as soon as she cuts teeth, that could cause premature tooth decay also.

It won't hurt to make a visit to the dentist.

Raj

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Raj, mmm, I doubt that. The mechanism of breastfeeding is completely different from bottle feeding. BM does not pool around the teeth as it would in bottle feeding while sleeping. You may find this article an interesting read. K's cousins are fed a bottle of pediasure in the night, with its sucrose and lactose it is twice as deadly. But no caries in sight.
    My dentist does not seem to think breastfeeding is linked to caries, however poor hygiene might be!
    Shefali, thanks for writing. With Kiran, his texture aversion issues are huge. The brush kinda tickles his mouth I think, he will let me brush some times, others he will scream. He will not eat potatoes, other root veggies, porridges, he will not step on water or a wet floor. He will not drink a pulpy juice. I am hoping this phase will go away soon.
    I was hoping the white lesions wont be caries. Looks like that now... Just have to take him to the dentist the next time I am going!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Krithika, you maybe right about BFing and tooth decay, I was just sharing what my dentist told me. Riya weaned herself off of night time feeding since she was around 5 months old so I didn't pay enough attention to do any further research on it. From the symptoms you mentioned, it did sound like ECC but only your dentist can tell. Good luck.

Raj

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Raj, you're right in passing on the information.
    I am slightly worried given the family history. The reason why I put out that link is that breastfeeding has become so devalued in our societies, east, west. It's counterintuitive, if breastfeeding were to cause caries/all the other problems present day science attributes to it, then our ancestors - before formula was invented, before they thought of night weaning as a panacea for poor sleep, caries, etc. - would have evolved not to lactate or have become edentate :).
    I had nightweaned K around 15 months (accidentally, we slept in different rooms because I cant tolerate a/c), it is only recently he has returned nursing x3 a night.

PS: I can see you've been busy. The forum looks cleaned up and neat. Can you come home sometime and help with the organisation ;)

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks, Krithika. But I can't take all the credit, it goes to all three of us mods. Would love to visit Chennai sometime though, and sure I'll help you out, although I must confess my life is far from being organized right now with a 10 month old scooting around. :)

Raj

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

You are totally right about evolution taking care of us if we had any issues with breastfeeding. I knew BFing is not the priority here in the west, thanks to the formula making companies and a society that mainly believes canning and bottling with a big dose of preservatives is the way to go, but I didn't realize breastfeeding is not valued in India anymore either!

Raj

P.S - Didn't mean to hijack this thread by steering it towards 'issues on BFing'. I am just thinking out loud.

9. drchitraprabha

drchitraprabha New IL'ite

Dear Tikka
    Just wanted to mention that breastmilk by itself doesnt cause caries though it has lactose.(Its the NME or the non milk extrinsic sugars which are cariogenic).But breastfeeding at night time before putting the child to bed is not recommended as the salivary flow is reduced in the night and saliva itself has a protective effect against caries.If there is no visible cavity then its not too late.If you kid is not happy using the brush try getting a brush with his favourite cartoon character.Please let me know how old your kid is so that we can then work on the action plan
    Regards
    Chitra

10. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Thanks Chitra, for the reassurance. K is going on 22 months, has had teeth all of 8 months only. I keep reading that remineralisation is possible before the formation of caries. I see he has these streaks, the surface is not pitted. SO I am hoping I caught it really early. I still have not found a non-floridated toothpaste here, so I have been using a sliver of flouridated and doing a quick brushing and cleaning it with a washcloth before he can swallow his saliva, going over his teeth with a washcloth after every meal. He did have a tendency to graze throughout the day. We are trying to enforce stricterr mealtime now..
    I am not sure about night nursing, I see your point. But all literature that has come my way through a breastfeeding support website, tells me it is the introduction of Staphylococcus mutans rather than breastmilk that is the threat. Anyways in the night, he never went to bed without brushing his teeth and has always had a drink of water after nursing. Unfortunately, nightweaning/weaning is not an option for us till K outgrows his dairy sensitivity.
    We will be taking him to a dentist soon enough, till then I am all ears about what else I can do. (are you a paediatric dentist?) Can I impose on you to explain remineralisation to me then. Thanks in advance.
    PS: We dont do any TV anymore, no cartoons LOL. But I think he has issues with textures as in some sensory integration issues. It runs in the family (me, my nephies, we have issues with eating certain kind of food, etc.) So I would like to see what else can be done other than forcing the issue.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008