1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

whats your little ones favourite books ?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by mangaii, Sep 25, 2008.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hi everyone,
    Whats your little ones favourite books ?
    We read lot of Animal Planet series . We also read lot of snow man books.
    Lets share some of books our little one likes so we can learn from other.
    Thanks
    Mangai

2. spandhana

spandhana Bronze IL'ite

hi mangali,

my LO is 22months old.he loves reading Good Night Moon Series by Margaret wise Brown,Goldie and the three little bears,some of eric carle's works.
    btw,how old is ur LO?
    I also want to start with story books that r engaging and entertaining,but i've come across story books mostly with 3-4 lines
    any of u ,plz give me some gud story books names with one liners that r fun-to-read.

thanks in advance

cheers,
    spandhana

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

My 14 mnth old is at present crazy about "One fish two fish red fish blue fish" by Dr.Seuss. I read that to him atleast twice day (sometimes more often) but usually not all the way through. At bedtime we have a series of 6 books (Fairytales from the ladybird series) that we read, one a day. He loves books in general so our house is full of his picture books!

Vanathi.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi Mangai..
    We go to library every saturday..to get new set of books..right now he likes the otto series book(otto goes to school,otto goes to beach etc),then he like dora books..other usual board books- ABC,colours,shapes..about people etc,spot series..
    He has a abc lift the flap..his favourite,Elmo musical book.
    Infact i read a potty book(for boys) board book..he really understood a lot from that..Now he is completely off diapers...we read together 2-3 times a day..different set of books each time..

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Our favorites are any book by Eric carle.....we always pick them from the library and own quite a few of them too.

6. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Books for Toddlers

Hi all..

It would be nice if all of you could share what books you used for your toddler and will recommend to others...It would be helpful for many of us here...

The following information would help us search for it precisely:
    1. The title of the book.
    2. The author/publisher (Indian/foreign).
    3. Cost of the book.
    4. For which age it is appropriate.
    5. What you liked/disliked about the book.

To start with,
    I bought some board books for my little one. These are from Indian publishers.

1. Vikas board book animals - Vikas publishers. This had clear illustrated pictures, two or three in a page. I liked this out of their board books of other categories.
    2. Lovely board book of Fruits, veg, colors, alphabets, numbers, animals - Dreamland Publishers. These had real pictures, but I felt they had put too many on one page. But the picture quality is good.

Any other suggestions mommies....Your suggestions can be for any subject/age...If not now, it will help us in due course.

Thanks,
    Radhee.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Re: Books for Toddlers

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/toddlers/36109-whats-your-little-ones-favourite.html

We buy any book that catches our fancy.
    We love the Tulika series... I am yet to try the bilingual stuff. Their latest is a simple story line of three or four pages of single line stuff with a thumbprint illustration for pictures. We have been reading these books - (Where is Thangi and Dark) for a few months now and has surprisingly survived an energetic almost three year old.

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: Books for Toddlers

I'm merging this one Radhee.

Some favourites:

1. The "Spot" series - Where is Spot?, Spot's first walk etc. Eric Hill wrote them and they cost approx Rs.200-250 per book, They are lift-the-flap books and great fun! Only thing is the newer series is paperback but still very good quality and resistant to tears (DS is pretty good with books and hasnt torn any yet). Age - from 1 all the way up to 3-4; there are more complex ones for older readers.

2. Tulika - look at their website for an age-wise list. Dosa and Grandma's eyes are good to start with (1-2 yrs); other titles we liked are the entire Bahadur elephant series (I'm so sleepy, Colour colour Kamini, Snoring Shanmugam, Mallipoo where are you?) (2+ yrs). We have the first 5 in the thumbprint books. Also the latest "Where's that cat?" - thats good for a large age range because its mostly detailed pictures and you can do different things with it as the child grows older; DS loves it! "Malli" is another favourite. Most of these are under 100 Rs. Also we buy many of these in Tamil or the bilingual Tamil/English version. (Other good ones are "Avnnet aunty's mobile phone" and "Norbu's shoes" - both 2+).

V.

9. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Nice to see kids eager towards reading books,but do they listen to ur reading or do they want to play with the book and dont allow u to read,cos my son always do that.If so wat do u do?

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

San - DS only had one period (8-9 mnths) when he wasnt interested in the story. Otherwise he loves to be read to so I've had no trouble in that. It helps to do different "voices", act some of the scenes, ask them to point out things on the page, talk about the characters and what they did, add "songs/music effects" in-between, ask them what happens next, read a line and pause before a word so they can fill it in. I also change the words in the more "difficult" books to those DS can understand (only you have to remeber what words you used as the child surely will !). Good luck!

V.

PS - Picking books with his fav animals/foods etc might work too.