1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kid & Computer games...

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by shvap_786, Sep 20, 2008.

1. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI frnds...

MY daughter is 3.5 yrs... in our know circle i cud c all our friends kid who is of same age or even younger to my daughter play games in computer... not full fledge games but still their parents start teaching their kids... so when we visit them my daughter get attracts to that she is asking me to teach...

i'm not interested to teach her at this early stage... this is my opinion... coz i feel some kids get addict to computer games and y to introduce in the early stage itself... anyway when they grow up sure they landup using computer and play games which we cant avoid...

wht is ur opinion frnds... coz sometimes i get confused when she keep asking me... when she c my neighbour kid younger to her playing some car games etc in the computer......

how can i divert... and pls pour ur opinion... whtr to teach or not...

(strictly speaking my opinion is no... but would like to get suggestions)

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I am with you. My son does not play computer games and now he is 5 and when I ask him to play, he is actually not interested. You are right a time will come when he will get introduced/induced again. As far diverting your childs attention, what worked for me is I made my son use internet to do surfing..no not the way you think but pick a subject of his choice and look at images/videos etc. So whe he was 3, he was mostly interested in fruits and vegetables and googling images of these would bring him incredible joy and the + for me was he was learning spellings! So he never felt he was not using comps as much as his friends. Also we mostly concentrated on children learning websites like starfall.com, poissonrouge.com as suggested by other ILs here and some websites from tv shows, mostly PBS shows like between the lions etc which also have games!

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

4. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI srama...

thnx for ur informative tips.... i went thru the website also.. real good one...

5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I have a 3-year old son, and he loves computers. I did not do anything specific to teach him, but he observes and learns very quickly. For instance he has now mastered the mouse movements on a laptop (which is a bit more complicated than the regular desktop mouse). However I am sensitive to overusing it, so he is allowed to watch a few videos, and pictures but after a set time (say a half hour) he has to say "bye bye to the computer". I use it to show him toddler friendly websites like Fisher Price, Starfall etc. I also let him watch a few "train videos" (Indian Railways train clips) in YouTube since he loves trains. We also look at pictures together on Google Images (For example: choose a theme - say a bear, we look at black bears pictures, white bear pictures, vegetable pictures, fruits pictures etc)

I also talk to him constantly about what he sees on the screen so it is interactive and not him staring at the screen.

6. Lalitha venkate

Lalitha venkate Senior IL'ite

hi pavarun

i think v both r doing same things, only thing is my kid is crazy abt cars i show him lot of car pictures, rest of them r common between us.

i was wondering wther this is correct or not, but now im little bit happy that i have a partner for me

7. laxmi_subhas

laxmi_subhas Senior IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I want to share some of my similar expereince with my 3 yr old tot. When my son was 2 yrs old, we used to show animal pictures, birds, fruits in my latop. He showed so much of interest and always asking us to show the same in laptop. We did not hesitate to show him. rather he was not addicted also. It continued for few mnths. Once we were going in our car, one bike was going near to our car. I showed him the bike and showed him the helmet "see yellow colour helmet" just to teach him colours. From that day onwards I noticed he was so mch interested in bike and helmet. Whenever we go out he searched for bikes and helmets. Even when we go to mall also he always says I want bike and helmet. One day he had seen red colour bike and he cried so much for that red colour bike. seeing his interest my husband showed him different types of bikes in his laptop. He felt so happy. He learnt kids bike games also in laptop. After a mnth we noticed he learnt how to move mouse, what is spacebar, what is Enter key, arrows key etc. Whenever we open laptop he make so much of fuss that he wants to play bike game in laptop. Im somewhat tensed that he is getting addicted to bike games. Im afraid that it may affect his eyes. I used not to allow him to play for long time. He didn't listen. I became so stubborn that I didnt allow him to play for long time. My son is 3yrs old now he learnt how to open laptop now. he can open internet explorer window. He can type ""b"" in google tool bar. then he selects bike game and plays by himself without any our help. He understands now that he can play for one hour not for so long. He is not creating any fuss when we shutdown the laptop after a hour.

I dont know what I have done is right r wrong. But after reading some of your posts, Im getting little bit tensed now.

Anyways I stopped showing animals and birds in laptop now. I used to take prints in my office and showing it to my son.

cheers

laxmi

8. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI frnds...

MY daughter uses my laptop frequently...watching her birds cd's she will operate herself... but not addict and all... but when she c other kid and wanted to play bike or car games wht will i do...... in that case i'm worried but some frnds gave here some useful sites which was not game site but quite interesting... she enjoys that now...

thnx for all ur inputs...

9. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vahee
    I feel it is fine to give the kids to play for an hour or so becoz this will increase their memory power and concentration in furture.
    Yes with a very trict instruction one hr means just one hr no more or less.

10. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Thnx for ur idea dear... i'll try and c.... will let u know how she reacts after an hr....