1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

pocket money and piggy bank- when to introduce?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Traveller, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hello fellow moms,

My boy is 3.5 years old. Yesterday he was very nice to an elderly gentleman at the bus stop. He was rewarded with 2 euros:) While my son understands that we have to pay money to buy something, that dad has to work to get money so we can buy him candies etc., he quite didn't understand that he could use that gift to buy himself something.

In India, as you all might know, it's quite common to receive money as gift whenever we visit/are visited by someone. Until last year he didn't quite capture in his mind this concept and he would just keep quiet when we took the money on his behalf. But I know henceforth it might not be so.

This triggered the thought in me.. may be we should talk to him about piggy bank, pocket money etc., But i don't know how... please pour in your experiences/thoughts/tips

Latha

2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hi Latha,
    I'm thinking since he is 3.5 years old as you introduce money also involve a coupon system.Like create a coupon book with some colours and stick pictures of something he likes and put the number of euros needed for that. As and when he gets euro ask him to count so when he reaches that number he can exchange for a coupon and later you can buy stuffs for him.As far as saving I think you can give him some kind of certificate once he reached certain amount and you can pretend to play like a bank.If your already doing this i'm not of much help.
    Thanks
    Mangai

PS:By the way your no longer my friend b'cos you have such high metabolism.I eat and put on weight like anything.Antha katha koncham entha pakkam annupunga.. :cheers

Bye
    Mangai

3. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI latha and mangai...

All these days i was thinking its too early...

latha u gave me an idea to start this... coz my daughter is already 3.5 yrs...

mangai thnx for ur idea...

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

That's a nice idea, Mangai. Must see how much the lazy mommy executesbonk. It's very very rare that he gets money in Europe. That 2 euros he proudly showed his dad and gifted it to him:( But this idea will come to help when we go to India next year.

Kaathuthane athukku enna... evalavu venalum anuparen:hide:

Latha